Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » kerio backup
  •  
sirjosi

Send a private message to this user
I currently have backup running, which basically puts a copy of each email in a backup folder by date. How do I make use of this if my system crashes and I am able to save this backup folder?

pay it forward
-sirjosi
  •  
jshaw541

I think the KMS Backup function is more for archiving of messages.

If you want to just make backups for later restoration of user mailboxes, you should use NTBACKUP (on Windows) or tar (in UNIX) and back up the entire KMS program folder.

Hence, if you have Kerio installed in C:\Program Files\Kerio\MailServer\, you'd backup that directory.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
Jeff Wadlow (Kerio)

Version 6.0 of KMS will have an option to make a backup copy of the Store directory.
  •  
sirjosi

that would be cool. backing up the entire folder isnt really good for live backups :( like if you did it every night, then you still lose one day of emails...and I dont think you do ntbackup or tar when the mailboxes are open?

nice to know its in the works tho.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 March 2004 00:46]

pay it forward
-sirjosi
  •  
jshaw541

that would be cool. backing up the entire folder isnt really good for live backups :( like if you did it every night, then you still lose one day of emails...and I dont think you do ntbackup or tar when the mailboxes are open?

I guess I should clarify some things here. NTBACKUP.EXE for Windows 2003 supports the backing up of open files, using the Volume Shadow Services built into Windows 2003. You can even run these during the day as they don't usually eat up a lot of CPU.

With Windows 2000 and prior, and other OSes, you'll likely need to stop the KMS server process, backup, and restart it.

I should have been more thorough in my explanation.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
Tr!une

Any word on the timing of KMS 6.0?
  •  
sirjosi

ntbackup on 2003 working on open files.

Definitely good info! thanks! Does this mean you run kerio on 2003 as well? Do you know of any additional setting that needs to be done vs kerio on w2k?

pay it forward
-sirjosi
Previous Topic: mail queue blank from
Next Topic: MailServer.cfg variables
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 01:33:15 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00488 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.