Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Can I use the second shortname from OD in Kerio?
  •  
majo72

Send a private message to this user
I'm currently setting up Kerio Mailserver against Open Directory and 10.5.3 at a larger company with many users.
Everything works fine with authentication and all, BUT:
In Open Directory you cannot use firstname.lastname as first shortname, but firstnamelastname
This means that all LDAP activated accounts in Kerio will have the latter as default login/email address. But I don't even want this address, and this means that I also have to manually add the desired firstname.lastname<_a.t_>company.se address on ALL accounts!

Is there any way to make Kerio use the second shortname created in OD?

Thanks!

Mattias
  •  
stevvot

Wow, we just migrated to Kerio over the weekend with 105 users and I have the exact same problem. I can only sync my accounts with Open Directory partially because my short names are firstnamelastname instead of our email addresses of firstname.lastname. I manually added an additional shortname of firstname.lastname to each OD account so that I can at least do Directory Sync using Apple Password Server, but the accounts still have to be created and maintained separately in Kerio and OD. I wasn't aware that Open Directory would not accept firstname.lastname as the initial shortname. Are you sure that is the case, because I was considering migrating all of our Open Directory accounts over to that nomenclature in order to get around this? Of course, doing that migration is intensive as EVERY OD account has to be changed/migrated.

The other option is just to re-add all the firstnamelastname accounts from OD into Kerio using the preferred Kerberos method, add a 2nd email address of first.last to each, and move all of the actual email storage data over to the new names. Of course, this method is intensive for that reason in addition to having to re-set up all of the email clients that have just been configured for Kerio using the firstname.lastname login.

Quite a predicament! If Kerio could somehow allow a choice of which OD shortname to sync to, that would solve the problem. I wonder if there are some config files in the Mailserver that can be tweaked to allow this?
  •  
majo72

Well, let's hope that Kerio has some suggestions to come up with. This is really annoying, no matter what company's fault it is.
Maybe it would be possible to change the schema? Kerio, any ideas or solutions?

Thanks,

Mattias
  •  
majo72

I've now created a ticket for this, so we'll see what Kerio will answer.
  •  
Avelsis

I have the same problems as you guys
Do you got an answer yet?
I would find it quit interessting what kerio answered.

I did it manually now but i think there should be a better solution.

kind regards
  •  
stevvot

There is still no solution that I know of. I am having to manually create the Kerio accounts and use Apple Password Server to sync passwords between OD and Kerio. Ideally, we could just select which shortname from OD to use as the Kerio account name.
  •  
anthony.somerset

i have/have had this issue

it is an apple issue with regards to a period in the primary shortname, there is a technical anwser to why but i cant remember it

as i am the one that sets up all new email accounts on machines anyway (so that i can make sure the machine meets our policies physically and software wise) i have lived with this issue somewhat by making sure that i log into webmail when i activate the account and setting the default address as the one with the period, this covers iPhone users at least until the 3.0 update when they got there act together and fixed it Smile

and then i just setup the reply to fields in there email clients, 9 times out of 10 nobody knows that they have an email address that is the same as there normal one without the dot.

it has caused all sorts of issues with calendars and caldav on mac with attendees, but i am glad to say that the kerio ical utility solved these by doing all the required setup things it needed to do. although one thing i would reccomend is that if you dont need the contact search of your OD server, to remove it from the contact search field in directory utility leaving only the kerio utility(it should be the same info anyway)

stevvot wrote on Mon, 31 August 2009 18:08
There is still no solution that I know of. I am having to manually create the Kerio accounts and use Apple Password Server to sync passwords between OD and Kerio. Ideally, we could just select which shortname from OD to use as the Kerio account name.

i never got my kerio to work with syncing to password server, only kerberos, i would be interested to hear of your general setup/settings

[Updated on: Mon, 31 August 2009 23:19]

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
  •  
jelockwood

Using a shortname with a period caused problems with Mac OS X 10.3 Server (Panther) as described in this Apple Knowledge base article http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20836?viewlocale=en_US as you can see it does not mention Tiger or Leopard.

