Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KOFFBackend.exe Oddity
  •  
SgtL

Send a private message to this user
I've used google for about 3 hours now and haven't found an answer on this. There's ONE user in my office who's Outlook hangs for a good 60-90 seconds (sometimes longer) for no apparent reason after having Outlook open for about an hour or more. Task manager shows KOFFBackend.exe using ~50% of the processor and it is typically eating about 130-160MB of memory. From the searches, it looks like Kerio's Offline Outlook Connector usually hogs that much memory. Why would it randomly cause Outlook to hang for a couple minutes, though? The machine is running XP, Office 2003, and if memory serves has ~1GB of memory. If I've forgotten anything, let me know. Appreciate any help!
  •  
Paddy

I've got the same.

One user clean install of XP Pro SP3 Office 2003 SP3

The CPU for KoffBackend.exe constantly 'pulses' up to 50% CPU

Haven't been able to find a solution. Crying or Very Sad
  •  
RPC_Admin

This may not be the solution for you. I installed XP's SP3 to test it with Kerio and some other software and I found what was a 30-80 lag to open was fixed.

Obviously SP3 has had it's issues so test it well before you deploy. But I was amazed at the difference it made with Kerio around my office.
  •  
Paddy

Thanks for the reply.

This user has SP3 installed.
  •  
SgtL

Thanks for the info. I don't think SP3 is installed on the user's machine, so I'll try that.
  •  
Paddy

This gets more weird;

I got the user to log onto my workstation. We then created her Kerio profile and once the initial sync was complete there was no sign of the excessive CPU usage by KoffBackend.exe. It was pretty much 0%CPU

This surely rules out any problem with her mail store on the server.

I then logged on to her laptop as myself and created my Kerio profile. Again once the initial sync was complete the CPU usage was again virtually 0%.

This rules out any software compatibility problems.

I then deleted her Windows Profile and got her to log in thus creating a new profile. Once this was done a new Kerio profile was created. At the end of it all KoffBackend.exe was once again using 50% CPU.

I then created a new domain account for this user. She logged on with her new account set up Kerio and again KoffBackend.exe was eating 50% CPU

I'm at a loss as to what to try next.
  •  
cbsys

You're lucky

My Koff process uses 90% when outlook opens and 299Mb of memory most of the time!

If you keep task manager open, you can actaully see koff memory useage increase by a few Kb every few seconds, and this is when it is in idle.

In my view koff is the biggest piece of S*** ever created and causes more problems than its supposed to fix.

•  
Paddy

Looks like I've found the problem.

This users uses a Dell laptop which came with a application called 'MediaDirect' this includes a help app called 'outlookaddinsetup'.

A google for outlookaddinsetup shows no end of problems with high cpu. I unistalled it and now all seems well
  •  
SgtL

Glad to hear you found a solution. It looks like that maybe one of many. My user isn't using a Dell, and that software is not on the machine. I'll keep searching for a solution.

Thanks!
  •  
andrew

I have same issue on windows 7 as well as XP Professional machines. It is the case on many machines in our organization. Unless I there is a fix, I have to replace Kerio with another mail server. Any updates on how to resolve this?
Previous Topic: inbox messages do not shown
Next Topic: Automatically E-mail Signatures
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Sep 25 08:10:14 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00508 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.