Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Any suggestion how to track returned email with Kerio?
  •  
wyx2000

Send a private message to this user
When I send email out, some will bounced, I can track them with kerio. But for other emails, they will be sent to the destination email server without problem, but the email server on the other side will send back a returned email when they think the email is a spam or user email box has problem etc. In this case, the returned email will go to the sender's email or a reply email box, suppose I can make them send to an account on my kerio server, is there a way I can trap them and log them?

thanks
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

No, I'm afraid you can't. Bounce messages are always sent to sender's or reply-to address. That's how emails works.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
Lyle M

The biggest challenge with this is that there is very little standardization out there when it comes to the formatting of bounce messages. You also have the fact that some servers simply discard vs. bounce.

If your goal is statistics, your numbers are going to be quite fuzzy. If your goal is to simply see the items that get bounced, there is something you can try - however tedious.

Enable archiving in the KMS console. Make sure that you have only "Incoming Messages" checked. Use "Archive to remote email address," and send the messages to an account dedicated to the process - we'll call him archivedude<_a.t_>yourdomain.biz.

Log into the webmail account for archviedude. Disable his spam filter in the spam tab of the general settings window. Create a new folder to which to route the bounce messages.

Now it's time for the dirty work. This is where you get to look at all your incoming email and start designing your own filters to move the bounce messages to your bounced folder. You'll look for all the "MAILER-DAEMON," "Mail Delivery (Sub)System," etc. from addresses and cull from that data how to best build your filters. You could try separating the returns from the undeliverables, etc if you want. With about 5 filters for the top 5 from addresses, you may be able to route a good 80-90% of bounce messages.

If you share out the bounce folder to your own email account for easy viewing, make sure you log into archivedude from time to time to keep his inbox clean and keep pace with your filters.

Obviously, make sure your company's policies allow for this level of access to incoming email. Also, avoid using an external email server for your archive destination as this will have a negative effect on server performance.

Good luck. If you try this, report back on your progress. I haven't done this myself, so I'm curious.

Regards,
Lyle Millander
Previous Topic: smtp authentification takes a long time
Next Topic: Bombarded with Spam messages in Inbox - NOT being filtered!!
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Sep 25 09:54:03 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00404 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.