Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » SMTP Best Practices?
  •  
NigelH

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

I keep hearing in other forums that you should NOT set your mail server to send "direct to MX" as some filters could class your server as Spam. You should always use a Relay server or your ISP's smtp server.

I'm a little confused as this doesn't seem correct. As long as you have your DNS,domain and IP correctly configured I don't see as how sending direct via MX records would be a bad thing.

Could some shed some light on SMTP best practices. Should we use Direct to MX or use and external Relay?

Thanks,

Nigel

[Updated on: Thu, 26 June 2008 14:17]

Kerio Mail Server 6.7.2 Build 7821
Mac OS X Server 10.5.8
  •  
Nixs

It really doesn't matter. Either is fine.

We sent direct to MX for 10 years before using MessageLabs as our inbound/outbound relay. We find we get onto almost 0 block lists now, by using ML.

The one caveat is if you are on block lists;
http://www.robtex.com/rbl/1.2.3.4.html

Replace the 1.2.3.4 with your mail servers public facing Internet IP address. If you have a dynamic net block or are on a block listed as spam, then you may wish to use a relay.

BTW -- your first sentence doesn't make sense. I think in one of those places you meant to use a negative context, but you basically said "You should send direct to MX...so...use a relay."
  •  
My IT Indy

I use MX to send for my hosted servers however I sometimes recommend an smtp relay if a customer is on a business DSL or cable connection. I've seen too many bounces from the larger ISP's and hotmail and smtp relaying is cheap.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
sedell

Now, on the flip side, I've found the opposite. We've had better luck running direct to MX. I try to keep tight control of the mail server, and we've never been blacklisted.

I have seen a number of relays some of our business contacts use get blacklisted - not because our business contact did something wrong, but because someone else using the relay did. The relay provider in several of these cases took a stand that even though X customer is doing something incorrect, they pay us to relay what they give us, even if it's wrong. If you use a relay, make sure you use a good one.

Scott
  •  
NigelH

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated.

I'm going to use the Direct Via MX option for now. I believe I have the Domain, DNS and IP setup correctly with PTR, MX, SPF. etc.

I did check my IP and it was listed on SORBS as a dynamic IP. I've contacted them and it's been removed.

If anything goes wrong I'll use a relay.

Thanks,

Nigel

Kerio Mail Server 6.7.2 Build 7821
Mac OS X Server 10.5.8
  •  
Nixs

Another nice resource is DNSReport. It was previously open and free, and I used it often. It shows very detailed info on your DNS and e-mail settings, including SPF A and PTR info.
http://member.dnsstuff.com/pages/dnsreport.php

Another simpler one is;

http://www.dnscolos.com/dnsreport.php
Previous Topic: KMS Max mailbox size
Next Topic: How to change the server's Hello/Welcome Message
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 00:27:14 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00475 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.