Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Retrieving Mail in Apple Mail doesn't happen or is really delayed (Mail Delivery in Client)
  •  
tammi@tekserve.com

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

We often have problems with users receiving mail with the Apple Mail client. They either don't get messages until the client is quit or message delivery is delayed. This is happening with several users. This problem does not occur when Entourage is in use. Accounts are created using IMAP.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there something I need to check in the client? (I have Mail checking for new messages every minute).

•  
My IT Indy

That sounds a bit unusual. I've never seen that happen. I would check connectivity between DNS and the FQDN of the server if you're using that.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
tammi@tekserve.com

I don't think this is a DNS issue. It seems to only happen with Apple Mail. Entourage works fine.
  •  
318thull

I have a couple of users that are reporting this issue. It has proved very difficult to pin down. Both users are using Apple Mail configured with Exchange accounts and also have iPhones using activesync. Mail will show up instantly on the iphone, however, it will sometimes not show up in the Mail.app Inbox until after restarting the app. I've rebuilt the accounts and tested with existing accounts vs. new accounts. I cannot reproduce the issue during testing, but my users insist the issue exists. Personally, I use Entourage with Exchange and an iPhone with Activesync and never have experienced any significant delay in receiving mail on either device. Anyone else experiencing this?

•  
monsterfreecity

Just chiming in -- I see this behavior on three different Macs using Mail.app with the same accounts via IMAP. The iPhone (ActiveSync) gets the mail right away, but the computers will (individually, randomly) sometimes not get the mail.

FWIW, I've also never seen the IDLE feature work right, either. I've always had to set a polling interval.
  •  
My IT Indy

Okay, I've seen this twice now where mail will receive an email significantly later than an iPhone. It's so sporadic that it's hard to diagnose however it does occur with mail only.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
partsim

Has anyone found a solution for this problem yet? It's completely random here as well (75 users) but happens enough that it needs to be fixed ASAP.

We're new to Kerio, have any of the veterans noticed this after a certain Kerio or Mac OS X update? We're running 10.5.6 Mail and the latest version of Kerio (6.6.2) on a Mac Pro server.

•  
monsterfreecity

I have narrowed this down, but not to a particularly useful degree:

For me, the problem only occurs for accounts on servers on a different subnet than the user computer.

While the problem is not highly repeatable -- sometimes Mail picks up everything just fine from all servers -- I have found that the account/server that fails to notice new messages is on a different subnet 100% of the time.

I tested this on both sides of a VPN over the course of weeks, and each time the far side server messages were the ones that weren't picked up.

6.6.2 versus 6.7b2 seems to make no difference.
  •  
chrisrosa

I'm seeing the same thing for a couple clients. Any further info on this?

Also, my mail server is in the DMZ, so it's definitely not on the same subnet as the clients. Out of 80 or so users, this only seems to be happening for one user.

As a last resort, I'll probably wipe their Apple Mail config and set them up from scratch to see if that fixes things.
  •  
stewie

OK, I'll chime in, FWIW.

First, this is very likely a mail.app problem. If it wasn't then your iPhone nor web mail would show the message. We have about 50 mail.app users here, & when there's a problem 95% of the time it's a mail.app problem

OK, so, whomever typically has the problem, have her watch her iPhone for mail & compare it to Mail.app. When the problem occurs, inspect the kerio logs &/or inspect the packets.

For example use wireshark or
sudo tcpdump -i en1 -xXSs 0 tcp port 143
(BTW, make sure there's no encryption turned on or the packets will be VERY difficult to read Wink)

Or even
/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail -LogSocketErrors YES -LogActivityOnHost your.mail.server -LogActivityOnPort 143

Inspect the activity to see what's (or what's not) going on. Goggle the IMAP protocol if needed. Basic interaction is pretty easy to understand.

In particular, you want to make sure mail.app is actually checking the for messages. Next, you want to verify it's getting a response from the mail server. Then make sure the response is correct. (For ex., when a SELECT is requested, make sure the response has the correct number of EXISTS. That is, if there's 10 messages make sure the server replies "10 EXISTS".)

If all these things are correct, then I'd look to mail.app's index. Just rebuild the mailbox.

That should be a pretty good start. Good luck!

•  
johnj

We are having same issues, mostly with two users who are off-site, though I have had a few reports of in-house users having the same issue. Very sporadic. Apple mail on both Leopard and Tiger.
  •  
Brian (GFI/Kerio)

Try rebuilding the mailbox in Apple Mail.
Under the 'Mailbox' menu item choose 'rebuild'. This has helped in some cases.

Brian Carmichael
Instructional Content Architect
  •  
Corsa600

We are having these problems as well.
Rebuilding the mailbox helps, but doesn´t solve the issue. It will repeat in a cuple of days.
  •  
marook

And please file it at bugreport.apple.com if you find something!

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
My IT Indy

We are seeing this issue on a few servers and I just witnessed it myself the other day. I'll be contacting support Brian and maybe we can figure this out. Happens on both Leopard and Snow Leopard mail clients using both Exchange and imap.

-
My IT Indy
Previous Topic: Spam - From Self
Next Topic: Custom "Pretty" email footers - 3rd party tool recommendations
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:53:27 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00558 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.