Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » ClamAV on Mac OS X Server
  •  
MoisiePants

Send a private message to this user
Hello everyone

Apologies if this seems like a bit of a basic question - I'm a bit of a Unix noob, and I'm not sure if I'm doing things wrong or the machine is doing things wrong!

I'm trying to configure Kerio Mailserver on my Mac OS X Server machine to use the built-in ClamAV scanner - but I'm not having much luck!

I'm running Mac OS X Server 10.4.11 and KMS 6.5.0.

I've followed the instructions here to setup the startup script, and that appears to be working fine: I can see the clamd process running in Activity Monitor.

I've also followed the instructions here to edit the config file to make ClamAV run on port 3310 on 127.0.0.1. However, when I run lsof -i:3310, I get no response - which I suppose suggests that ClamAV isn't running on that port.

Consequently, if I attempt to enable ClamAV in KMS, I get the message that "Clam AntiVirus failed to start: Unable to initialize plugin, error:Cannot connect to Clam AV on 127.0.0.1:3310".

Perhaps I didn't setup the config file correctly? Here's what I did:

- I found clamav.conf and opened it with Pico;
- I changed two lines to remove the comment # from the beginning - these were the TCPSocket and TCPAddr lines;
- I saved the file with the name clamd.conf
- I rebooted the machine.

If anyone can guide me, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks,

Pants.

The best of times to you all...

Pants
  •  
MoisiePants

No-one?... Sad

Pants
  •  
kthomas

Did you download and install ClamAV as the link you posted suggests?
If so, your startup item is probably running the ClamAV that is included with OS X Server, rather than the newer version you installed and configured. The older ClamAV has a separate config file, which is why it is not connecting to Kerio.
In the Terminal, you can type in:
locate clamd.conf
to find the config files.
I'm running KMS 6.5.0 and OS X Server 10.4.11 with the default ClamAV and it works, I edited the config located in: /etc/spam/clamav/clamd.conf
--
-Keith
  •  
MoisiePants

Hi Keith

Thanks for the reply - appreciated!

Initially, I didn't download and install ClamAV as the link suggested - I was intending to use the built-in version shipped with Mac OS X Server.

However, your suggesting to do a locate clamd.conf helped - it seems I was editing the wrong .conf file!

So I tried what I thought would be the right file - but still no joy. So I decided to follow the link and download and install the newer release (0.93) of ClamAV. However, I then found much clearer documentation here instead.

Well - I say clearer - as I wanted to be able download the digital sig files, I had to download and install the GMP library. Which, in turn, meant I had to download and install MacPorts! All this for a Unix noob.... Embarassed

Anyway, I've managed to install this lot, and I can see clamd and freshclam running, and the logs show them as running happily - hurrah! Very Happy

So: onto KMS: now, when I enable ClamAV, KMS thinks for a while and then posts this dialogue:

"Clam AntiVirus failed to start: Detection of test virus EICAR failed..."

The message goes on to suggest that you might have another antivirus product running, and this has cleaned EICAR out of your store folder.

Well - I haven't got another antivirus running. Sad

So, I tried reinstalling the KMS package - no joy - and then updating to 6.5 patch 1 - still no joy.

So near, yet so close!

If anyone has any bright ideas, I'd be really grateful!

Thanks,

Pants.

Pants
  •  
ctlmb

I didn't care about the digital signatures, and I've had issues with MacPorts, so I just downloaded the latest build of clamav and used this in the configure command for the build and made the changes in the config file as you noted:

./configure CFLAGS="O0"

I believe this CFLAGS is noted in the PDF that you referenced. My problem is that upon reboot, even though I set Clamav to start up first and KMS to start up last, KMS says that Clamav isn't working. I then turn off Clamav and turn it on again in the admin console, hitting "apply" between each step, and it works. One thing I could try is setting KMS so that it doesn't start up until it detects Clamav, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
  •  
limich

"Clam AntiVirus failed to start: Detection of test virus EICAR failed..."

In the Kerio Admin Console,
I changed a setting from ClamAV
Antivirus - Clam Antivirus - Options - UseStreamOnLocalhost 1

This turns off the checking for the testvirus.

it was posted somewhere in the kerio forums.

to get freshclam working I used the built in Serveradmin - Mail - Settings - filter - refresh junk and virus Database..

•  
katiei

We've been seeing the same problem as reported by the original poster " Clam AntiVirus failed to start: Unable to initialize plugin, error:Cannot connect to Clam AV on 127.0.0.1:3310", but we are running Kerio on Leopard 10.5.3 and the pathways to the config files are different in leopard. has anyone been able to solve this problem on a leopard server and can point me in the right direction? thank you

•  
NigelH

Kerio Mail Server 6.7.2 Build 7821
Mac OS X Server 10.5.8
  •  
katiei

I got clamAV to work on 10.5.3 by doing the following:

Edit config file:
edit /private/etc/clamd.conf
you need to set "TCPSocket 3310" and you probably want to set "TCPAddr 127.0.0.1" ...and remove the comments from this line

Then we created a launchd file (we used lingon) to turn on clamd at startup: /usr/bin/clamd

and now it works Very Happy
  •  
NigelH

katiei wrote on Fri, 27 June 2008 19:01

Edit config file:
you need to set "TCPSocket 3310" and you probably want to set "TCPAddr 127.0.0.1" ...and remove the comments from this line

Then we created a launchd file (we used lingon) to turn on clamd at startup: /usr/bin/clamd

Nice. Is this with the install Clam AV for 10.5.3?

Mac OS X Server 10.5.8
  •  
katiei

NigelH wrote on Fri, 27 June 2008 20:13

Edit config file:

This is with a stock 10.5.3 install, xcode, and kerio. I didn't have to reinstall ClamAV, the default OS one seemed to work
  •  
NigelH

katiei wrote on Fri, 27 June 2008 20:28

NigelH wrote on Fri, 27 June 2008 20:13

Edit config file:

This is with a stock 10.5.3 install, xcode, and kerio. I didn't have to reinstall ClamAV, the default OS one seemed to work

Great. Thanks for sharing.

Mac OS X Server 10.5.8
  •  
MoisiePants

Thanks for sharing that Katiei!

Just one thing for anyone else who's fumbling in the dark:

On my system (Mac OS X Server 10.5.7), the clamd file referenced in the launchd is /usr/sbin/clamd...

Otherwise, it all worked with the stock installation! Yay! Very Happy

Pants
  •  
ebatte

Are there updated instructions anywhere on getting the stock clamav in Snow Leopard Server (10.6.Cool to work with Kerio Connect?

It seems the location of clamd.conf changes in each version so it is unclear which should be edited to get it working for tcp scanning with Kerio Connect.

Thanks,
Eric
ctlmb

Eric, just install ClamXav, and you should be good to go with a ClamAV 0.97.1 backend, or do you need to use the stock ClamAV?

http://www.clamxav.com/

[Updated on: Fri, 01 July 2011 23:45]

Previous Topic: Edit Labels in Kerio Calendar
Next Topic: Migrating Mail Server
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Jul 28 12:17:19 CEST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01044 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.