Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Disaster recovery revisted?
  •  
phil_w

Send a private message to this user
Just a quick ask out there to anyone with any updated experience on Kerio disaster recovery. The posts I can find are all quite old.

I'm specifically interested in current best practices and the best way to get a 'live' replication of the main server.

I'm setting up 2 xserves in this situation. One is currently the main kerio server running fine. I presume the best I can achieve is recovering the latest backup zip file onto the secondary machine? And then when server one is back up and running take a full zip from the second xserve and copy back to primary so that the mailstore is current?

Obviously this would all take time...

Would XSAN to Fibre RAID be the only way to get 'live' data on both (obviously only starting the kerio engine on 2nd xserve when required)?

Any thoughts / experience would be greatly appreciated...
  •  
My IT Indy

I've used rsync to sync a live mailserver folder to another server with KMS disabled and it's worked fine when I needed to start the backup KMS. The most email I could possibly lose was about 10 minutes worth as I had rsync running every 10 minutes. Obviously with more mail that would have to be spaced out a bit more, but it's easy to setup.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
phil_w

Yeah, That was also what I was thinking - but every post mentioning 'live' backups has been suggested to 'avoid' by Kerio tech support. Everything I've Rsynced in the past has been fine.

Anyone officially like to comment?

Cheers
  •  
phil_w

Anyone using XSAN successfully?
  •  
phil_w

In that case, anyone using Tiger Technology's MetaSan?

Many thanks
  •  
My IT Indy

You absolutely positively do not want KMS on an XSan. XSan is optimized for video storage, not millions of small files.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
My IT Indy

I've talked to Kerio about rsyncing the mailserver folder and they always said something like "that should work just fine". I've done it when I migrated servers and the total downtime was around 5 minutes when I changed DNS, ran rsync one last time, and then turned up KMS on my new server.

-
My IT Indy
Previous Topic: ClamAV on a Linux Install
Next Topic: Configuration file (PRF)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 20:48:24 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00437 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.