Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » keriocalendar to web (html)
  •  
lobo

Send a private message to this user
Hello everybody!

I want publish a special Keriocalendar (Example “Events”) managed by some People (mac and win-dows user) as a public html calendar. Just like iCal2Web (Mac)

Is it possible and how?

Thanks

•  
ahoutzer

I posted the same question a week or two ago, and got dead silence for an answer. I have since worked around limitations, which apparently are in Apple's iCal software, and have a solution that is working now. This solution does not seem elegant to me, but it is working.

Background:
-- iCal (Apple's client software for calendars) has the ability to post read-only html calendars to web servers, including Apple's .Mac service.
-- Kerio has two ways to coordinate sharing of calendars with iCal clients: 1) Kerio iSync Connector and 2) CalDAV server (requires MacOS X version 10.5 at the client).
-- iSync Connector is problematic. Calendars get out of sync and get duplicated. When glitches occur, users see multiple copies of the same calendar and get messages from iSync saying that they have large numbers of events to synchronize (hundreds or even thousands) when they have not changed events. This can be fixed, but it is a maintenance hassle.
-- If you use the CalDAV method, then Apple's iCal software will not allow you to publish the shared calendar, so you cannot share the calendar to the general public (non-KMS users) as an html page.

My Solution (please someone tell me if you have a better way!):
-- Create a user account in KMS for the purpose of owning these calendars that you want to share as html pages. Let's call the user CalShare
-- Create your calendars in this CalShare user and set access rights for everyone who should be able to edit the calendars or view them within their client calendar software.
-- On each client, set up iCal or other client software to access their CalDAV accounts and get the calendars delegated to them.

At this point, you have basic shared calendars for your KMS users. Now to publish them to an external web site.

-- Set up one Mac that is always on, installing the iSync Connector on this Mac. This is the only machine that will use the iSync Connector, so any glitches will be localized to this one machine. Because this machine is in your control as administrator, you won't have to field problem reports from all of your users. Maintenance is minimized.
-- On this Mac, set iSync Connector to sync to the CalShare account, synchronizing with all of the calendars that are to be published to the web.
-- In the iCal Software on this Mac, right-click on each of these synchronized calendars and Publish them to your web site. Because this one Mac is using the iSync Connector and not the CalDAV shared calendars, this one Mac is able to Publish the calendars to html.

In my case, my Kerio MailServer computer is a Mac. I use that same Mac for publishing shared calendars to html, so there is no additional computer dedicated to this process.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:07]

•  
lobo

Thanks for support, It works!

•  
thebane90

That seems like a lot of work. Here's what I did.

I wrote a shell script on my web server to grab a calendar data file from the Kerio server. The shell script then used SED to change the text around a little, and then copied the data file to the Calendars folder in a PHP iCalendar installation. The shell script runs every couple minutes, so the web calendar calendar is always up to date.

•  
lgtech

Your solution sounds intriguing. Would you be willing to post your script? What calendar data file is you script grabbing?
  •  
thebane90

Honestly, I wrote that script quite a while ago. We've actually changed web systems since then so and my script isn't in use. The files might still be on our web server, though. I'll take a look tomorrow and I'll post the code if I find it.
  •  
lgtech

Wow talk about a fast reply! Smile If the script is a hassle to find don't sweat it. What would really help is if you or someone else could point me to where the calendar data is stored I could probably figure out a solution that fits my needs.
  •  
thebane90

I'm a dork with a laptop on standby. What can I say? Razz

I don't remember where the files were. With the new versions of Kerio, they may not even be kept in the same place. I'll see what I can dig up and I'll try to post tomorrow morning.

Peace out.
  •  
brucemcl

I'm not sure if this will help in this specific situation, but here goes:
In iCal 3.0.4 Leopard, you can now do two way syncing between iCal and Google Calendars.

So IF the Kerio sync connector can sync directly to the Google Calendar in iCal, you have a calendar online.
  •  
thebane90

Here's the script that I wrote a while ago.
-------------------------
#!/bin/sh
# This line shouldnt' be needed, but it's included because I don't know what I'm doing

#Download ics file from mail server
curl -u USERNAME:PASSWORD https://MAILSERVERADDRESS/ical/Public%20Folders/District%20C alendar%2007-08 > /Volumes/ServerHD/users/www_admin/Desktop/district.ics

#Change directory so next step can find the file
cd /Volumes/ServerHD/users/www_Admin/Desktop

#Change calendar name in ics file and resave file
for file in $(grep -il "district" *.ics)
do
sed -e "s/Username's calendar/Elizabethtown Area School District/g" $file > /Volumes/ServerHD/tmp/tempfile.tmp

#Change to PHP iCal data directory
cd /Volumes/ServerData/etown/calendar/calendars

#Change permissions of edited data file (not sure why, but I had to do this)
chmod 777 /Volumes/ServerData/etown/calendar/calendars/district.ics

#Copy data file into PHP iCal data folder
cp /Volumes/ServerHD/tmp/tempfile.tmp district.ics
done
----------------------------
I set this as a cron (or launchd) job to run every 5 minutes or so. I'll try to help any problems as best as I can.
  •  
lgtech

That's good information. I was still hoping to be able to access the calendar data directly because I want to build my own php calendar.

I've already attempted the scenario you've described but I used WebCalendar from sourceforge to subscribe to a kerio calendar. That way the Kerio calendar is sucked into a mysql database that I have control over. Unfortunately erroneous spaces appear in the description field to a point where it is unusable. It seems like a problem with WebCalendar not Kerio. Put a message about it on the WebCalendar forum some time ago and have yet to receive an answer.

Ooh Thanks for the script!
  •  
lgtech

thebane90,

Although I didn't end up using it. I just wanted to thank you for that script. Smile I did take from it the curl line. Using curl hadn't occurred to me. From there I wrote a php script that goes through the .ics file and imports the data into a mysql database.
Previous Topic: Shared folders dont appear in Outlook 2007
Next Topic: Resources & Mailing Lists
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 01:37:41 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00524 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.