Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » WinXP SP3 Breaks Kerio MS on WinXP
  •  
JnascECSI

Send a private message to this user
Just giving a heads up for anyone running Kerio MS on WinXP.

Don't install SP3.

This morning i installed SP3 on our WinXP Kerio Mail Server latest build and once it was done and i rebooted Kerio was running fine.

But this is were the fun began, All services were dead No Webmail,Pop3,Smtp,Smtps.

I tried pinging the IP and got no responce, So i thought maybe it broke the NIC, so i updated the NIC to the latest Drivers no use. The machine itself could browse the internet with no problem but it would'nt responce to any scans for any port using Nmap.

This machine also has ICS disabled and has no other firewall running "Uses Hardware firewall" .

Once i did a system restore everything worked fine again. So anyone using WinXP, i would'nt update to SP3 and be a beta tester for Microshaft.
  •  
sedell

JnascECSI wrote on Sat, 03 May 2008 09:40

I tried pinging the IP and got no responce, So i thought maybe it broke the NIC, so i updated the NIC to the latest Drivers no use. The machine itself could browse the internet with no problem but it would'nt responce to any scans for any port using Nmap.

This machine also has ICS disabled and has no other firewall running "Uses Hardware firewall" .

KMS wasn't broken, that's a Windows problem. Not accepting any inbound connections, including ping, isn't a mail server problem. Did you double check the Windows Firewall settings? That sounds like a firewall issue, and Windows XP service packs have a tendency to change firewall settings.

Scott
  •  
JnascECSI

sedell wrote on Mon, 05 May 2008 07:50

JnascECSI wrote on Sat, 03 May 2008 09:40

KMS wasn't broken, that's a Windows problem. Not accepting any inbound connections, including ping, isn't a mail server problem. Did you double check the Windows Firewall settings? That sounds like a firewall issue, and Windows XP service packs have a tendency to change firewall settings.

I'm aware that it did'nt really Break Kerio, My point was to bring attention that If your running Kerio on WinXP like i do that SP3 will hose any communications to KMS.

And also as i stated this WinXP box has ICS "windows Firewall" Disabled by Policy and Services so not sure how SP3 could have caused a issue when the Service is disabled and has Local policy disabled for it also.

It was a friendly heads up to those running KMS on WinXP thats all.
  •  
Nixs

I don't know if this is it or not, but Microsoft was to include MS-NAP in SP3;
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/2415-1035_11-177853.htm l

"NAP can also be used to manage the health of standard desktop systems ... to determine if access to the network should be permitted."

Previous Topic: Password rejected with Webmail and Outlook Express but Outlook OK
Next Topic: paid spam blacklists
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 06:39:56 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00373 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.