Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Roaming user profiles and KOFF local database (Does the size of the KOFF local database make it unworkable with roaming user profiles?)
  •  
rblakely

Send a private message to this user
We have 70 users in a Windows Server 2003 environment, all with roaming profiles. We have a mix of fat clients and terminals, with one Terminal Services server.
I've just installed KOFF on my own machine, and the local database is about .5GB, which is held in the fixed location of
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local settings\Application
Data\Kerio\Outlook Connector\<profile_name>

On the Terminal Services server, there might be 30 users using it from time to time. If their KOFF local database files are .5GB, that will use an extra 15GB of storage on the server.
Not installing KOFF on the TS server is not going to work, because sooner or later those users are going to log on to a fat client machine that has KOFF installed, and their Outlook profile will be upgraded to KOFF.

Worse than that, now every time I log off and on, that .5GB local database file is going to be copied over the network to/from the server that holds the redirected roaming profile. Surely that is going to make logging on unworkably slow.

One idea would be somehow to exclude the KOFF local database from the roaming profile, and set up a junction point which pointed to a central local on a server. But would that negate the performance advantages of KOFF?
Is the conclusion that KOFF is unsuitable for roaming user profile environments?:

Thanks
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

The Local settings directory in the user profile remains local on the workstation and is not copied to/from server on every logon. That's why it is named Local. So there is nothing you have to change to make it working the way you want.
  •  
rblakely

I have now implemented this, and it works very well. None of the problems I was worrying about have had any noticeable impact. And I'm finding KOFF is very very stable.
  •  
support@redhenremote.com

Deleting local profiles when users log out is the recommended configuration for Terminal Server. Users move from server to server and it is not practical to keep half-gigabyte profiles for every user on every server.

Because profiles delete when users log out and Local Settings do not roam with the rest of the profile, the Kerio database gets rebuilt everytime the user logins and opens Outlook. Considering the delay and server load caused by a fresh sync, KOFF is not suitable in this environment. This is unfortunate; searching mail and contacts using KOC is very slow and I was hoping KOFF would provide a solution.

Henry Redding
Previous Topic: Some Outlook Clients can't login post-upgrade
Next Topic: Best Practice: Moving from OS X Server to Kerio?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 04:27:40 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00400 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.