Workgroup Manager for Tiger and Leopard servers normally prevent you using a first shortname with a period as well. However a firstname with a period is now officially allowed with Snow Leopard and is documented as such in the manual and Workgroup Manager for Snow Leopard Server lets you do this.

While officially a fullstop in a first shortname is not allowed by Tiger and Leopard Workgroup Managers, I have found a workaround that lets me type it, and it seems to work fine. To do this use the following steps.

1. Create a new account
2. Enter fullname e.g. John Smith
3. Workgroup Manager will generate an automatic shortname based on the fullname e.g. johnsmith
4. Add a second shortname this time with the desired fullstop e.g. john.smith
5. Click back in to the first shortname and delete all the characters
6. Click out of the first shortname, Workgroup Manager will then delete it completely and leave just what was the second shortname as the now only shortname and it will still have a fullstop in it
7. Save this new account

Obviously it would be better (as in an officially supported configuration) to use Snow Leopard Server for this. I intend to upgrade my server.
  •  
rkovelman

What? When you create an account you will see the shortname appear as you type the name like John Doe, but as johndoe. Just click on it after typing in the name there is nothing more you need to do. Maybe its a double click but its fairly simple. I believe the Kerio documentation states this. Rolling Eyes
  •  
stevvot

rkovelman wrote on Wed, 16 September 2009 08:18
What? When you create an account you will see the shortname appear as you type the name like John Doe, but as johndoe. Just click on it after typing in the name there is nothing more you need to do. Maybe its a double click but its fairly simple. I believe the Kerio documentation states this. Rolling Eyes

Try doing that and putting a '.' (period) in the shortname...doesn't work, hence the purpose of this original post. Good to hear that Snow Leopard Server allows periods in the first shortname, as this may solve the problem.
  •  
rkovelman

stevvot wrote on Wed, 16 September 2009 14:00

Try doing that and putting a '.' (period) in the shortname...doesn't work, hence the purpose of this original post. Good to hear that Snow Leopard Server allows periods in the first shortname, as this may solve the problem.

so you would want j.doe as a short name?
  •  
stevvot

rkovelman wrote on Wed, 16 September 2009 14:24

I wouldn't really WANT j.doe as the short name, but since Kerio can only sync to the first OD short name, if I want j.doe<_a.t_>mycompany.com as the email address, I have to either maintain separate OD and Kerio accounts, or figure out a way to get the first shortname to be j.doe. Ideally, you could pick which shortname Kerio syncs to and we could keep the j.doe shortname as the 2nd shortname after johndoe or whatever.
  •  
rkovelman

stevvot wrote on Wed, 16 September 2009 15:51

I wouldn't really WANT j.doe as the short name, but since Kerio can only sync to the first OD short name, if I want j.doe<_a.t_>mycompany.com as the email address, I have to either maintain separate OD and Kerio accounts, or figure out a way to get the first shortname to be j.doe. Ideally, you could pick which shortname Kerio syncs to and we could keep the j.doe shortname as the 2nd shortname after johndoe or whatever.

I am still confused why and where the . comes into play?
  •  
stevvot

rkovelman wrote on Wed, 16 September 2009 14:55
stevvot wrote on Wed, 16 September 2009 15:51

I am still confused why and where the . comes into play?

All email addresses in our company are firstname.lastname<_a.t_>mycompany.com, so, by default, each Kerio account is firstname.lastname. We would like to use the OD integration that Kerio provides, which basically just uses Workgroup Manager in OSX to manage your Kerio accounts. Kerio only syncs or uses the first shortname from OSX Workgroup Manager, but since that shortname can't have a period in it, we can't utilize the integration.
rkovelman

Yes sorry about that, no you can not. I believe that is because the '.' can be confused with other things in the programing on the mac. have you thought about doing _ or - and then in Kerio adding another address to that user that has the '.'?
Previous Topic: Open relay allowed even though it is disabled
Next Topic: Organizational / Public Forms
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Sep 24 05:22:18 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00628 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.