Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » best mobile device for KMS?
  •  
martinsch

Send a private message to this user
Driven by the need for mobile device support (Nokia or Microsoft Mobile or iPhone) we plan to migrate from Mdaemon to KMS.

At the moment we are free to decide for a mobile device. Therefor the question: which one works without any trouble? We want to have emails+calendar+contacts synchronized.

iPhone would be the preferred device. But if others work better (no duplicates, etc.) then we would use a Nokia E73 or whatever fits best.

Any feedback and experience is appreciated very much.

Thanks a lot,
Martin
  •  
rigo

wow if you can get the iphones why deal with anything else! over here trying to deal with a mogul 6800 and I am ready to heave it out the window.

[Updated on: Sat, 11 October 2008 03:13]

•  
martinsch

no doubt, iPhone is a cool device. But i need one which makes no trouble. And if i read the thread about duplicate records when using a iPhone in this forum, i get a bit worried.
Therefor the question about experience with different devices.
  •  
roly

hello
we have best expiriences with "htc" and ms windows mobile 6.x.
as well as with apple's iphone.
but the iphone is more a toy then a real tool ... Smile
bye from ch and me ! Razz
  •  
My IT Indy

I use an iPhone and have 3-4 dozen connected to my hosted server and haven't had any issues for clients. I have had them setup with IMAP for email and Activesync for contacts/calendar with KMS 6.5.2 however with v6.6 due soon we can ditch the imap for email and use Activesync for everything.

I like my iPhone for pretty much everything, and had an iPod Touch before that along with an HTC Windows Mobile phone.

The only "Bad" thing abotu the iPhone is that it doesn't sync tasks.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
rigo

well I guess I am keeping the HTC Mogul 6800 for now, I changed the setting to allow unsupported devices and bam, got Activesync to kms.

I went with the mogul because I can remote desktop to the servers and its tough screen works ok, it also has wifi and that was just a must--the new 6900 does not have wifi so that was out of the question and sprint's samsung instinct (wanabe iphone) lacks all the good features already mentioned.

Since I have to stay with sprint for now (got personal issues with att) my mogul is keeping up with what I need it to do. I also hear great things from the new htc Touch Pro to be released by the end of the year.

so if att was not an issue I would be using iphone now, in the meantime, the mogul is doing what I need it to do.

ps HoosierMac: why are you using IMAP for email and not Activesync? iphone will do email activesync on 6.5.2

[Updated on: Mon, 13 October 2008 04:41]

•  
dsegel

I do ActiveSync to KMS from my iPhone and it works great. Contacts, calendar, and e-mail. I also have a Windows Remote Desktop client and an SSH client on the iPhone that let me connect to my servers remotely. It all works far better than I expected, and is waaaay better than any other device I've tried.
  •  
jshaw541

Although, I mainly use an iPhone. The best experience is easily with a Windows Mobile 6.1 device. Try different WM6.1 devices, as the user experience is quite different between them.

I've had good experiences with the Motorola q9, some of the HTC devices, and the Palm WM devices, which are particularly non-nerd friendly.

The iPhone situation is currently plague with a couple bugs and it doesn't sync tasks.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
tipptech

Works best with HTC Windows Mobile, followed by Palm Phones, followed by BlackBerry with NotifyLink. Smile

Tipp Technical Solutions, LLC

Kerio Certified Reseller
  •  
rigo

update: last night got mobile 6.1 rom installed on the mogul 6800, fairly straight forward stuff and NO problems with that.

today had to reset all my settings as an upgrade wipes out all priors, but in 5 minutes I had MobilSync (activesync to kms) up and running with mail, contacts and calendar--way cool kerio!!

also installed Remote Desktop and can get to servers w/o any problems--cool too.

so this HTC mogul 6800 is a keeper--at least until the end of the year when the HTC Touch Pro is released to sprint.

looking forward to seeing KMS support HTC, modifying the .ini is ok for now but if it works this well it should be part of official supported devices.

on another note, got one of those jawbone ear bugs, awesome stuff.
  •  
jshaw541

rigo wrote on Mon, 13 October 2008 19:13

update: last night got mobile 6.1 rom installed on the mogul 6800, fairly straight forward stuff and NO problems with that.

today had to reset all my settings as an upgrade wipes out all priors, but in 5 minutes I had MobilSync (activesync to kms) up and running with mail, contacts and calendar--way cool kerio!!

also installed Remote Desktop and can get to servers w/o any problems--cool too.

so this HTC mogul 6800 is a keeper--at least until the end of the year when the HTC Touch Pro is released to sprint.

looking forward to seeing KMS support HTC, modifying the .ini is ok for now but if it works this well it should be part of official supported devices.

on another note, got one of those jawbone ear bugs, awesome stuff.

I would file a Kerio ticket on this. Your Mogul should be supported out of the box. I know of another organization that uses Kerio 6.5 and they have Sprint Moguls (HTC 6800s) deployed and working fine.

The Mogul should be a "supported device", if it's not, there's a bug or malfunction somewhere. Also, its an obvious point, but make sure you're using an official Sprint ROM, or a relatively sane hacked ROM, and not some monstrousity off of XDA-Devs Wink

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
jstrickland

Currently, with Kerio 6.5.2 the activesync for e-mail on iPhones does not properly support attachments or html e-mails. Using IMAP is the current workaround until 6.6 is released.
  •  
jstrickland

I have not used a Windows Mobile 6.1 device on the Kerio server, so I can't vouch for how well it works with Kerio. I briefly had to support some Windows Mobile 5 devices, and they were an absolute nightmare. I also have had to support Palm OS devices. They weren't a nightmare, just a bad dream.

I am currently supporting three iPhones and two Blackberries. Of the two, the iPhones have far and away been the easiest to setup and support. The contacts, e-mails, and calendar work very smoothly as long as they are set up properly. Setup is quite easy between an iPhone and KMS. As has been mentioned, one drawback is the lack of task synching.

If you have a Mac and a MobileMe account, there is an applescript you can run that will actually make public calendars accessible to your iPhone. It basically uses iCal to access the public calendar and copy all events to a private calendar that can be synched with MobileMe. The iPhone then syncs with MobileMe.

The Blackberry comes in a not too distant second. I just started using NotifySync (still in beta) which is a new product being developed by NotifyLink. NotifySync enables the Blackberry to sync contacts, calendars, and e-mails with KMS utilizing active sync. Once NotifySync is set up, it does a good job of keeping all three synched with the Blackberry. Setup can be much more difficult than on the iPhone though.

Hope this helps.
  •  
88fingerslukee

rigo wrote on Fri, 10 October 2008 18:11

wow if you can get the iphones why deal with anything else! over here trying to deal with a mogul 6800 and I am ready to heave it out the window.

I use Windows Mobile (WM5, WM6 and WM6.1) devices on my server and they all work flawlessly (INCLUDING a Mogul 6800!!).

Moto Q
Samsung Ace
HTC-6800 from Bell (same as Mogul)

[Updated on: Wed, 15 October 2008 23:06]

rigo

yep, HTC mogul 6800 is a keeper--will modify .ini to just handle supported devises (0) and try again.

thanks all for the info, great forum = great people.

looks like HTC Touch Pro will be released by sprint, they even have a page to sign up for release day notifications Smile

Previous Topic: incoming e-mail messages blocked by winroute firewall
Next Topic: Kerio Upgrade Process 6.5 <-> 6.6
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 00:59:23 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00495 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.