Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Controlling My Users Message Stores (Best Practices for Setting Quotas)
  •  
catoxpress

Send a private message to this user
I have about 150 users on a mixture of KOC, KOFF, POP. I have noticed that they all like to keep every piece of email that was received or sent. I would like to start setting up quotas to prevent the message stores from getting out of hand (we have some users with 4-5 GB or storage).

What are some best practices that you are using that make sense and that users across the board can live with?

We also have archiving on the KMS set for every piece of mail so it's not like we can't retrieve very imporant mail item if neccessary (and they know which month it was sent).

Please advise.
  •  
BudDurland

The first thing to do is go to the kerio support area and put in a feature request for server-side grooming of the "Sent (Items)", "Trash / Deleted items), and "Junk e-mail" folders. There's an amazing amount of space that be recovered right there. The sooner Kerio adds this feature to KMS the better.

Generally, POP users won't be leaving any messages on the server, unless they've specifically set their mail client to do so.

Next send a message to your users saying that because of space restraints on the server, they need to clean up their mail accounts. Specifically reference the folders mentioned above). Many users don't realize that they have a "sent items" folder, or what goes in it.

For your Outlook users, maybe the answer is to set up Message archiving. This basically moves messages of a certain age to an off-line .pst file. This is somewhat of a band-aid in that storage still has to be provided for the messages, but maybe locally stored and backed up is better for your environment. auto-archive also lets to specify which folders should simply have the messages permanently deleted, rather than moved.

If you would like to find out who your space hogs are, and your Kerio server is on a Windows box, there are several utilities on the market that will check disk space. I use a commercial product called FolderSizes. it's $50, but does a great job of searching for space consumption and can be very detailed.

Finally, set the quotas. When users stop getting mail because they haven't done their housekeeping, maybe they will get the idea.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
winkelman

BudDurland wrote on Mon, 22 September 2008 19:14

The first thing to do is go to the kerio support area and put in a feature request for server-side grooming of the "Sent (Items)", "Trash / Deleted items), and "Junk e-mail" folders.

Upcoming KMS 6.6.0 will have this feature for Junk E-mail and Deleted Items...

Ontopic:
I use strict quotas. The biggest problem is not technological, but between you and your users. All users will agree that some quota is reasonable, only many of them will feel that the quota you've set for them is unreasonable Confused . Cause here's how it works in practise for 90% of the (my) users:

They don't clean out, never do, so at some point will hit the quota. Then they will call you pleading for a higher quota. You say: "No, clean up!", because if you enlarge quota's too easily, you could just as well have no quota's at all. Your users will plead that they already cleaned out everything they can (they're lying) and already have spent hours on it (they're lying). Be firm! No = no. You'll see that within 10 minutes of having accepted the "No" the users will have cleaned out a large part of the messages. (I always like to call the user in such a case and ask for an explanation. I don't like being bullshitted and users realising this helps in future issues... Twisted Evil )

Here comes the tricky part: some users really do need a higher quota then others. In my case for example our Public Relations staff because they email larger photos etc.

So the trouble is keeping the quota's in a reasonable way without being to easy in enlarging them. You have to be very firm with your users. Not all admins are in a position to make these final decisions ("No larger quota for you!"). Perhaps it doesn't fit their personality, perhaps they don't have the authority. Make sure management is behind you on this. Then going over your head won't help your users and this will save you from even more trouble.
  •  
dexterb

Is the #deleted folder (that's spelled "#deleted" without quotes) included in the quota? This exists in every user's subfolder and appears to contain deleted items that were 'permanently' deleted from the user's mailbox. The size of this folder alone for many of my users is over 1Gb each. (No, we don't use quotas.) According to Kerio support this folder is safe to delete, as it is re-created once a user deletes another message. Sadly I must delete these folders periodically and by so doing I can free up 40-60Gb.
  •  
sedell

dexterb wrote on Tue, 23 December 2008 12:15

Is the #deleted folder (that's spelled "#deleted" without quotes) included in the quota? This exists in every user's subfolder and appears to contain deleted items that were 'permanently' deleted from the user's mailbox. The size of this folder alone for many of my users is over 1Gb each. (No, we don't use quotas.) According to Kerio support this folder is safe to delete, as it is re-created once a user deletes another message. Sadly I must delete these folders periodically and by so doing I can free up 40-60Gb.

This is part of the deleted items recovery feature. You can turn it off if you want, or lower the number of days it retains deleted items for. It's on the messages tab of the domain setup window.

Scott
Previous Topic: Alternative Archiving Solution
Next Topic: Error reading inbox
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 14:51:14 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00408 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.