Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS 6.5.2 and calendar notification loop with iPhone events
  •  
cwachs

Send a private message to this user
Since upgrading to KMS 6.5.2 to support iPhones properly, I now have a problem where events created on the iPhone with reminders cause that reminder to pop up in Entourage every three minutes.

For example, I created "test event" for today at 10:00am with a reminder set for 5 min prior on my iPhone. It synced (active sync) to KMS and then to Entourage. On the iPhone, I got the reminder at 9:55am as I should and that was it. In Entourage, the reminder came at 9:55am. I dismissed it. It comes back every 3 minutes (and has been for the last few hours). I dismiss it each time and it pops back again 3 min later. I am not "snoozing" the reminder.

This is repeatable 100% of the time for any event created on the iPhone. If I create the event in Entourage, everything works as it should.

I've repeated this with 2 different iPhones and 2 different mail accounts, both on the primary domain of the KMS server.

Since Monday, I was running KMS 6.5.1 with the "unsupported phones" bit flipped so the iPhone would connect via AS. This problem did not happen under 6.5.1 but started as soon as I upgraded to 6.5.2. I did not make any changes on the phones and did not delete and re-install the accounts on the phones.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Chad
  •  
tek_san

Yes, i can share this experience with you.
SInce the update to 6.5.2 I have the same thing going on.
If you check these events in your webmail you will notice that they also appear every few minutes although they are dismissed a hundred times Wink
What's going wrong?
regards

Oliver

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
Archive:EMA Appliance, SpamFilter: Nospamproxy
  •  
curmudgeon

I have the same thing going on with the exception that it will happen when I create a calendar item within Entourage.
  •  
mactech

cwachs wrote on Thu, 17 July 2008 18:55

Since upgrading to KMS 6.5.2 to support iPhones properly, I now have a problem where events created on the iPhone with reminders cause that reminder to pop up in Entourage every three minutes.

Since Monday, I was running KMS 6.5.1 with the "unsupported phones" bit flipped so the iPhone would connect via AS. This problem did not happen under 6.5.1 but started as soon as I upgraded to 6.5.2. I did not make any changes on the phones and did not delete and re-install the accounts on the phones.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Chad

I was having the issue with KMS v.6.5.1 (with unsupported phones enabled) since initiating the first iPhone push.

It looks like the iPhone Cal app is reversing the action of dismissing the Event in Webmail/Entourage and writing that back to the server.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 July 2008 17:48]

•  
dannyP

I have tons of things on my calendar with reminders set, and every time I am in Kerio Webmail, the reminders keep popping up no matter how many times I dismiss them. Every minute or two, and it says "this event is 2hrs overdue" or whatever amount of time has passed since the initial event that was scheduled.
When I go to my iPhone, edit the event, and set the reminder to 'None', then the problem goes away.

My setup is KMS 6.5.2, iCal with Kerio Sync for Mac & my iPhone with AS.

Thanks in advance!
  •  
bigmountain

I figured I would chime in with my experience as well.... I had this happen to an event this past Thursday. In Entourage, the reminders kept popping up even though I had dismissed the event. Eventually, I just deleted that event thinking that it was something that could be singled out to that one event. I don't know about webmail because I had not logged in via webmail between the time the event took place (or when the first reminder popped up) and when I deleted the event. I also have iCal syncing on my desktop, but the reminder did not pop up repeatedly, which makes me think it might be something with Entourage interacts with iPhone in the sync process. I did not get the repeated reminders in iPhone however, only the first one. This event was created in webmail, but later modified in Entourage when I sent the invite out to another person. That person did not get the repeated reminders. I wonder if there are any iCal users out there that can share their experience to see if this can be narrowed down to Entourage or if it is a global problem despite whatever calendar app the client is using?

Preferred Kerio Partner and Cloud Solutions Provider - Offering both shared and dedicated Kerio Connect hosting solutions.
Visit us at http://bigmountainmail.com
  •  
cwachs

You are right with this. Any time I try to remove the "reminder" from Entourage, the iPhone syncs the alert right back again. I must delete the reminder from the iPhone and then it is fine. Looks like the syncing of the reminder function with Active Sync is not working properly from the iPhone.

I've been using ActiveSync for months with a Palm device and a Windows Mobile device and never had this problem. Looking back, I do recall having this problem with iPhone 2.0 and KMS 6.5.1 with the "unsupported phones" but switched. I thought I had a wierd syncing problem but it was the same exact problem I am seeing with 6.5.2. I hope that does not mean we have to wait for Apple to fix this.

I filed this bug with Kerio, they have acknowledged it and it is in the system as Ticket ID: ILK-539170.

-----------
Server installation:
Kerio Connect 7.1
OS X Server 10.5.8
Apple G4 X Serve
  •  
mactech

Here's what's happening:

I made a copy of one such event when the notifications came up and diff'd it with the original after dismissing the alert in webmail:

To the left the original event file, to the right the same after dismissal:

<snip> 
CLASS:PUBLIC                     CLASS:PUBLIC
BEGIN:VALARM                     
ACTION:DISPLAY                  
TRIGGER;RELATED=START:-PT30M     
END:VALARM                     
END:VEVENT                      END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR                   END:VCALENDAR
<snip>

Kerio gets rid of the Calendar Notifications by deleting the VALARM entries out of the calendar.eml file in your mailbox store.

The iPhone writes these lines back into the event file at sync. I am not sure if we need to file the bug rep with Apple or Kerio....

florian, mac-tech nyc

[Updated on: Sun, 20 July 2008 05:59]

•  
cwachs

Here seems to be the "official" answer on this problem as a result of the ticket I submitted:

Quote:

Kerio MailServer will send the 'Add' command when a calendar event has been changed (for example, the reminder is dismissed). The iPhone has a problem that if it receives the 'Add' command then it sets the reminder back to on. We can correct this by sending the 'Change' command for just iPhone calendars so this is something we can fix in the next version. The next planned release is version 6.6.0. This release will be available in the next few months. Unfortunately we do not have a workaround for this problem.

Good thing 6.6 is already in beta.

-----------
Server installation:
Kerio Connect 7.1
OS X Server 10.5.8
Apple G4 X Serve
  •  
Will Mayall

This problem still exists with the iPhone 2.0.1 update.

I would not have expected this to have been fixed by the update since I think it is something that only Kerio can fix.

Will Mayall
Previous Topic: Problem authenticating users against Open Directory
Next Topic: X-Spam-Flag
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Sep 25 17:18:15 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00480 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.