Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Tested KMS for 3 weeks - will not use it
  •  
martinsch

Send a private message to this user
We tested KMS 5.5.1 for the last 3 weeks and i want to share the results with this forum. Feedback is welcome. Maybe this will change my decision.

What we were looking for:
Mailserver for about 25 users with Outlook 2003 clients; ability to sync emails with mobiles; Standard Workgroup features (sharing calender; etc)

What we have today:
MDaemon - very stable, but in the last years they "invented" many additional add on packages for e.g. antivirus, Outlook-connector and mobile soultions; Setting up Mdaemon with mobiles is very complicated and btw. MDaemon is getting as expensive as Exchange if you need to buy all the differnt modules.

Testresult Kerio:
+ easy to install
+ easy to configure and monitor
+ everything integrated (antivirus, mobile sync)
+ emails stored as single files in filesystem (easy to handle and backup)
+ only one package (price) including Outlook connector

- no way to search in emails (as long as Koff is not used, which is no possible solution with roaming profiles)
- some problems with Outlook connector (sometimes the users get MAPI errors);

Summary:
The missing search functionality is a no-go. My users complained to much about this feature. Searching in this forum ended in the result that this is a known issue but Kerio is not willing to change this, as it can result in too high workload. Even hints on let the administrator decide if he will allow searching are not getting heard at Kerio. Therefor i need to search for another solution. Sorry! I liked the product.

Next steps:
I setup an Zarafa environment. Tests are underway for a week. Looks quite good. Searching works great. Outlook connector seems to be more stable - never got an error.
But setup is much more complicated.

As said before - feedback / discussions are welcome.
  •  
keywerks

Why not trying version 6.5.x or 6.6? Do you test drive a Ford Model T before going to buy a Volvo or Mercedes?

Come on, be serious.

PHPStar - the missing gear in your web engine
Visit http://phpstar.keywerks.de
  •  
martinsch

this was a typo. Of course i run my tests with the latest version (which was 6.5.2). 6.6 came out some days after i started my test.
But afaik the missing search capability is still there. And reading this forum, Kerio does not see that this is a needed functionality.

Believe me, from an admin point of view, KMS is muuuuch easier than Zarafa. I would love to stay with KMS. But my users and boss are not going to accept the missing search functionality.
All other problems (MAPI errors) were minor problems.
  •  
Nixs

Why is KOFF not an option with roaming profiles? We use roaming profiles and KOFF together..?

The location where KOFF stores it's huge database is by default not copied as part of the roaming profile. So if the user does go to another machine and uses KOFF, the e-mails have to download again.

This is ideal for us, as we don't want users copying their 1GB-5GB KOFF database up and down to their profile server every time they log in and out.

If you prefer it the other way, you have options to include that file as part of the roaming profile sync. Move the file or GPO that directory to sync.

Also, with the new 6.6 version of KMS, KOFF and Office 2007 are much quicker in my experience, when compared to 6.5x

Windows Desktop Search 2.6 also enables searching KMS. Newer versions do not, though.
  •  
jshaw541

martinsch wrote on Tue, 28 October 2008 13:04

And reading this forum, Kerio does not see that this is a needed functionality.

The official place to get a Kerio stance is via http://support.kerio.com or a sales rep. This is not an official Kerio support/sales channel, as mentioned somewhere in the stickies.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
pwhodges

jshaw541 wrote on Wed, 29 October 2008 20:38

The official place to get a Kerio stance is via http://support.kerio.com or a sales rep. This is not an official Kerio support/sales channel, as mentioned somewhere in the stickies.

It has not been implemented in five years during which people have regularly complained about it. ISTR it has been explained in this forum that it is felt that performance for searching would be unacceptable because of the use of separate files for messages instead of a mailbox file. Whatever the "official" point of view, the fact is that they have still not implemented it.

Paul
Previous Topic: OSX 10.5.5: No SLL on LDAP what-so-ever!
Next Topic: How to migrate from one computer to another ?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 12:06:24 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00416 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.