Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Move a single domain and users from one Kerio server to another
  •  
bigmountain

Send a private message to this user
All, I think I have this figured out logically, but I wanted to see if anyone has done this and what the outcome was? Basically, I have one server running KMS6.6. I am setting up a second KMS server that will be running KMS6.5.2 for a particular domain for no other reason than some of my hosted clients want to continue using shared folders on their iPhones. I need to move the user accounts from the 6.6 server to the new 6.5.2 server.

What I plan on doing is first having all users of that domain shut down all of their email clients, turn off cell phones and not log into webmail. I will change their mailserver location in my firewall to the new server, so that during the transition the new inbound mail is collected and stored in the firewall until the new server is up and running. Next, I will compress the entire domain's mailstore folder with all user folders in it and copy that to the new server and decompress it to the appropriate directory. Next, and this is where I am somewhat unsure, is to create the domain and users in the admin console as I normally would any new domain and users and let the new KMS server pick up the existing mailstore user folders which would contain all of their messages, personal settings, signatures, etc. Next, I should be able to fire up KMS to test, accept inbound messages, deliver those stored in the firewall and remove the domain/users from the other server. At this point, we reconfigure all of the email clients with the new server domain in their settings and all should be good.

Am I heading down the correct path or is there an easier way? I assume that I won't be having to import any config files since this will be a separate server with a different server license, etc. Or.... is there a way that I can also take a copy of the users.cfg file from the other server, modify it to only include the users of the domain being moved over and then just add the domain in the new Kerio server install? While I have moved my existing KMS from one server to another with no problems, this will be the first time moving a single domain of many to second mail server.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Preferred Kerio Partner and Cloud Solutions Provider - Offering both shared and dedicated Kerio Connect hosting solutions.
Visit us at http://bigmountainmail.com
  •  
bigmountain

Hi Everyone! I just wanted to post an update/answer to my own question from yesterday.

I successfully moved a domain and it's users from one active Kerio server to a second one we setup. The trick is to make sure you remove the properties.fld and index.fld files from all the folders. In Mac, it was easy. I just just navigated to that domains mailstore folder, in the search I typed in properties.fld (or index.fld) and all of them were listed. I deleted all of them. Then when I started up Kerio, it began the process of rebuilding the files. No problems. Also, I managed to keep all of my users settings, passwords, etc. by taking a copy of my other users.cfg file and removing all user entries except for the users of this domain. I merged the data from this file to the new one created with the new server install. Bingo! Now I have all of the same user settings and again, no problems. What I didn't do was copy over any part of the mailserver.cfg file because I figured it would be easier and less time consuming to simply log into the admin console and modify all of the settings manually. This whole process worked extremely well and the customer only ended up with about 10 minutes of downtime and I did not need to shut down my main Kerio server while I migrated those users to the other server.

As for data, I created a compressed archive of the mailstore last night and moved it to the new Kerio server, decompressed it into the appropriate directory and then followed up this afternoon with an "rsync -avE /SourceDir/ user<_a.t_>destserver:/DestDir --update --delete" and that only took about 5-10 seconds. The key here is preparation, making sure that all users (of the migrating domain) are logged out of the original server and that you have some sort of method of stopping new messages to these users from reaching the original server.

Since no one posted any replies to this topic yesterday, I figured that I would go ahead and post my results. Thanks!

Preferred Kerio Partner and Cloud Solutions Provider - Offering both shared and dedicated Kerio Connect hosting solutions.
Visit us at http://bigmountainmail.com
  •  
rigo

hi, I follow almost all your steps except for "rsync -avE /SourceDir/ user<_a.t_>destserver:/DestDir --update --delete" is this linux? what would it be for a win box?

thanks
  •  
TorW

You could use Microsoft's free utility robocopy.exe to achieve the same result, i.e. sync two folders. Alternatively, rsync is available for Win32 too ...
  •  
rigo

so all that is doing is making sure the time stamp of the files are not changed when the files are moved from one domain to another. was not sure if that was all or if it was a function for kms to resinc the directory. I guess kms does resinc but we do not have to worry about that.

thanks for the help
  •  
Alex Moretto

Hi everyone,
i have 3 Kerio Connect (Virtual appliances, different versions )with one domain for server.
I want to migrate domains, users, all configuration to only one Multitenant Kerio Connect Server (virtual appliance 9.2.1)

Thanks for help.
Previous Topic: Multitrop Accaount
Next Topic: Admin account receiving mail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Jan 22 04:51:07 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00856 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.