Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » E-Mail Search (Perform a Search within E-Mail body (WEBMAIL))
  •  
mrman

Send a private message to this user
Hi all.

I don't know if anyone has posted this before, but I'd like to ask what about searching through e-mail body, besides the fields that already webmail has.

That function would be very interesting and useful, specially when using an operating system such as linux that has no email client such as OE6.

Had anyone asked or posted this before?

Best Regards.

Paul.
  •  
sedell

There have been several posts about it. As of now, body searching isn't available in webmail. Unless it's changed recently, IMAP search doesn't work properly either, unless you have a mail client that has the full contents (headers and bodies) of you mail store.

Scott
  •  
mrman

Hi Scott:

I'm talking only about WEBMAIL.

It's a pitty that we can't perform searches through email body.

Imagine someone that has a pc with no email client and only seeing email through webmail.

But that's OK.

I think Kerio may have this idea. Maybe they're working on this.

All we have to do is wait for that.

Regards.
  •  
sedell

If you look, I said WEBMAIL. Pointing out IMAP because people try to use that as a work-around, but it doesn't get around the issue.

Scott
  •  
mrman

You're right!!!

Sorry.
  •  
winkelman

mrman wrote on Fri, 10 October 2008 17:37

I think Kerio may have this idea. Maybe they're working on this.

They have had the idea for many years, but until now choose not to implement this.

Reason is the way Kerio stores all emails/contacts/tasks/etc: as individual files on the server. This compared to having a database, such as perhaps Exchange Server has. There are many benefits of having separate files, but one downside is searching is very ssslllooowww. The server would have to open, analyse and close the many thousands of files when body searching. Searching through a database with indexes is very much faster.

So: enabling something like body search in the current KMS could mean that many servers that are running perfectly fine now would just crumble under the search load. And searches would take pretty long. Can you imagine a user doing a search and then waiting patiently for a minute or two? I can't. My users would have closed Webmail already after 10 seconds thinking it was crashed. Those impatient bastards! Twisted Evil Cool
  •  
mrman

Hi winkelman;

I totally agree with you on that.

But Kerio has the tools to, at least, try doing sth like this.

All I say is that it would be a very nice tool for KMS WM, but I also understand the opposite (servers working slow, etc).

Yeah, in the end, I would have also closed the webmail thinking that it crashed when no results comes to my screen!!!!

Thanks for the responses.
Previous Topic: kerio-Mail-Address only has name
Next Topic: Big Slowness problems
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Sep 22 01:10:29 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00470 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.