Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio 6.5.1 - Apple Address Book - Leopard
  •  
fleecy

Send a private message to this user
Is it just me, or this combination is sort of a big mess right now?

I managed to import a client's local address book (1000 entries) from Apple Address Book to Kerio, using the Kerio iSync Connector (latest version).

This client uses the Groups functionality quite a bit in Address Book, so many groups are defined and won't sync if I use the Exchange sync method.

4 different computers need to use this same address book, so they all have the Kerio Sync Connector installed.

It worked for about a week, and now, I hear from the client that most groups are now empty in Address Book; some computers don't even show the group names themselves. iSync complains about large numbers of changes that need to be made to data during sync.

Does anyone have a reliable method to use Address book with Kerio?
  •  
My IT Indy

I submitted a bug to Apple in regards to Address Book and groups being empty. It's not a Kerio-specific bug, it's related to Sync Services as others I've run into with this bug don't use Kerio.

I flippin' hate Address book. Mad

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
henrihoffmann

Hi,
same problem. Any solutions up to now?
  •  
henrihoffmann

Hi,

same problem, even with 10.5.5 and Kerios current beta RC2.

Henri
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

"Group name" attribute is not synchronized with the server by KSC (there is no such feature in webmail and other clients as well). Therefore contacts synchronized back to the client from the server belong to default group.

Group synchronization is one of features we are planning to add in the future.
  •  
henrihoffmann

Hi,
okay, but all user defined groups are empty, e.g. no more member after a few hours.
I have define the groups day by day new. Maybe I have to mention, that I use the iPhone 2.1 exchange support of Kerio.

Thanks in advance

Henri

•  
warwickrs

I'm still in the testing phase of Kerio, but thought I'd wade in with my findings on iSync and Address Book groups.

When a user edits a contact directly in Address Book that is located in a local group, the sync completes correctly and updates any changes to the server.

When a user updates on the server (or another user edits a shared contact which then updates the server) on the next sync, that contact is removed from the local Address Book group (but you'll find it in the 'All Contacts' section still).

Might explain why they are "disappearing" slowly ... only happens after someone modifies a record.

Wish there was an answer as this seems to be a bit of a show-stopper for me ... especially bad after having already walked the boss through the virtues of Kerio and had him "sold" on the idea (we deal with a lot of clients and grouping is essential)

BTW I'm testing using Kerio 6.6.0 patch 1, using the VMware appliance with Centos 5.2.

Warwick.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 November 2008 04:07]

•  
My IT Indy

I missed your post earlier. What about pulling the categories attribute and using that for groups within Address book? Here's the output from running cat against an address book card on the server:

[CATEGORIES:Business
CLASS:PUBLIC
END:VCARD

What if KSC could pull the category (or push it) to the server? That could define the groups.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
warwickrs

Interesting idea! At least what I think you suggested Wink

I have put in a Category (and can see the entry in the vcard in the store on disk), but it doesn't appear that Address Book passed this info, so that didn't work for me.

However, using your suggestion I put in some text in the notes field instead ("GRP:GroupName1") and defined a Smart Folder in Address Book to look for cards contain this text. The notes/description field *does* get passed through so this method does actually work Very Happy

So I have a workaround, but seems very "kludgy", as anyone who creates a new contact needs to remember to add specific text in the notes (and typos *do* happen) to get it to stay in peoples groups correctly.

It would be nice to have the Address Book group name passed up (and back) automatically to the server - but since a single contact vcard can exist in multiple groups, it couldn't really be aligned with the name of the folder on Kerio (unless you use a "primary" group or something).

Maybe the Kerio Connector could automatically add the Address Book group(s) into the notes field (possibly poor form to "polute" that field, but could be useful to see on other devices that only have a single listing anyway)

Warwick.
  •  
alda

Just discovered the post

I am having difficulties for one year now. My work around is to put the group values in the nickname field because than you can search on the Kerio web interface as well.

Then I build inteligent groups in the adressbook.

If I want to sync my iphone I have to pull all members of the intelligent into a local group since Iphone only sncs with a real group.

Big mess!

Since 6.2.2 I can only use the repair mode because regular syncing currupts contacts.
Kerio thinks its because some of my contacts are not unique.

Does anybody have some similar expierience
  •  
benjah

Anyone have any success with the group functionality between Address Book (10.5.6), and Kerio (latest, non-beta release)? Confused

Perhaps something happening with Snow Leopard (have the Dev. release(s), but haven't been able to install / test yet)? The groups are all in Address Book, but empty -

Using ActiveSync for contacts - I guess I could shut over the air sync off, and manually manage the syncing of contacts, but, that's a bit of a drag...

Shocked

[Updated on: Fri, 26 December 2008 04:16]

•  
alda

sorry there is no improvement there
we also expierience the mixing of data if the synced contacts are not unique
for example comntacts with empty name ore company fields geting mixed up
This is supositly an apple problem says kerio
Leopard snow is going to fix this

Does anybode have similar problems or does just nobody use it since it is such a pain?
  •  
warwickrs

I've gone "live" with our Kerio setup now (with Kerio 6.6.2) and have decided to use Address Book's "Sync with Exchange" functionality rather than the KSC as it doesn't lose the group information in AB .

I haven't done a huge amount of testing with this, but the issues I've found are:
- disables iPhone sync for contacts via iTunes (and thus contacts can only sync over-the-air with *all* personal contacts and not just a subset). This is the biggest problem, but my users have decided that this is a better option than losing group info in AB
- it does not sync the notes field for a contact
- sync time of an hour is longer than KSC (but manageable)

In my testing the loss of group info does in fact appear to be a Address Book issue. I tried exporting a contact who was in a group to a VCARD on the desktop. I checked with textedit that the the file contain a "category" which defined the group so the export was fine. I then deleted the original contact and re-imported the VCARD ... no group information was retained and it was only found in the "All contacts" section of AB.
  •  
alda

Why don't you use inteligent Groups
If you sync the iphone, all you have to do is manualy drag the complete content of the inteligent adressbook into the group
benjah

hmm...Intelligent Groups. Do tell?
I'm not familiar with this, but definitely interested, as the lack of either groups or photos is a bummer - would rather not have to decide on one over another...

thanks in advance...

Previous Topic: Apple Mail does not sent, Entourage does (from external connection)
Next Topic: Outgoing filters
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 02:59:35 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00528 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.