Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KOFF and Outlook 2007 crash solved?!
  •  
Anonymous

Heyho everybody.

Since we started to migrate to Kerio, more and more users had problems with outlook 2007 and KOFF 6.5.1.

Situation: User creates new outlook Profile with KOFF.
Outlook starts and Kerio starts sync.

The next time the user starts Outlook, it crashes directly and displays a textbox with a checkbox, asking to restart Outlook and creating/sending a report to microsoft. When checking the restartbox, or just starting outlook again, another textbox says that the Kerio plugin created an error. The textbox is asking whether to deactivate the plugin or not.

- Deactivation brings back outlook but without any sync-options, public folders ... .
So, just naked outlook to send and receive mails via Kerio. That is not what we want.

- Select not to deactivate plugin starts the crashing circle again and ends in the dialog whether to deactivate or not Sad

Activating the Outlook debugging function shows that before the debugging begins outlook crashes Smile
The KOFF debug files do not show any hints too.

The solution to get a crash free Outlook is very simple and funny:

Do not start outlook and do not deactivate the plugin.
Find a mail link anywhere, maybe on a website. Click on it. Now, outlook should start and whether ask you to select a profile or it will direct open a mailwindow. Now you started outlook without a crash!
To get the Outlook window itself, do not close the message window. Instead start outlook from start menu or desktop or where you have the icon. Now the outlook window appears. It is time to close the message window now. Maybe the next time you open outlook again normally it will crash again so try the trick to open outlook two times.

After several times you can start Outlook normal!

Have fun and do not try to think why.

Cheers,

multiwack.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 June 2008 16:48] by Moderator

•  
RHarmsen.nl

Send a private message to this user
Did you sent the error/crash reports to microsoft?

I can imagine if it happens a lot (on multiple machines) Microsoft will also look into it, and perhaps contact kerio in order to help solve the problem.
  •  
Anonymous

we now createt a batch skript to open an e-mail window and afterwards the Outlook2007 window. That makes it more easy for our clients to use KOFF6.5.1 and Outlook2007.

Just create a file on the Desktop "open outlook.cmd"
and put the following lines in it:

REM opens new e-mailwindow, the main window will not be opened by the following line!
start outlook /c ipm.note

REM just a small break
for /L %%N IN (1, 1, 50) DO (
  for /L %%N IN (1, 1, %%N) DO echo just a moment
)

REM opens the main outlook window with the following line!
start outlook

Now the clients can use this file to use it instead of the regular outlook start file.

With this batch script it is no more necessary to open an e-mail link and the outlook program afterwards.

Greetings,

multiwack
  •  
cthomas

I had the same symptoms you have described, Outlook crashes when opened with KOFF installed. In my case it was due to Office Update KB946983 being installed.

This is detailed here
http://support.kerio.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=v iewarticle&kbarticleid=478

Once I removed that update KOFF and Outlook 2007 work fine.

- C. Thomas
  •  
talkinggoat

Don't install service pack 1 for office 2007, either. It produces the same result.
  •  
bull2760

OK, I'm running Outlook 07 and I have yet to experience a crashing problem. How many users do you have running O7? We have 20 users in the office 15 running 03 and 5 running 07. The 5 users running 07 have not complained at all about outlook crashing. Is this something I need to worry about? Running Kerio 6.5.1 on Windows Server 2003 64bit and 8GB of memory. All users are running KOC offline edition.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 June 2008 06:36]

•  
scottwilkins

We see very similar problems, but not just on Outlook 2007, but also Outlook 2003. Fortuantely for us it's not common, and the usual fix so far has been to re-create the profile for the user. Otherwize, with all updates to Office installed it works well.

Thanks though to all for the info, I will be checking our machines for the KB946983 installation.

We've been making sure to send any crash reports that occur to Kerio through their automated tool. Since KOFF is still quite new, I'm sure they've still got a number of bugs to fix and tweaks to do on it.

There is no such thing as bug free software, right? Smile
  •  
Anonymous

Yes, we tried to deinstall Office Update KB946983 on some clients and it helps for a while!

But because we activated the Windows update service on every client the patch is reinstalled again and again! We do not have a centralized Update solution in our network.

The patch reinstalls again by the next reboot!
And then Outlook crashes again.

To prevent the reinstallation of the patch it is necessary to configure the auto update service for each client manually via the http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ Evil or Very Mad .

