Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » svchost.exe memory consumption problem
  •  
kaptain1

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

I'm experiencing this problem where process SVCHOST.EXE (user - NETWORK SERVICE) increases its' memory useage daily! When i restart the server, it uses only about 30mb of RAM or so, but each day it gains about 100MB of RAM. So after 5 days of not restarting server, memory usage for this particular svchost.exe service grew up to 600mb!

I'm using Kerio demo version which is installed on a Win2003 server (2.4ghz dual core Xeon, 4gb ram, raid1 raptors) we also this same server for Shared Folders and auto backups. We have about 30 users.

Any ideas?

Thank You

[Updated on: Tue, 08 July 2008 08:23]

•  
ratiocura

There are usually multiple instances of svchost running for various services.

You will first want to find out what instance of svchost is actually running what.

In task manager, go into processes and go to view, select columns and check PID(Process identifier)

Make a note of the svchost PID that is using increased abouts of ram.

Then go into the command prompt and type "tasklist /svc" that will give you a list of services that are running and what dll's are running inside each svchost instance.
  •  
kaptain1

Thanks Ratio! Very valuable tip!

That svchost.exe was part of DHCP/DNS Cache Kerio service. I think earlier i increased cache to 2GB, so maybe that was the problem. I disabled cache and will report back with results.

Does that DNS Cache feature really helps?

[Updated on: Tue, 08 July 2008 10:08]

•  
ratiocura

DNS Forwarding caching sits in RAM, it caches DNS forwarding results to make repeated DNS lookups faster, the amount of forwarding lookups your DNS server requests and your internet connection speed depends on whether you really need it.

If you have high volumes of lookups or a slow connection it would be worth while to cache.
But you would want to set your cache limits according to how much spare RAM you can afford to give it because caches will generally use as much as they are given.
Previous Topic: please help!! VPN
Next Topic: Is opening port 9 safe?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 04:52:52 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00423 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.