Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Notifications on impossibility of sending very big messages
  •  
maa1

Send a private message to this user
I'm use KMS+Outlook2003+KOC
"Limit maximum SMTP message size" set to 20MB
need, that users received notifications on impossibility of sending very big messages.
How it to make?
  •  
sedell

You can't with KOC. It's a long standing issue. They got it working in Outlook 2000, just before we moved to Outlook 2003 where the bug still exists, so my excitement at having it finally work was short-lived. I run into it all the time. I either get a call about mail stuck in an outbox, or I notice it in the mailserver logs and notify the user. KOFF handles this and notifies the user, but that doesn't help all of our KOC users though.

Scott
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

You both might consider moving to KOFF instead of KOC.

I takes a little more harddisk space on the user machines, but it gives them a much faster e-mail experience.
  •  
sedell

We are moving to KOFF, but very slowly. There are still a few issues I'm trying to get a handle on with KOFF before rolling it out to everyone. They're nothing crippling or major, but one of the first responses by support is usually "create a new profile", which requires a new initial sync, which can be an hours long process.

The other thing slowing down rolling it out is the time it takes for the initial sync. We have a good number of users with large mail stores that take hours to finish the initial sync. It's not recommended to have multiple initial syncs running at the same time because of the load it generates on the server. Combine that with the load on the server when everyone is logged in with KOC, and I'm not about to even try more than one KOFF full sync at a time. That severely limits the speed it can be rolled out.

Scott
  •  
teddytis

I thought notifications were technically not possible because of how the mail system works. The mail server doesn't know how big of a file you're going to send until you're done sending it. There's no provision in standard SMTP to go "hey, I'm sending 25mb attachment, that ok?" I use postfix for my personal mail server and don't believe there's an option for that. But I can see it possible to be added to KOC or KOFF. I've just told people our limit is 20 MB and that no, I can't change it because they want to send some funny video to 10 people in the office and like 5 other people outside the company Rolling Eyes Usually I'll just point them to mediafire.com or some other site they can upload the file to and then just email the link to people.

(rant)Personally I'd just limit uploads to 5mb and not allow any video formats (this is an office that has no business sending videos in email) but as soon as I do that people started complaining. Instead now I get to deal with people complaining their mail program is "acting funny" because they have 1000's of messages in their inbox and a bunch of those being big media files(/rant)

At any rate getting back on topic, I'd just try and be transparent with the users. If you have a local intranet create a page regarding proper mail usage, what limits are imposed, etc. Or just send an email to everyone explaining it and then create a "Welcome" email that you send to any new accounts you create.
  •  
sedell

teddytis wrote on Tue, 15 July 2008 02:56

The mail server doesn't know how big of a file you're going to send until you're done sending it. There's no provision in standard SMTP to go "hey, I'm sending 25mb attachment, that ok?"

There is a provision to handle that. It was an extension to SMTP. See http://rfc.net/rfc1870.html. There are a couple of different ways to handle it, but the easiest to s pot in the logs is to look for:
MAIL FROM:<bounces<_a.t_>mail.domain.com> SIZE=10896

Even without it, you can get a notification. The receiving SMTP server just accepts mail up until the max size limit. If the limit is reached, the server responds with an error and closes the connection.

Outlook on it's own as a POP3/IMAP client notifies you once it gets that response from the server. KOFF is a bit different since it uses WebDAV, but you get a NDR response notifying you the message was too large and didn't get sent. For some reason, it's been a problem with KOC on some versions of Outlook.

Scott
Previous Topic: public calender not shown in Outlook with KOFF
Next Topic: Blocking URl links ending in .exe
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 09:23:26 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00433 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.