The todolist for this is the following:

1. Login to the client, with KB946983 patch installed, as an user with administrative permissions
2. Deinstall KB946983
3. Open http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
4. Select Custom and not Express
5. Find the KB946983 and uncheck it, now a new check box is displayed
6. Uncheck the new displayed box, so, don’t show the update again Microsoft !

Now this Windows System will not install the Patch again!
And hopefully Outlook will not crash again!

Cheers
multiwack
  •  
Anonymous

We use a mix of office2003 and office2007 with KOFF6.5.1, too.
Some users with 2007 have a crashing problem others do not!
None of our office2003 users has a crashing problem.

So the solution in our environment is to deinstall the patch KB946983 and prevent its reinstallation.
The KOFF6.5.1 will not install itself when office2007 is not updated with SP1.
So our office is secured with sp1 and KB946983 is for office2007 systems without SP1.

Greetings,

multiwack
  •  
sedell

multiwack wrote on Thu, 26 June 2008 04:34

But because we activated the Windows update service on every client the patch is reinstalled again and again! We do not have a centralized Update solution in our network.

The patch reinstalls again by the next reboot!
You might want to look into WSUS from Microsoft. It's free, and not terribly difficult to set up. I don't know how I did patches without it.

Scott
  •  
scottwilkins

sedell wrote on Thu, 26 June 2008 11:43

You might want to look into WSUS from Microsoft. It's free, and not terribly difficult to set up. I don't know how I did patches without it.

Scott, do you have any good reading on WSUS? This is one of those projects I've been putting off and putting off... And, it's like there's too much information, but hardly anything worth reading to just help get it done. Most sites love to talk about what it is, but not what to do with it.

I put this in the same category as Kerio. Microsoft stuff is just getting too complicated. Kerio was almost a "just install it anywhere and it works" product, in comparison to Exchange which requires a lot of time and effort and resources to setup for most companies. WSUS may not be like this, but it sure seems so for someone who hasn't touched it yet. I'm probably not making sense on this, but if you've got good resources for WSUS I'd be very thankfull.
  •  
sedell

I'm not sure I do have any reading on it, other than the install manual. I've been using it for a few years now. You configure automatic updates to point at your own WSUS server, and you're done as far as the client is concerned. From that point on, they get updates and report status to your server.

Your server then syncs with Microsoft Update servers to download update information and patches. You decide what you want to approve and install, or decline, and you can do it globally or per group. The clients then grab that info when they connect, and if any patches are approved and available, download and prepare them to install on your schedule.

If I remember right, there were only two big issues for install. One is that it needs to install into the default web site on IIS, so it can be a bit tricky if you have multiple sites in IIS with different host values. The second was that you don't want to install it on the same server with SharePoint. The changes SharePoint makes to IIS security breaks WSUS.

Scott
  •  
bull2760

If memory serves me right it really is not difficult to setup.You need to point your computers at it so they get the updates. To do that you use group policy editor and change the location of the update server to your new internal server. Do a manual refresh of the grpp service to update the domain with the new policy and your done. The actual WSUS server will download all the updates from microsoft, you choose which updates from the ones downloaded you wanted distributed. It will take a while to download all the updates because there is a crap load of them. I'll see if I can find my install notes and get them to you.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 June 2008 16:18]

•  
olivercmc

Hello,

we have the same problem with our automated Windows Update server. It re-installs KB946983 every other day after you manually de-installed it.

From my long e-mail communication with Kerio staff (Gregg, Ala, Daniel, Vicky, ...) it looks like these guys do not even know that something like this update server exists. And they don't really care!! After exchanging useless mails with the advice "de-install in manually" they do not even answer to mails anymore. Does anybody else have experienced that poor service quality?

I now went into the setup for the Update Server and set the status to "ablehnen" (decline). Lets see if that prevents the system from the automated upgrade and leave a solid KOFF/Outlook combination behind.

Oliver
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I understand your dissatisfaction but Kerio does not provide technical support for all products in the world. Technical support for Update Server and all Microsoft updates is provided by Microsoft. This is the place where you should ask for help. Microsoft confirmed that this update is buggy and offers an hotfix. They also state the update should not be installed if Outlook 2007 was updated SP1. If it does then it is a problem of Update Server which is not being developed by Kerio.
Previous Topic: Blocking URl links ending in .exe
Next Topic: export contacts
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 22:55:28 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00563 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.