Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Send a message to everyone? (Send administrative message to everyone on the server.)
  •  
mmccloy

Send a private message to this user
I'm wondering if there's a way to send an administrative message to everyone on the server in Kerio? Anyone know if there's a simple way to do that?

Thanks!
Mike
  •  
My IT Indy

create a mailing list?

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
winkelman

Create a group (perhaps called 'everyone'?), making everyone a member and sending the group an email?

Note: in theory anyone (also anyone on the Internet) could email this group. A mailing list (previous answer) can prevent this, but costs you a user license per list.
  •  
mmccloy

Thanks for the responses - I did like you said and looked into mailing lists. I'm glad I did - it's a feature of Kerio I haven't looked into until now. I set up a list containing all my clients and set it so only I can send emails to that group. Works great. I wanted something automated so I didn't have to set up every email, but it lets you select users a domain at a time. Got a lot of domains but still it didn't take that long. Now I have to remember to keep it updated Razz

thanks!
  •  
shaggie16

I think there is also an option with groups to say that the group cannot receive email from any other domain other than its own, so that should help close the problem with the group being emailed frmo the outside world.

•  
monsterfreecity

Maybe I'm misremembering what happened when I tried this, but doesn't restricting the group to mailing within the domain then apply the same restrictions to all the members of the group?
  •  
shaggie16

Ah, an interesting point, and I don't know the answer to that!
  •  
winkelman

monsterfreecity wrote on Wed, 27 August 2008 18:55

Maybe I'm misremembering what happened when I tried this, but doesn't restricting the group to mailing within the domain then apply the same restrictions to all the members of the group?

Correct. Groups are mostly used to distribute rights, so setting a group a restricting means that restriction is placed on a members. It's not that the 'group email address' cannot receive emails from outside, it's that no member of the group can themselves send\receive email from outside.

That you can also use a group as a 'distribution list' may be the most used feature, but is actually not the primary reason for it's existence. Sort of a paradox Smile

There's no way to limit a group email address from not being used from outside.
  •  
derek_500

winkelman wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 05:40

monsterfreecity wrote on Wed, 27 August 2008 18:55

Correct. Groups are mostly used to distribute rights, so setting a group a restricting means that restriction is placed on a members. It's not that the 'group email address' cannot receive emails from outside, it's that no member of the group can themselves send\receive email from outside.

That you can also use a group as a 'distribution list' may be the most used feature, but is actually not the primary reason for it's existence. Sort of a paradox Smile

There's no way to limit a group email address from not being used from outside.

Is there a way to restrict a mailing list from receiving from outside the domain? I converted a 'group' to a 'mailing list' to see if I could cut down on some spam, but then I discovered that I get a 'non-member wants to post' request for all the spam, which is very difficult to sift through. I need to leave non-member posts accessible (by approval), not just a flat out deny, but I would like to restrict it to receiving from my domain only. If I could restrict email from outside my domain, I could allow non-member posts to the list.

Thanks
-Derek
  •  
chad.mcdonald

There is a way to do this. This solution doesn't involve using mailing lists at all.

Here's how to do it:

1. Set up your group, make sure you have all the members you want in a group. This can be native Kerio group or a group in your directory service, doesn't matter. (but remember directory users can only be part of directory groups and native users can only be part of native groups)

2. Assign an email address to your group. This should NOT be the email address you want everyone to use when emailing to this group. Best to pick something completely random.

3. Now set up a new native Kerio user account in your users section. Use whatever login name and password you wish. If you plan to publish these details to your GAL then you want accurate information in here. Assign this user account the email address you want everyone to use to send email to the group your are setting up. For example if I'm setting up the "everyone" group at my company I'd want to make sure this user's email address is "everyone<_a.t_>domain.com". In the forwarding section make sure that this user forwards to the email address that you set up for your group (the random one we created in step 2). On the last page of the setup make sure to check the box for "can send/receive from own domain only". This will prevent this email address from being abused by the outside world.

4. It will be possible for crafty folks to try to email your group directly using the random email address we set up in step 2. The beauty of this solution is that if you find out that someone has managed to get their hands on this address all you have to do is change it to something else completely random and update the forwarding user appropriately.
  •  
pcunix

winkelman wrote on Mon, 25 August 2008 07:21
Create a group (perhaps called 'everyone'?), making everyone a member and sending the group an email?

Note: in theory anyone (also anyone on the Internet) could email this group. A mailing list (previous answer) can prevent this, but costs you a user license per list.

They have never updated the manual, but sometime in 2008 (if my memory is worth anything), that changed: mailing lists are not supposed to consume any licenses.

Tony Lawrence
Kerio Preferred Partner and Reseller
Certified for Connect, Control
http://aplawrence.com
  •  
asagohan992

Quote:
There is a way to do this. This solution doesn't involve using mailing lists at all.

Here's how to do it:

1. Set up your group, make sure you have all the members you want in a group. This can be native Kerio group or a group in your directory service, doesn't matter. (but remember directory users can only be part of directory groups and native users can only be part of native groups)

2. Assign an email address to your group. This should NOT be the email address you want everyone to use when emailing to this group. Best to pick something completely random.

3. Now set up a new native Kerio user account in your users section. Use whatever login name and password you wish. If you plan to publish these details to your GAL then you want accurate information in here. Assign this user account the email address you want everyone to use to send email to the group your are setting up. For example if I'm setting up the "everyone" group at my company I'd want to make sure this user's email address is "everyone<_a.t_>domain.com". In the forwarding section make sure that this user forwards to the email address that you set up for your group (the random one we created in step 2). On the last page of the setup make sure to check the box for "can send/receive from own domain only". This will prevent this email address from being abused by the outside world.

4. It will be possible for crafty folks to try to email your group directly using the random email address we set up in step 2. The beauty of this solution is that if you find out that someone has managed to get their hands on this address all you have to do is change it to something else completely random and update the forwarding user appropriately.

This sounds like the best way to do it if you have users in a Directory such as Active Directory because whenever the group membership is updated they will automatically be in the mail list.

However, since you have to create a user in Kerio Connect, this would mean using a licence right? So if I had 5 of these groups that would be 5 more licences wouldn't it?

[Updated on: Sun, 16 June 2013 05:00]

•  
pcunix

Yet another example of something that would be simple to do if we had Milter hooks or a better server side filter language.. create the "everyone" group, but throw away any outside mail.. see http://feedback.kerio.com/forums/29250-kerio-connect/suggest ions/402089-server-side-rules-for-mail-forwarding (after doing "Suggest Idea" in your admin..

Tony Lawrence
  •  
fishtech

pcunix wrote on Sun, 16 June 2013 11:43
create the "everyone" group, but throw away any outside mail. see http://feedback.kerio.com/forums/29250-kerio-connect/suggest ions/402089-server-side-rules-for-mail-forwarding

To achieve the above, I think the option at Groups > Edit Group > Rights > Members of this group can send/receive email to/from it's own domain only will work.

I got 'page not found on your link. But, server-side administrator rules/filters for incoming/outgoing mail might be useful. I used these when I admin-ed a Communigate Pro server.

And is it just me or are a lot of 5/6 yr old threads being revived lately instead of folks asking new questions?

Thanks,

ft.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 June 2013 16:44]

pcunix

Probably the forum breaking links.. you can find this all summarized at my http://aplawrence.com/Kerio/everyone_at_domain.html

Yes, server side rules - I vote for Milters as so many already exist!

Old threads are better than rehashing in a new thread, I think..

Tony Lawrence
Previous Topic: Problems after 8.1.1 Upgrade
Next Topic: Calendar for a Group
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 13:12:43 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00557 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.