Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Engine Failed to Initialize -8
  •  
krisGrafx

Send a private message to this user
Hi everybody,

I have a huge problem with my mailserver, each time I try to launch mcAfee antivirus i've got an error message : Engine Failed to Initialize -8

Does anybody knows what to do ?

please heeeeeeeeeelp
Thx
  •  
Jeff Wadlow (Kerio)

Are there any message being logged to the error log?
  •  
krisGrafx

Yes i Have :
[01/Apr/2004 16:05:44] mail_avir.cpp: Cannot start AV server from plugin avir_mcafee: Engine failed to initialize - 8

and of course

[01/Apr/2004 17:04:22] mail_avir.cpp: Antivirus check of mail from <> to <> failed: server not running

I tried to re-install kerio but nothing changed i still have the message...

Thx for answering ;-)
Chris
  •  
Jeff Wadlow (Kerio)

This might be a problem with a corrupted virus database. The error probably occured during an update. Look in the Kerio/MailServer/mcafee folder at the *.dat files. Do they have zero size? If so, a solution is to delete all these *.dat files and reinstall KMS
  •  
krisGrafx

Shaggadelic ! It Works !!! How could I thank you ???

Seriously, thx a lot for this trick, I was wonderin if there were a solution.

Chris

•  
dmstork

JWadlow wrote on Sat, 03 April 2004 01:39

This might be a problem with a corrupted virus database. The error probably occured during an update. Look in the Kerio/MailServer/mcafee folder at the *.dat files. Do they have zero size? If so, a solution is to delete all these *.dat files and reinstall KMS

Alternativly, you also could download the zipped datfile from McAfee. Unzip the datfiles into the mcafee folder to replace the corrupt datfiles. After this, stop/start the mcafee engine in the Kerio console and update McAfee again.

Fast repairtime and no downtime.

This was with version 5.7.3, but i guess this will work on many versions.
  •  
krisGrafx

Thx for this tip, I hope I wont have to try it !!!
Krisgrafix
  •  
yacine

Hi,

I have the same issue, .dat corrupted...

But I can not reinstall my kerio 5.7.6 (linux) as it is in production.../...

Which McAfee version is running on kms 5.7.6, how can I check it ?

Anyway where (free of charge which is not the case on the mcafee web site) download these .dat files to sort out this issue ?

Thank you,
Regards.
  •  
keneisman

yacine wrote on Wed, 27 April 2005 05:45

Anyway where (free of charge which is not the case on the mcafee web site) download these .dat files to sort out this issue ?

Even though McAfee has that little disclaimer on their website that says you have to have a PrimeSupport contract to download DAT files, you can still download the DATS. Just click on the name of the file you need and follow the prompts. It WILL let you download it. http://www.mcafeesecurity.com/us/downloads/updates/dat.asp

HTH
Ken
  •  
magnum

In another thread i have posted the same problems.

There is an answer from Kerio:

McAfee has changed the DAT-Files, the new DAT files are not compatible with Kerio Mailserver < 6.0

The only two ways:
- deactivate Virus-Scan
- use alternate Virus-Scan
- upgrade to Mailserver 6.x
  •  
yacine

Or simple/quicker and what I was looking for (did not know why I did not think about it first...) :

Download the same KMS version you have in production, pick up the .dat files, install them on you bogus KMS and restart AV on the console.

For those who may need to do the same tomorrow and do not want to have their boss around their desk all the day, here are the steps for a linux distro :

1) Download the same version as the one you use on
http://download.kerio.com/archive/
Mine is : kerio-mailserver-mcafee-5.7.6-rh7.i386

2) mv kerio-mailserver-mcafee-5.7.6-rh7.i386 /tmp
cd /tmp
rpm2cpio kerio-mailserver-mcafee-5.7.6-rh7.i386 | cpio -idv
cp ./opt/kerio/mailserver/mcafee/*.dat /opt/kerio/mailserver/mcafee

3) Restart AV on the admin console and do an update

4) Just in case (if it happen again) copy the .dat files in a backup directory ;-)

Do not take care of your old update.ver file as it will change during the first AV update.

PS: Thanks for the link keneisman, it could be of use.
PSbis: Maybe a good topic to add in the knowledge DB ? I think kerio support should open it to their customers (moderated of course) as the knowledge DB is IMHO not technical enough...

Regards,
Yacine.
  •  
heroman

For krisGrafx:
i have the same problem,but i Solves it.
if you have a Antivirus Software like Symantec or mcafee..
the real antivirus protect function will kill the virus.
so ,if the kerio mail server generate a virus sample name as "eicar",the realtime Antivirus system will kill it first than the kerio mail server's engine.

the solves method:
please configuration your antivirus software option.use the "exclude folder" function,exclude the kerio mail server install folder,then restart the kerio mail server(stop,then start)
your kerio mail server's mcafee antivirus engine will OK!
Previous Topic: Novice question. Prevent messages from deleting after receive
Next Topic: Any way to sync without outlook connector?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 11:21:57 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00706 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.