Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS 6.5.2, iPhone 2.0 and iCal
  •  
indigospring

Send a private message to this user
Hopefully someone can help with some of these. I'm quite sure some of them are Apple problems that I'll have to wait for a fix from them for. Some may be something stupid I've done.

I've just installed KMS 6.5.2 for a client. They're all highly mobile and have (or will when more stock comes into the country) have iPhones and Apple laptops.

I have iCal running on their desktops, ActiveSync set up on the 2.0 1st Gen iPhones they currently have. Kerio Sync syncing their Address books to Kerio.

There are some odd things that may just kill Kerio completely for this client, though Sad

1. All the calendars in Kerio are white. However often they reset the colour in iCal it gets reset to white, meaning they cannot make head nor tail of who is supposed to be where.

2. The iPhone cannot see the shared calendar in the Public folder. Should it be able to?

3. The iPhone cannot see calendars that have been delegated by other users. They really need this to know where colleagues are. Should this work? They show up in iCal, but for most of the day they only have their iPhones with them. If this is an iPhone/ActiveSync issue is there a workaround?

4. (Must be an Apple problem) On the iPhone, they can accept invitations to meetings and can see lists of attendees at meetings, but cannot invite others when creating new appointments on their phones.

5. They have a large shared address book in Open Directory (maintained using Apple's Directory application). This works great for Address Book on the desktop, but using Contacts on the iPhone returns no matches. Does Kerio maintain its own GAL somewhere else? I thought it just plugged right in to LDAP/Open Directory.

Thanks for any pointers.
  •  
indigospring

indigospring wrote on Mon, 21 July 2008 15:51

1. All the calendars in Kerio are white. However often they reset the colour in iCal it gets reset to white, meaning they cannot make head nor tail of who is supposed to be where.

This turned out to be my fault. The users had pre-existing calendars. The only way I could think to get hundreds of appointments bulk moved into Kerio was to publish the calendar from iCal to Kerio's caldav server, rename the calendar using Kerio's webmail interface and then unpublish it. The calendars all looked OK, but turned out to be read-only and any attempts to modify them by adding appointments (or changing the colour) resulted in server errors a few minutes later.

So what's the right way to migrate pre-existing data from iCal into Kerio? At the moment I'm looking at mothballing the current data for historical reasons and starting afresh, but they already have hundreds of meetings with their clients and partners scheduled for months ahead - any of which may need to be modified and rescheduled.
  •  
jhtinc

What I've done for users migrating to a CalDAV server (including Kerio) is this:

- Take the local calendar(s) and export it.

- Delete the local calendar.

- Set up the account in iCal to the server as required.

- Once the account is set up and you've created/named your calendars, then import the saved calendars to the corresponding calendars in the server account.

Everything goes over without a problem. Color properties are set with "Get Info" on the server account calendar, and those in turn propagate to the iPhone when you set up the Exchange ActiveSync connection.
  •  
My IT Indy

Does that work if a calendar is caldav?

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
jhtinc

Yep - it'll work with Kerio's CalDAV and with iCal Server connections.

•  
My IT Indy

Good to know, thanks!

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
indigospring

Thanks.

I solved the import problem by creating new calendars and using the web "copy to" function and then deleting the broken calendars. iCal has no way to copy multiple appointments. This worked fine apart from one user who reports his iPhone shows him one single calendar that does not match any of the ones visible in iCal (or using Kerio web interface).

It still leaves the major problem that they cannot see public calendars or each others calendars on their iPhones. Is this how active sync is supposed to work or are the iPhones the weak link? As they also cannot invite attendees (and see free/busy info) they cannot schedule meetings whilst out of the office. They can use the web interface via Safari, but that seems very unsatisfactory.

They've also reported an issue with iCal's attendee completion. They are having to enter long email addresses every time when iCal should help by listing address book matches etc. Resetting iCal's attendee cache helps sometimes, but not for public calendars. The little propellor appears in the box as they type, but no matches appear, which suggests this is a GAL issue.
  •  
indigospring

I've got things working much better now.

It turns out you need to not only share calendars by giving other users read access, but you also need to subscribe to the calendar, not just in iCal but ALSO in Kerio webmail. Once that's done the other user's calendar shows up on the iPhone using ActiveSync. This is wonderful.

Unfortunately you still cannot see Public calendars. Not good.

Also there seem to be ongoing issues with meeting invitations. Setting the default calendar for invitations on the iPhone remedies some of these. I'm going to dig into this more, but the client reports that changing meetings in iCal does not generate updates for attendees and attendees don't always seem to get invitations.

iCal also does not complete attendee names and emails for the Public calendar. We have worked around this by defining groups in Address Book as, for some reason, these are found and completed.

And of course the iPhone assigns random colours to calendars, but that's an Apple bug and it happens to everyone. Baffling that Steve J allowed this.

Another problem is you can't invite attendees on the iPhone. Nor can you use Webmail in Safari to do this - the simple mobile interface has no calendar, the full interface looks OK, but there's no way to right click or get the menus to work correctly.
Previous Topic: Blacklisted Service
Next Topic: KMS 6.5 and NOD32 DEBIAN
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 14:43:08 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00446 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.