Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Quickest way to transfer mail to a new (non kerio) server (What to do when a hosted domain is no longer our responsibility)
  •  
teddytis

Send a private message to this user
A couple of companies that we host mail for have been acquired by other companies that have their mail servers and such. So far the mail (and user accounts that take away from our available licenses) have been sitting on our mail server. One they occasionally check and the other I haven't seen a login for a few months. I know for at least the one company, they do want all the email for those users "at some time in the future." Well I want to free up the user accounts, mail store space, etc. Right now I do not know what mail servers these sites are using but I'm going to assume it's not kerio.

What would be the quickest and most universal way to gather up all this email that we can just throw on a dvd-r and send them? And by quick I mean man-hours, not machine-hours. So I guess is there a conversion script that will take a user's mail (the calendar and contacts and such are not a concern) and convert to some 'universal' format, such as maybe .mbox files or something? I was thinking of just enabling ETRN for those domains and have their mail admin just pull the mail into their server, but I'm relying on the not knowing anything about ETRN or any IMAP-to-IMAP transfer tools and just want the files.

Kerio's mail format looks like a modified version of Maildir, or at least one I'm not used to seeing. Could it also just be as simple as taking all the messages, renaming the extension to .eml and be done with it? thanks for any input.
  •  
winkelman

Three methods come to mind: allow the remote mail admin IMAP access so he can simply imap the emails to his mail system (or users mail box). Or imap the emails yourselves into an Outlook pst file and send that over. Using Outlook/KOC you could even create a pst with also all appointments, tasks and contacts. All require some manual effort per user, that may be a problem if it concerns dozens of users...

But if all they are interested in is the emails for legal/archiving purposes, you could just copy the relevant part of the store to DVD and send that over. All emails are individual eml files. Readable by any text reader (notepad?).
  •  
My IT Indy

imapcopy or imapsync will transfer email between two imap servers easily if you know the account information on both servers.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
Previous Topic: MS Home and Student Edition + Kerio Mailserver (Macintosh)
Next Topic: Mail to everybody
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 05:00:03 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00384 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.