Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Blackberry Notify Link Advice
  •  
mobius2011

Send a private message to this user
Hi

I have some users that have about 30 Blackberry 8310's & their mail is on Kerio Mail server.

They want me to provide a sync solution between Kerio & their Blackberrys & I see after searching onthis forum that Notify Link is the main solution?

Can anyone tell me if this is a worthwhile pursuit or I am in for some serious pain with implimenting this on the network.

What are the known alternatives? Thanks.

•  
sonjam

NotifySync ?
http://www.notifycorp.com/products/notifysync/index.htm
(kinda Notifylink buth w/o middleware, using ActiveSync)

[Updated on: Fri, 28 November 2008 23:39]

•  
mobius2011

Update. We have since started using Astra Sync for use with Blackberry/Kerio Mail sync.

http://www.astrasync.com

http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=307

Heaps easier & cheaper than Notifylink server or getting them hosted by Notifylink.

We try to convince customers not to buy Blackberry, as they are by far the most expensive option compared to active sync pda/smartphones, but for those who insist on BB, its astra sync.

5 min setup.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 January 2009 06:26]

•  
Jamie.E

Hi,

We tried AstraSync on our Blackberries but apart from the fact that it wiped my battery life in minutes it didnt seem to work with the additional mail folders in Kerio.

Notify Corp have now released a client only version of Notify for Blackberry called NotifySync which offers full folder mirroring, contact, calendar and tasks sync via Kerio's activesync gateway with no hosted server requirements like their Enterprise solution.

There seem to be a few differences between AstraSync and NotifySync. However NotifySync seems to do the job better and has a few more control features. Dont take my word for it though. Check out http://www.notifysync.co.uk

Best Wishes

Jamie
  •  
mobius2011

Thanks Jamie, I didnt realise there was a client only version now Notifysync, I will have to look into that. This is the product I first looked at Notifylink:

http://www.orion.com.au/notifylink.html

We first trialled Notify Link at the end of last year. The download of the client side software crashed 2 of the handsets & they had to be taken to the supplier for repair.

The ones that DID work, its cost $15 per month for their Notify push services. Astra sync while it didnt have the inbox subfolders, deleted items & sent items , was $45 a year, as opposed to $180 per year with Notify link.

Astra sync will have the subfolder addition in April 09. But in the meantime, Im gonna trial the client side Notify Sync & see how much different it is. Unlike Astra Sync though, I cannot find anywhere the actual price of Notifysync, only "have a trial".

Do you know what the price is Jamie?

Regarding the battery life, we found that if we turned off "enable push", the battery lasted the whole day easy, as the phones default sync time was 5 mins.

M

[Updated on: Wed, 21 January 2009 23:16]

•  
Jamie.E

Hi Mobius

Very surprised to hear you had problems with the NotifyLink product as I have seen it go on loads of handsets without a problem. The odd problem we did come across usually was a problem with the handset from a previous config like BES or an incomplete service book setting set at the cell network. Anyhow the support team who answered the phone were able to diagnose the issues straight away and gave us a clear way forward. We thought it was worth the money for the professional service they provided.

We have used it places and mailservers you cant normally connect blackberrys with BES so have been very happy with the support and service provided in the solutions Notify provide.

Either way the new Notifysync product worked out way cheaper for us over a 3 year deal than any other solution out there and all the features worked like BES without the costs. I can't comment on your pricing because my needs may not be the same as yours. Give the guys at London Web a call and I'm sure they'll sort you out.

Best Wishes

Jamie

•  
mobius2011

Jamie, after your pointer on Notifysync (& apologies Sonjam for not seeing your post correctly the first time, I saw it as notifylink) I contacted them for a trial.

Wow, what a cloak & dagger affair! First of all Notifycorp doesnt have any pricing, just this "contact our sales rep". so in other words, there is one price for some & another for others.

Wheras Rims & Astra Sync are very open & honest about their pricing.

After 10, thats no exageration, 10 emails to their sales team, I eventually got a price & a trial. How dodgy is that?

The product itself looks good & in the end its up to my client whether they want Astra Sync or want to pay the bit extra & get a full featured product like Notifysync. But based on my experiences, Im not a fan of dealing with their sales or support team. Downright rude, evasive & obstructionist. So Im hoping my clients choose Astra Sync as their full featured product is available in April -May for a 3rd of the price of Notifysync.

•  
88fingerslukee

Guys,

I've contacted Notify but I'm expecting the run-around based on this thread. They seem super shady.

I'm going to have 2 users (I know, we're small) with BB's on our server. Is AstraSync that much of a hog with push activated? These guys are pretty much going to demand their emails pushed.
  •  
mobius2011

88fingerslukee : "I'm going to have 2 users (I know, we're small) with BB's on our server" (how do you quote in this forum, which button is it?)

