Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » High Server CPU Load... Solutions?
  •  
taxfree

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I've got a Quad Xeon 2.13 GHz server from hp, running only Kerio Mailserver. There's 2 SATA drives, one 160GB, ond 250GB. All users are using the Offline Connector.

When users start logging on in the morning, when i reach about 10 users, CPU load never goes below 90%. When all 35 users are online, it's 99% cpu load all the time.

Anyone experiencing this too? Anyone have solutions? It's not a disk problem as the average queue length is around 0.2.

Thanks for thinking with me...

Cheers,
Michiel
  •  
My IT Indy

That's whacky. I have 80 users on one of my servers and the CPU utilization hits around 10% at the busy part of the day. Granted it's an 8-core Xeon however I've never seen Kerio take that as much CPU as you're seeing.

I will say that running KMS on the drives that you have there is not optimal and will probably factor into the slowness. In a perfect world I like using raid5,6, or 10 volumes to host the mailstores on.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
taxfree

HoosierMac wrote on Sun, 19 October 2008 01:27

That's whacky. I have 80 users on one of my servers and the CPU utilization hits around 10% at the busy part of the day...

Thanks for replying! Are they all on the offline connector?

Could I be wrong in assuming that the disks are not the problem because the average disk queue is averaging at .2?

Cheers,
Michiel
  •  
rigo

wow, 35 users online on 2 SATA drives--that would surely be a reason to loose sleep at night!

the cpu usage is not normal, not sure what you got going on--any virus software running on the server that does not have directory exemption?

•  
taxfree

We have a very good backup, no need to lose sleep over it Smile

There's no virus scanner on the mailbox, incoming and outgoing mail is filtered by a third party.

The 100% load comes from the kerio mailserver executable, not another program...

Cheers,
Michiel
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Do you have an estimate how many folders each user have in the mailbox (including the public folders). Number of folders has an influence on server load during Kerio Outlook Connector synchronizations.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 October 2008 10:19]

•  
taxfree

Unfortunately they're very folder-minded, so they have around 50-100 folders each, some may have as much as 200.

Are there plans to improve this? I like Kerio Mailserver very much (over 20 installations running <_a.t_> clients), but for this client I will have to find something else if this does get fixed within a reasonable timeframe.

Cheers,
Michiel

[Updated on: Mon, 20 October 2008 11:57]

Previous Topic: user created subfolder missing
Next Topic: spam filter
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 11:44:58 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00494 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.