Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Message content not shown in webmail (Bug?)
  •  
init.at

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

most messages cannot be opened in our Kerio Mailserver's (v6.5.1) webmail. This depends on the message encoding: messages in UTF-8 are shown, for others a blank page is all we see. The problem shows up only when using webmail, in Thunderbird all messages show up properly.

This happens with the "full featured" version as well as with the "simplified" one.

It doesn't depend on the browser used: Opera, Firefox 2 (Linux/Windows), Firefox 3 (Linux), Internet Explorer 6/7
all show the same behaviour.
The problem seems to be on the server's side. When I use the simplified version and try to view the message source, this produces the message source as expected when supplying the message id of a UTF-8 email, but not with the message id of an email in ISO-8859-1 for example.

hope someone can help us
best regards
init.at
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

It is probably an issue of underlying operating system on the server. Is it Linux?
  •  
init.at

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Mon, 07 July 2008 16:28

It is probably an issue of underlying operating system on the server. Is it Linux?

Yes. openSUSE 10.3
  •  
jaikudo

I have seen a few messages fail to display their source using View -> Source but not fail to display their content in the normal way.
  •  
init.at

jaikudo wrote on Mon, 07 July 2008 18:13

I have seen a few messages fail to display their source using View -> Source but not fail to display their content in the normal way.

What I meant is not the browsers' "View Source" function but that of the webmail software.
When the email is encoded in UTF-8 it works, in ISO-8859-1 (for example) it doesn't.
HTH
  •  
init.at

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Mon, 07 July 2008 16:28

What could we do to try to isolate the problem? What issue of the OS could lead the server to fail in this way?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Missing or invalid version of iconv library. Try to run 'iconv --version' and 'iconv -l'.
  •  
init.at

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Wed, 09 July 2008 09:45

Missing or invalid version of iconv library. Try to run 'iconv --version' and 'iconv -l'.

Thanks for the pointer, everything seems OK in this regard.

We managed to trace the problem:
If we send mail without an encoding header**, for example directly via telnet, then Kerio stores it without the blank line that separates the DATA (body) section from the header. This of course makes it impossible to parse it properly, because the header can no longer be distinguished from the body.

I think this is a bug and should be fixed, can someone file a bug ticket please?

best regards,
init.at

** Thunderbird seems to do this by default
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

init.at wrote on Wed, 09 July 2008 10:10

I think this is a bug and should be fixed, can someone file a bug ticket please?

Is there any reason why you can't do it yourself? http://support.kerio.com
  •  
sgongola

I don't have this problem with kerio 6.5.1 on windows 2k3.
I tested with thunderbird, it generated a message with:
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
whether i sent as html or plain text.

I also tried telnet to port 25 on the kerio server a simple email and i had no problem seeing it in kerio webmail:
220 mail Kerio MailServer 6.5.1 ESMTP ready
helo
250 mail
mail from: me<_a.t_>here.com
250 2.1.0 Sender <me<_a.t_>here.com> ok
rcpt to: sol<_a.t_>adldata.com
250 2.1.5 Recipient <sol<_a.t_>myaddress.com> ok (local)
data
354 Enter mail, end with CRLF.CRLF
to: joe<_a.t_>there.com
date: today
subject: test data email

here is the mail
here is the mail
last line of mail
250 2.0.0 4874beb3-00007657 Message accepted for delivery
quit

I think a call to support is in order Sad

[Updated on: Wed, 09 July 2008 15:50]

•  
init.at

sgongola wrote on Wed, 09 July 2008 15:44

I also tried telnet to port 25 on the kerio server a simple email and i had no problem seeing it in kerio webmail:

Thanks for the info and for trying it out, I tried (nearly) the same:

Quote:

220 kerio.init.at Kerio MailServer 6.5.1 ESMTP ready
HELO
250 kerio.init.at
MAIL From: <><_a.t_>init.at
RCPT To: <><_a.t_>init.at
DATA
250 2.1.0 Sender <<><_a.t_>init.at> ok
250 2.1.5 Recipient <<><_a.t_>init.at> ok (local)
To: <><_a.t_>init.at
Date: today
Subject: test data email

here is the mail
here is the mail
last line of mail
QUIT
250 2.0.0 4874dfec-00019042 Message accepted for delivery
221 2.0.0 SMTP closing connection

Doesn't show the body of the email...
When I do this, it does:
Quote:

220 kerio.init.at Kerio MailServer 6.5.1 ESMTP ready
HELO
MAIL From: <><_a.t_>init.at
RCPT To: <><_a.t_>init.at
DATA
To: <><_a.t_>init.at
Date: today
Subject: test data email
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

here is the mail
here is the mail
last line of mail
QUIT
250 kerio.init.at
250 2.1.0 Sender <<><_a.t_>init.at> ok
250 2.1.5 Recipient <<><_a.t_>init.at> ok (local)
250 2.0.0 4874e0b1-0001904a Message accepted for delivery
221 2.0.0 SMTP closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

Interestingly, ISO-8859-1 doesn't work either.
  •  
sgongola

When you do "view source", is the blank line there?
Can you look at the source with a hex viewer to see if anything looks "fishy" in terms of cr/lf code?
If it looks correct, you really should contact kerio support.
  •  
init.at

I already contacted support, a bug ticket is filed under http://support.kerio.com/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=viewtic ket&ticketid=176029 - I don't know whether other people can see it. I also referred to this thread in case any insights are gained here.

sgongola wrote on Wed, 09 July 2008 20:40

When you do "view source", is the blank line there?
Can you look at the source with a hex viewer to see if anything looks "fishy" in terms of cr/lf code?
If it looks correct, you really should contact kerio support.

When I "view source" then NOTHING appears. With "Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8" the message source as I would expect it shows up.

Unfortunately our conclusion regarding the blank line is apparently wrong or not the whole story. I took another look at the messages at the file system level and the blank line was there in every message, contrary to what we saw when we last tested.

The newlines are all "\r\n".

•  
init.at

Another little hint:
Kerio_convert() in mailSource.php doesn't return anything when it's expected to convert from anything else than UTF-8 to UTF-8 on our installation. I could not find the definition of this function anywhere in the PHP source...

By the way, we DO get back a repsonse from the server, it's "<html><pre></pre></html>" that should have the message text between the pre-tags, but doesn't, because Kerio_convert returns nothing.
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I see you're running 64bit Linux. It will take a while to reproduce it in our lab. Anyway, no one else reported such problem so I guess it will be closely related to system configuration.
Previous Topic: Permission Web-Mail
Next Topic: Activesync change PORT
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 00:25:56 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00571 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.