Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS 6.5.2 experiences?
  •  
cthomas

Send a private message to this user
Interested in hearing from anyone who has installed KMS 6.5.2. Any problems with the install? Have you tried the iPhone features? Thanks.

- C. Thomas
  •  
sweetkid

I have been unable to access the contacts folder when creating a new mail? I can change the name of the contacts folder etc, but no contacts are displayed.
  •  
jshaw541

cthomas wrote on Tue, 15 July 2008 09:01

Interested in hearing from anyone who has installed KMS 6.5.2. Any problems with the install? Have you tried the iPhone features? Thanks.

- C. Thomas

So far, so good on both fronts.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
teddytis

Sorry for the length of the post. If you want the cliff's notes version, just read the last paragraph

I found out about the new version at like 2:30 AM and promptly dropped everything and installed it Smile

I haven't heard any issues from anyone as far as all the features from previously. like a sudden surge in spam or anything.

As far as the iphone, ActiveSync works but the directions they give didn't work for me. They specify just a username. Even though the mail server address is on a dedicated ip and thus normally through mail applications you don't need the full email I still had to enter my full email address as the username. I know the iphone's suggestion is "domain/username" you want to enter it as "username<_a.t_>domain.tld." Aside from that mail sync worked and push does indeed push (seems about a minute or so delay). No experience on how much this drains the battery power, if any.

I've been testing the remote wipe feature. First run through I'm thinking "what if I was a malicious user that knew how iphones worked?" and I trying to restart the phone in "DFU Mode" where you hold down the sleep/wake button and home button for 15-30 seconds until you see the apple logo and let go. This places the phone into recovery mode in which you have to plug into itunes. This may leave data in a recoverable state but it would take some serious work to do it. I then did the restore in itunes and tried to access my active sync enabled mail server. It just kept spinning trying to connect. The admin console said the device was still "Wipe in progress." My conclusion from this is kerio sees the device as still in wipe mode and doesn't let it access mail (which is good). I went into the admin console and deleted the iphone device (which warns you not to do this if the phone is still stolen). I could then access mail just fine.

I am in the process right now of initiating a remote wipe again, which takes quite a while. So I looked at the Enterprise Deployment Guide for the iphone from apple and here's what it has to say about the remote wipe function:

Quote:

You can remotely wipe the contents of an iPhone or iPod touch. Doing so quickly removes all data and configuration information from the device, then the device is securely erased and restored to original, factory settings. It can take approximately one hour for each 8 GB of device capacity for the process to finish.

Quote:

Important:
Because wiping the device can take a long time, connect the device to its power supply. If the device turns off due to low power, the wiping process resumes when the device is connected to power.

So it does seem to be truly securely erasing the phone. I tried plugging it into itunes (mainly to keep it charged) and said "the pairing record is missing." While typing this it finally finished. 40 minutes to erase a 4gb 1st gen iphone. At which point it just brings up a "plug into itunes" message. And for those curious just reconnecting it to itunes and it will do a restore and then ask to choose a backup to restore from, so no data loss has occurred.

So mail sync works, wipe works. Unfortunately the way contact syncing works I still need to investigate further. I've had issues with the iSync connector in os x and you have to sync your contacts to the server that way as you can no longer sync directly from your address book. So right now I only have "sync mail" turned on.
  •  
Dave Hahn

When I load the Contacts on my iPhone, it is unresponsive for about 10 to 20 seconds while it refreshes (apparently, the spinning wheel is there next to the edge logo) and then it loads. I notice all my personal contacts are mixed with the company public contacts - which makes it look like I have duplicate entries. Our business doesn't have a big GAL, so this isn't too big of a problem, but if we had 10,000 employess, I doubt we would want 10,000 entries in the address book of the phone. The way a blackberry works, only my personal contacts show in the browsable list, and if I search for a contact, then I get results from the GAL. I'm not sure if this behavior is iPhone's doing or Kerio's. I'd be curious how it works for actual exchange/iPhone pairs.

Other than that, it's been working great! I've been using ActiveSync (with the UnsupportedDevices setting turned on) since last Thursday with only the HTML/attachment issues that are already noted in other threads. I still have my original rev 1 iPhone, and don't notice any degradation of battery life.

•  
Martinos

cthomas wrote on Tue, 15 July 2008 18:01

- C. Thomas

No problems with installation KMS 6.5.2 so far.. Smile

Kerio MailServer 6.5.x
Xserve 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
MacOS X Server 10.4.8
Previous Topic: Begging for Novell Evolution Support
Next Topic: Kerio MailServer 6.5.1 WebMail and Firefox 3
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 23:08:26 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00399 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.