Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Blackberry local cable sync ?
  •  
mmbitguy

Send a private message to this user
I have two blackberry smartphone users who desire to sync via their local usb cable, but I am running into problems getting it to work. Does anyone have any experience with this - can it be done?
  •  
bishbtw

Hi,
You can use blackberry desktop software to sync with outlook calendars, contacts, tasks, and notes. I'm pretty sure they will only sync when you have outlook setup with a pst file...meaning they won't sync when using Kerio Outlook Connector.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
  •  
mmbitguy

Thanks for the response. My users were using the desktop manager version 4.2 which does not include the intellisync software, so I downloaded the latest version(4.3).

I have tried both the offline and non-offline kerio connector and still cannot sync the calendar and contacts though mail is flowing through it to the redirector...

Can anyone shine some light on this?

[Updated on: Thu, 08 May 2008 18:39]

•  
bishbtw

hi mmbitguy,
Are you saying you can use KOC and Desktop Manager to sync your calendar and contacts? Do you have KOC setup with a personal folder?

Kevin
  •  
mmbitguy

If I use the KOC with a PST file I am afraid that I would lose the ability to manage the calendar / contacts via web? Isn't that true?

To clarify, we can get email flowing through the RIM Desktop Manager to the redirector using the KOC or KOFF, but have not been successful to get the calendar and contacts to go. If we configure a PST as the primary store, I am afraid that the user will lose the ability to see the calendar or manage it via WEB...

[Updated on: Thu, 08 May 2008 18:52]

•  
bishbtw

I'm not sure what happened....I read the following in your post, but it seems to have changed:

Thanks for the response. My users were using the desktop manager version 4.2 which does not include the intellisync software, so I downloaded the latest version(4.3) and am able to use the Kerio Outlook Connector and sync Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Email. The redirector also functions to push email when the user is not connected locally.

My last post was asking if you were able to successfully have this type of setup work. I'm in the same situation. I would like to have my blackberry sync with my calendar and contacts while using KOFF or KOC.
  •  
jledbett

I have quite a few users that I would like this to work for. I was under the impression this would not work. I havent tried it in a while, but the blackberry software has at least in the past accessed the pst directly and therefore would not work with KOC or KOFF. I would love for it to work with the KOFF, would solve a few issues for me. Right now I have a problem trying to get blackberry users access to public calendars in their Outlook. Of course the users with blackberries are the ones who need the calendars the most.

Any solutions? I am not interested in third party subscriptions, I am already paying enough for blackberry data package and Kerio.
  •  
mmbitguy

We think we are very close to a zero cost solution for syncing the Blackberry with the Kerio server. Check out an open source software solution from http://www.funambol.com. We have configured the server on our net. There is a small app you will have to upload onto the blackberry to perform the sync. As soon as we complete testing I will let you know.

I'm not a fan of adding more server apps to maintain, but you can't beat the cost if it works.
  •  
cthomas

Any word on your testing? I am running into the same issues.

- C. Thomas
  •  
leetheman

First off download the Kerio Sync Connector and install it.

Then......

You need to set up two profiles (via the control panel / mail)

One profile wil be the user's MAPI (KOC) mail for regular use.

Second profile will be IMAP - Yes IMAP - for and can be called "sync with Berry".

Open Outlook with the IMAP profile and u will probably get a prompt from Kerio sync. - - - Follow it - - Test the connection - - - Set it to sync on start up - - set it to sync every 10 minutes or so.

Open your Berry desktop sofware and configure the sync to use the "sync with berry" profile

sync on berry desktop

sync again on outlook

close outlook

open outlook to regular KOC profile and viola - your stuff is there

A two step process - kind of a pain but is only answer short of an iphone or blackjack

lee
  •  
leetheman

btw
Kerio sync is being canned - KOC does provide all functions EXCEPT the berry wired sync.

NotifyLink is the Kerio preffered berry sync solution

lee
  •  
bjrflip

I think anyone who wants to Sync their BB should send a petition to Kerio to write a connector. If Zimbra can do it, why not Kerio. Shocked
  •  
jcoffren

there is a work around for calendar items. download the Google mobile updater and the Gmail desktop client. It recognizes Kerio. Unfortunately you have to set up a gmail account to use as the relay but it does synch bidirectionally and solves the problem. the only piece I haven't seen a work around for is the contacts synch so you have to work without an efficient way to update your blackberry added contacts.

Do you have a gmail/google account? If not, you will need to sign up first. Go to gmail.google.com.
If so, then follow below

Install on your laptop:

http://dl.google.com/googlecalendarsync/GoogleCalendarSync_I nstaller.exe

On you BB:
Visit mobile.google.com from your BlackBerry® browser and use Google Mobile Updater to download all products with a single click. You will then need to sign in from your BB and manually sync the first time. After that, it is automatic.

•  
scottwilkins

Blackberries are plagued with middleware. Cruddy middleware too. Always have been, probably always will be. Even in a pure Exchange environment you need this middleware. I do my best to move users away from Blackberry. I'm not a big iPhone fan either, but I'd rather they use that than a Blackberry.

What I've been waiting for, and have yet to see is a simple Blackberry device application that will allow direct Exchange sync connectivity on the device. It's a simple Java script device, so you'd think someone could do it with little to no effort. Might be wrong on that though, but I'm sure who ever would do that could have a very nice market ready for them.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 August 2008 20:20]

cthomas

leetheman wrote on Wed, 06 August 2008 09:52

First off download the Kerio Sync Connector and install it.

The Kerio Sync Connector does not seem to be available via the Kerio website any longer.

Funambol seems to be waay overkill for simply syncing calendars and contacts.

I'm using KOFF 6.5.2 with BB Desktop 4.2.0.14 and I just want to do a simple USB sync. What are my options?

- C. Thomas
Previous Topic: OS X: Local users to Open Directory users
Next Topic: Bulk Remove Addresses From Mailing List
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 17:18:01 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00525 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.