Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Is opening port 9 safe? (Need opinion on my 'Wake-On-Lan' solution.)
  •  
kaptain1

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

I've been looking for a way to 'wake-up' computers from Stand-By mode - so that i can use UltraVNC after establishing VPN connection.

Since i don't know how to broadcast MagicPackets over VPN connection, i thought about using 'Wake-On-Lan' from the Internet. That requires port 9 to be open and forwarded to all LAN workstations. I want to use this tool: www.dslreports.com/wakeup

Question:
Is it safe to open and forward Port 9 to all LAN workstations? - so i can use WOL from the Internet?
  •  
winkelman

kaptain1 wrote on Mon, 07 July 2008 23:11

Is it safe to open and forward Port 9 to all LAN workstations? - so i can use WOL from the Internet?

If you don't mind anyone on the Internet can start all your computers whenever they like: it seems safe Twisted Evil .
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

kaptain1 wrote on Mon, 07 July 2008 23:11

Hi all,

I've been looking for a way to 'wake-up' computers from Stand-By mode - so that i can use UltraVNC after establishing VPN connection.

Since i don't know how to broadcast MagicPackets over VPN connection, i thought about using 'Wake-On-Lan' from the Internet. That requires port 9 to be open and forwarded to all LAN workstations. I want to use this tool: www.dslreports.com/wakeup

Question:

I guess you have a Winroute machine running, why not login to this machine with RDP, VNC or a webinterface, and sending the packets from there?
  •  
kaptain1

Here's my situation:

I want to somehow give Employees the ability to 'Wake-Up' their workstations so that then they can use VNC to connect to them.

As far as i know, MagicPackets won't go through the VPN connect because it's a 'broadcasting packet'? And Wake-On-Lan from the Internet doesn't seem to work right away with KWF, it did worked with my Netgear router at home...

Any suggestions on how should i do this? Confused
Previous Topic: svchost.exe memory consumption problem
Next Topic: kerio winroute beta 6.5
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Sep 22 04:41:33 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00422 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.