Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Bypass DNS Lookups (Need to bypass regular DNS lookup for internal domain)
  •  
kingswaygroup

Send a private message to this user
I have 2 domains connected to 2 distinct external IP addresses that come through our firewall into 2 servers. One is running Kerio the other Bynari. Being that both domains have valid MX records pointing to the external IP of the firewalls I need to change the behaviour of Kerio not to use the DNS lookups for the other domain as though it was external but rather to point it to the private lan IP address of the server for the other domain. I have done this successfully the other way round as the other server runs postfix and using the transport file I can set up where to direct traffic for domains.

Any idea how to do this with Kerio 6 running on Linux (CentOS 5.1)?

Thank you.

David Green
  •  
ahoutzer

If it is okay to bypass DNS for this one IP address for the whole computer, and not just for the KMS program, then you could edit the Hosts file. I don't know CentOS, but my guess is that you have a directory called /etc , which contains a file called Hosts. You can add one line to the Hosts file that translates the desired domain name to its internal LAN IP address. The OS should resolve the IP through this Hosts file before attempting to use DNS.
  •  
sedell

I ran into similar issues here. Connections to servers within the network wouldn't work when using the public DNS records. I believe that's a pretty common scenario when using NAT.

I got around it by adding the domain to my local DNS servers. I duplicated the public DNS records, but replaced the public IPs with local ones for resources that were within the network. All of the clients and servers needed to use the internal addresses, so DNS was the way to go.

Scott
  •  
kingswaygroup

I think the concept of introducing a DNS server may have to be our choice. We have not done so to date however if the client machines would have to be individually modified, a change in /etc/hosts may not be sufficient.

Thank you.

David Green
  •  
Nixs

I think I understand what you are asking. Here is an option;

Go into Kerio admin, go into domains, select add. Put in the domain of the non Kerio server. Go to forwarding, select if Recipient was not found in this domain, forward the message to another host. Now put your private IP address of the non Kerio server in here. This is a forced routing.

We use this for this method. I can't possible be aware of your entire Kerio setup, so this might conflict with other settings you have. It works for us to do the same thing.
  •  
kingswaygroup

Following the directions from Brian <_a.t_> Kerio this is exactly what I did and it worked just as I needed it to.
Appreciate the response just the same.

David

David Green
Previous Topic: Migrate from Exchange Server 2003 to KMS 6.5 on OS X Leopard
Next Topic: Publish a CalDAV Calendar
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 03:11:30 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00404 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.