Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » vpn client event viewer spam
  •  
twinstead

Send a private message to this user
When I install the VPN client on my vista computer, event log entries are created every few seconds that say:

Your computer was successfully assigned an address from the network, and it can now connect to other computers.

Over and over and over again 24/7. They don't stop when I disconnect the VPN client from my office, they only stop when I disable the kerio adapter.

Can anybody help me with this one?
  •  
winkelman

Well, that's a 'feature' of the Kerio VPN client implementation. For some reason Kerio feels that their VPN client needs to renew it's IP address every few seconds. I suppose it's the way they've implemented some security measure. Maybe a way for them to kick off VPN connections from the server when needed.

Anyway, it causes problems. Like the one you describe. But more specifically: it makes it impossible to type in an address in Windows Explorer's address bar, because it refreshes also every few seconds.

The best solution would be for Kerio to rewrite their VPN Client not to need to refresh every few seconds. Barring that, you can assign a user a fixed VPN IP address (in the users personal configuration in Kerio Admin console, IP addresses tab, 'VPN client address') and have the user manually set the VPN Adapters IP address (and of course sibnet mask and gateway). Downside of this is you have to make sure if you assign a user a VPN address it is actually used on her/her connection. Otherwise you'll get into trouble.
  •  
twinstead

Is there any official word by Kerio on this?
  •  
winkelman

The official Kerio response is that you, should this bother you, assign a fixed IP address as I described earlier.
  •  
twinstead

I assigned a static IP and that was the ticket. Thanks for your help.

It just seems that hammering the event log and requesting an ip address renewal every 2 or 3 seconds 24/7 would at least in a small way be a performance hit. I'd also like to actually see other events in the log except kerio.

Oh well.

[Updated on: Sat, 31 May 2008 00:43]

•  
winkelman

You're absolutely right that it seems very odd indeed for Kerio to need to refresh DHCP every few seconds. I don't think it will actually hurt performance (in practice), but it does cause all kinds of issues (such as the log filling up, the windows explorer address bar refreshing to quickly to be able to type in addresses, etc.).

I made some noise about this a year or more back. Final thing said was Kerio needed to refresh DHCP for security and we should set fixed IP's if it bothered us.

Kerio may feel there's nothing to be fixed, but I'm sure we admins feel very differently about that. So I still hope Kerio finds a way to circumvent this silly DHCP refreshing, but I fear it may not have any priority.
Previous Topic: How to block, audio/video streaming on kerio
Next Topic: DNS help
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Oct 23 09:46:43 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00463 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.