Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Server setup tip
  •  
bull2760

Send a private message to this user
OK we've been using Kerio for 2 years at the office and I just completed moving Kerio from one server to another. Old config was a W3k server, dual AMD 2.4Ghz MP processors, 2GB of memory a single SATAII drive hooked up to an Adaptrec controller. New server is W3K 64bit, 2x Xeon E5410 2.33Ghz processors, 8GB of memory, RAID 5EE using 8 73GB Seagate 15K.5 Barracuda SAS hard drives. What a difference! Absolutely no hesitation on the server. On the old server when I use to access my email through the web interface it would take a 15 seconds to load (sometimes longer depending on load on server). Now it just opens up immediately no delay. Like wise for outlook connector email now opens up immediately! Couldn't be happier with the new server love it!
  •  
shaggie16

W3K!?

Most of the speed increase will be down to the much better hard disk subsystem you are now using. Single disk is way too slow for Kerio (things have improved with the offline cache). I normally recommend RAID 10. I took a few customers from single disk to RAID 10, and apart from the obvious speed increase within webmail / outlook, you only have to look at the disk operations queue to see what is going on.
Glad things are hugely improved for you.
  •  
bull2760

Windows Server 2003 64bit Standard

I knew when I built the server the disk subsystem would be the best performance increase. I did a lot of testing before deciding on RAID 5EE over RAID 10. The benchmarking software I used HDtach & HDtune showed more erratic disk patterns consistently when using RAID 10 and more consistent disk patterns when using RAID5EE so I stuck with RAID 5EE. I also used h2bench to test throughput and while RAID 10 achieved slightly higher throughput again I decided on RAID5EE because of the disk pattern. In case anyone here has never heard of RAID 5EE please check out the following link.

Understanding RAID Technology

[Updated on: Sun, 22 June 2008 18:12]

•  
winkelman

Indeed. For KMS, buy the fastest disk subsystem you can afford, the rest don't matter (much) Cool

(I think you'd better take 7 of the 8 Gb's of RAM out and put it in another system, I doubt it'll ever get used (if only KMS is on that server Very Happy )).
Previous Topic: Spam Filter Custom Rules messages
Next Topic: Outlook 2003 with Koff 6.5.1 in remote connection hang with large (>3MB) attachment
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 15:04:21 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00366 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.