Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Clean up user mail folders
  •  
czhower

Send a private message to this user
I have a few users that have huge junk mail folders and sometimes sent items.

I want to just purge them. I cannot find any proper way to do this.

I found I can just go in and delete the files while Kerio is stopped. For some reason I cannot delete #msgs folder, but deleting all files inside works and in the root of its folder too. #msgs does not show up in explorer a standard folder either, does it have some weird permissions?

Finally the admin console does not show the new size till I also delete stats.usr.

Aside from this or logging in as the user, is there a better way to clean up such folders?
  •  
BudDurland

How do your users access their mail? If they use web mail, you don't have many options. ThunderBird and OutLook both have facilities for archiving and/or deleting messages from folders. ThunderBird's mechanism is the friendliest, IMHO.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
czhower

They use different clients, but in this case I cant rely on any of them to clean up. I have to do it on the server. Im not killing their inboxes, just junk mail, sent mail etc. I need to do it without logging into webmail etc.
  •  
sedell

Outlook's archive function doesn't work with KOC/KOFF.

Scott
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

czhower wrote on Thu, 10 July 2008 20:03

They use different clients, but in this case I cant rely on any of them to clean up. I have to do it on the server. Im not killing their inboxes, just junk mail, sent mail etc. I need to do it without logging into webmail etc.

Can't be done without logging into a users mailbox.
By deleting files in the folders on the server you are damaging the users mailbox!

You might consider using size limits for the users, so they can't have mailboxes larger than say about 1GB.

•  
czhower

The reason I deleted the files is that there are several blogs about this - it works because Kerio recreates the files needed. Lots of blogs - sounds like a feature thats missing in Kerio...
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

Kerio tries to repair its folders when the indexes are destroyed.
But it is not recomended
  •  
czhower

Given lack of altenatives... Smile

Kerio should add some basic maint functions to the admin console. There are a lot of blogs about these types of "features"
  •  
Lyle M

You are describing a feature that has been discussed often over the years since Kerio reached 6.0 (and possibly before).
Normally, I would suggest that you post a feature request. However, a perusal of recent postings regarding automated folder purging revealed that this functionality is due out shortly.

http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=51827&S =445bdb7f48ee93f3b131d2a59d5c68f5&srch=auto+delete#msg_5 1827

I hope that this capability can be managed by the user and IMPOSED by the administrator.

Thanks to Pavel for letting the cat out of the bag a little early on this one.

Regards,
Lyle Millander
  •  
czhower

Thanks. Hopefully it will be fully featured...
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

I hope Kerio will deploy a public beta this month so we are able to see (and test) some new features that are requested.

On the other hand, it first needs to be stable, otherwise we are going to shout at Kerio for giving out a very unstable beta.

Let us just wait till it is ready... although I hope this is soon.
Previous Topic: certifcation KMS & KWF
Next Topic: iSync connector and Address Book
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Sep 23 00:26:29 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00527 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.