Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » iPhone 2.0 Kerio 6.5.2 No push
  •  
mwahahaha

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

I'm currently trialling KMS (Windows) and having a few issues with the push mail on the iphone (Activesync)

I can get everything setup ok on the phone although there doesn't seem to be any pushing of contacts or calendars (Not using mail yet)

If I open the contacts app the phone initiates an activesync session and pulls the contacts from the server but I thought that the server should detect a change (Say I add a contact in webmail) and send a signal to the phone to tell it to sync in the background?

Everything's just running on a LAN at the moment but the phone is checking in over wireless and the correct internal IP for the iPhone is showing in server admin.

Does anyone have any ideas or is this behavior normal?

Thanks
  •  
mwahahaha

Incidentally all the options in the iphone main menu are set for push, also in the mail, contacts, calendars menu.

Really strange that it all works with the phone checking in, just doesn't seem to be getting any push notifications?
  •  
My IT Indy

So are you saying it works, you're just not getting notified?

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
mwahahaha

Activesync is working but it is the iPhone that is initiating the sync.

Say I add a contact in webmail and leave everything alone for 5 mins, if I open contacts on the iphone the new contact is not there until the iphone initiates a sync and finds it, I thought Kerio would detect a change when I change the contact and send a notification to the phone that it should check in and sync?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Please enable ActiveSync debug logging and send the debug log to our support. The server itself does not send any notification (how would it locate your phone?). "Push" technology works in different way - there is one connection which is always established with the server by the device and the server use this connection to inform the device that some change occurred. The phone then has to sync all changes (ie. ask the server).

Which explains why "push" could stop working when the phone switches between 3G, EDGE or WiFi connection.

Anyway, without the debug log any speculations are meaningless.
  •  
mwahahaha

Stupid question but how do you enable active sync logging?

Thanks
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

mwahahaha wrote on Thu, 17 July 2008 00:14

Stupid question but how do you enable active sync logging?

Thanks

Right-click on the debug log: http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/sect-debuglog.html

[Updated on: Thu, 17 July 2008 00:59]

•  
mwahahaha

Thanks for that, I'll get the logs turned on and send them off later today.

I thought that the server would send notifications to the last IP address the phone checked in with that is indicated in Kerio administration - I didn't know that the phone kept in touch with the server, not the other way around.

Maybe it would work better if I had it setup as the system would expect - ie. put my public IP address in the setup in the phone and forward port 443 to the Kerio server. As it stands everything is on a local LAN so if the phone is trying to keep connection via thre 3G/Edge then it will fail. I'll get this setuo this evening see how it goes and enable the logging.

Thanks again for your help
Dan
  •  
mwahahaha

As I suspected when I set everything up properly ie. Forward HTTP and HTTPS to the Kerio server and set activesync to use the public IP the push works perfectly. The iPhone must only maintain the heartbeat on the 3G/Edge connection hence when it was on wifi only pull worked.

Thank-you for all the help and sorry to of time-wasted slightly Embarassed

Cheers
Dan
  •  
71mb0

is that confirmed anywhere that it only uses Edge / 3g for the server heartbeat? As I am in the same situation as you where I am testing only on a private lan over Wifi.

I get the same situation as you describe with only refreshes on the phone resulting in pulling the new info down.

If this is the case then it must be by Apple's design that only cellular connections are used to maintain the push heartbeat and not WIFI.

P.S

to totally throw you all I am 99.99999% positive I did actually have this all working over a private LAN + Wifi yesterday. I was moving calendars about via webmail and it was updating virtually instantly on the phone. Odd..
  •  
71mb0

I've just got it to push update again by dropping the wifi. It worked for a bit (100% sure it was pushing) but now it's stopped again. It seems very buggy or patchy.

I will test with a propper external IP when I can.
  •  
epoc1000

I got the same problems with pushing changes from the server to the iphone. but an external ip is no option in a vpn environment with local ip address space.
  •  
mwahahaha

I don't know whether the iPhone only uses the 3G/EDGE for the hearbeat but I tried it as that's how the system is designed to be used - ie a publicly facing mail server with clients on a cell network (Not all phones have wifi so it must be designed without wifi in mind)

All works like a charm - literally within seconds. Impressive stuff! Unlike Exchange Kerio gives CalDAV access to calendars so is iCal friendly with no 3rd party sync software or Entourage so ver good for Mac users.

•  
My IT Indy

Could the iPhone connect via VPN? It might be possible.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
`Maverick

I just tested the PUSH calendar on Wi-Fi, then EDGE.

Calendar only updated on Wi-Fi when I exited the calendar and re-opened (ie - fetch).

When I was on EDGE, calendar was open and updated within seconds (ie push worked).

My conclusion from this is that PUSH is only designed to work over the cellular connection.

Previous Topic: Change Outlook Mailbox name
Next Topic: Troubles with Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager (BCM)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 12:05:03 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00538 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.