Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Strange Outlook (offline) / HTTPS problem
  •  
marco.w

Send a private message to this user
Hi Everybody,

I currently experience the following strange behavior with my Outlook Connector:

I am at a remote office location where my internet access is almost direct (static offical IP address / no NAT / "probably" no Firewall)

The Outlook connector is not able to connect to my Mailserver but HTTPS Webaccess works fine. I thought that the KOC is also just using SSL but it seems that some other protocol is involved when connection to the KMS - and this seems to get filtered/dropped somewhere.

It is not a configuration problem as KOC works fine when I am using my Hotel WIFI.

Does someone have any idea what could cause such a problem.

Thanks,
Marco
  •  
sedell

Just because it works from a hotel, and not the office doesn't necessarily mean it's not a configuration issue. There are a few things that could cause it to work in one location, but not another. Some could be specific to the network, some could be specific to your computer.

Did you use the same address in the KOC server name field that you use to connect to webmail? Do you have the SSL checkbox enabled? Are your DNS servers inside or outside of your network? What happens when you try to connect to webmail without using SSL? Does the remote office connect via a VPN tunnel to the main office?

I would double check the "probably" no firewall, as a firewall can cause these types of problems. I've also never seen a remote office connected to the internet without some sort of protection. It might be basic and simple, it might be built into your router/modem, it might be installed on the PCs themselves, but there's always something to protect the machines.

No NAT? You only have one computer at the remote office?

Scott
  •  
marco.w

Scott - thanks for your answer!

sedell wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 13:44

Just because it works from a hotel, and not the office doesn't necessarily mean it's not a configuration issue. There are a few things that could cause it to work in one location, but not another. Some could be specific to the network, some could be specific to your computer.

Did you use the same address in the KOC server name field that you use to connect to webmail? Do you have the SSL checkbox enabled? Are your DNS servers inside or outside of your network? What happens when you try to connect to webmail without using SSL? Does the remote office connect via a VPN tunnel to the main office?

In both, https:webmail and KOC I use mail mailservers name (resolution via dns works I also tried it via hosts file) I also tried just the ip address - of course I do get a certificate error then. SSL is checked in KOC. http:webmail also works.

sedell wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 13:44

I would double check the "probably" no firewall, as a firewall can cause these types of problems. I've also never seen a remote office connected to the internet without some sort of protection. It might be basic and simple, it might be built into your router/modem, it might be installed on the PCs themselves, but there's always something to protect the machines.

No NAT? You only have one computer at the remote office?

The reason why I am not using NAT is because we are using 6 IP addresses that are passed-by our firewall in order to get unfiltered and unsecured access to the internet. It is mainly used for testing. My Laptop is currently using one of these 6 IP addresses. Our router, that I am connected to right now, is not having any access lists or firewalls enabled.

As I said i find it very strange as I've never had any problems like that with KOC before - and the very same KOC configuration worked without any problems on many different networks in the past.
Previous Topic: [firebird problem] Unable to open store.fdb
Next Topic: Sonicwall Email Security 200
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 01:43:33 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00416 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.