Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS 6.5.1 shuts down with no apparent reason
  •  
aachim

Send a private message to this user
Hi, I'm running KMS 6.5.1 on Fedora 8 (with all updates). Since yesterday, my mailserver process just dies with no apparent reason and no errors in logs. Sometimes the server dies once every 10-15 minutes, sometimes more frequently. There was a processor spike and 100% ceiling for the avserver process right around the times the server would crash, so we disabled the McAfee antivirus. But the server still crashes randomly and now there are no processor/memory/network spikes, it just tanks out of nowhere. Please help as I'm gradually losing my mind and my job. I could not find anything in the forums/kb, other than using monit to restore the process when it dies. That's great, only it interrupts users and creates a nightmare. I had this version running for almost half a year with no issues, and nothing changed yesterday. We're using a mixture of Outlook 2003 with KOFF and Thunderbird with straight IMAP. I cleaned a lot of the large mailboxes and stared at logs all day to maybe catch a pattern or some event right at the time of the crash. I restarted the machine several times. Nothing unusual. This is extremely frustrating. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Andrei
  •  
bperkins

This sounds very familiar to what was happening to me a couple months ago. Try turning off SPF checking if you are using it. This was my problem. Notice in the release notes for 6.5.2:

- Fixed handling of certain SPF records.

If this is not your problem, I recommend turning on ALL messages in the debug log and then compare them when it crashes. I know you said you have studied the logs, but just make sure you have ALL the logging turned on (this is not the default).

Hope this helps! I feel your pain, because mine was crashing every 15 minutes also after running for months of no problems. Took me a while to figure it out. I'm now a bald man.

Take care,
Brian
  •  
aachim

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I had SPF off (never worked properly), so that's not my issue, but I will definitely turn all logs on, at this point that's all I'm doing - staring at the machine, waiting for it to crash... I'm noticing something that happens close to the crash (quite consistently), that says:

"Key 00015ddc in property database of folder ~myuser<_a.t_>mydomain.com/INBOX not found or value empty"

...but I've seen that before on a normal day (i.e. when server did not tank every 10 minutes). I shut that user's Outlook down anyway (he'll be back in it any minute, can't keep anyone out of their email nowadays), I'll see what I get at the next crash.

Hair is turning gray - I guess bald is next logical step.

Thanks.

Andrei

[Updated on: Wed, 08 October 2008 19:19]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

The fastest and easiest way is to go at http://support.kerio.com, open the ticket in eSupport and request FTP login for uploading core files from crashes. Core files are being analyzed almost immediately by developers and known crashes are usually solved in few hours.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 October 2008 20:31]

•  
aachim

After 2 days of pulling hair I came to the conclusion that this happens mostly when one user's Outlook (with KOFF) is connecting to the server. These 2 lines are consistently present in the debug log (message folders operation) right before the crash:

[09/Oct/2008 08:35:24][27670] {folder} Key 00015e2e in property database of folder ~user<_a.t_>domain.com/INBOX not found or value empty (get)
[09/Oct/2008 08:35:24][27670] {folder} Key 00015e2e in property database of folder ~user<_a.t_>domain.com/INBOX not found or value empty (modify)

I cleaned the user's mailbox by archiving some mail (it was around 8Gigs, now it's half), did not solve the problem. This user was not on all day yesterday and all night (oh yeah, my users seem not to sleep at night...) and the server did not crash once until this user turned his Outlook on.

I don't know of any "repair" commands for Kerio. How do I fix this mailbox in a nondestructive way?

Thanks.

Andrei

[Updated on: Thu, 09 October 2008 15:16]

•  
RHarmsen.nl

Just contact Kerio Support, they are the once that can help you!
Previous Topic: Errors occurred while archiving
Next Topic: Getting Kerio to Accept Unknown Devices
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 09:04:06 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00434 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.