88fingers, I have plenty of clients about that size. Most of them I have on Astra sync. Mainly because I didnt know about Notifysync at the time. In the end, its entirely up to my clients whether they want to pay NOW for a full featured solution like Notifysync which costs more $150 for the first year & $35 for subsequent years. Or have Astra sync which is cheaper at $49 a year, but doesnt have inbox subfolders, sent items, deleted items etc, plus you cant accept calendar appointments.

Astra Sync tell me they will have this sorted out in the next version (version 3) due to be released April-May 09. So if people can hang another 3 months, I suggest stay with Astra Sync.

If they need it all NOW! Then Notifysync.

Is Astra Sync that much of a hog with push activated? Well both Notifysync & Astrasync have push & scheduled push. The default scheduled push period is 5 mins. I did notice more battery drain with push on. Without push the battery lasted 1-2 days. With push it was 3/4 of a day to 1 day.

While that is not great, when customers are given the choice between the TCO of BES or Notifylink servers, licensing, labour, maintenance, as opposed to Notifysync or Astra Sync, they have gone with the later everytime.

•  
88fingerslukee

mobius2011 wrote on Sat, 24 January 2009 13:51

88fingerslukee : "I'm going to have 2 users (I know, we're small) with BB's on our server" (how do you quote in this forum, which button is it?)

You can just use quote tags.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure we can wait the 3 months.
  •  
gbrown100

Hi all,

Do any of the client only products support syncing public folders?

Thanks

Graham
  •  
mobius2011

Graham, Notifysync has inbox subfolders . Astra sync will have the ability as of April this year. But neither have public folders. They both seem to update versions quickly, so maybe you could request it as a feature enhancement.

Notifysync & Astra Sync feature comparison.

Notifysync

http://www.notifycorp.com/products/notifysync/index.htm

Email:

Uses custom NotifySync email client to send, receive, reply to and forward emails
Folder mirroring allows email folders from your mail account to be synchronized to the device
Attachment viewing is supported using the BlackBerry native viewers for Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Emails with attachments can be forwarded

PIM: (Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks)

Interfaces to the BlackBerry's native calendar, contact and tasks applications
Synchronize calendar events in a configurable Look-Back/Look-Ahead range
Multiple address books supported
Remote lookup (Global Address List) retrieves contact information from the customer's LDAP directory
Receive and accept/decline meeting invitations

Security:

SSL encryption protocol for data-in-motion between the BlackBerry and the email platform
Remote wipe can be initiated by the email platform for a lost or stolen device
Inactivity timeout configurable by end user

Push types:

Supports direct push
Supports scheduled push intervals configurable by end user

Setup and configuration:

All information for set-up and configuration are entered on the BlackBerry device

Supported email platforms:

Microsoft Exchange 2003 /07/ SBS
CommuniGate Pro
Zimbra
Kerio

Price: $150 USD for the first year & $35 USD every year after that.

Astra Sync

http://www.astrasync.com/

Synchronizes email, calendar and contacts over-the-air
Supports Exchange ActiveSync
Supports Exchange DirectPush
Supports secure https connection
Works with Microsoft Exchange 2003 & 2007
Works with MailSite Fusion
Works with Kerio MailServer 6.6
Works with CommuniGate
Over-the-air download
Synchronizes over Wi-Fi or the cellular network
Requires a simple one-time configuration
Use SSL
Use WiFi
Connect via BIS, WAP or TCP
Audio and/or vibration message alert
Synchronize email
Synchronize calendar
Synchronize contacts
Local and Global address book lookup
Max message size to download
Message retrieval period
Save copy of sent messages on server

Price: $49 USD per year

M
  •  
gbrown100

Hi,

Thanks for that. I realised it is a stupid question as ActiveSync does nto support public folders so unlikely anything else will.

I wonder whether it will sync a shared folder... I'll do some testing.

Graham
  •  
Jamie.E

Hi Graham

Notifysync does support Public Folder contacts through its Company Directory feature. At least you can search and retrieve details for people listed. I believe this is also published from Kerio and Exchange via LDAP

Best Wishes

Jamie
rkovelman

Jamie.E wrote on Fri, 30 January 2009 06:37

Hi Graham

Notifysync does support Public Folder contacts through its Company Directory feature. At least you can search and retrieve details for people listed. I believe this is also published from Kerio and Exchange via LDAP

Best Wishes

Jamie

This is what hurts the most. We use public folders for just about everything, calendar and contacts. How can it not sync that. I am looking into other solutions, just might not be OTA.
Previous Topic: Kerio with outlook and thunderbird
Next Topic: Bayesian Filter not Learning
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 20:09:23 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00524 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.