Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Connect to Apple Open Directory (Looking for some answers)
  •  
cysd.k12

Send a private message to this user
Is anyone on here binding to their Apple OD Master for authentication? If so has it worked well for you?

Also, am I accurate that you cannot run Kerio server on Windows 2003 Server and still bind to the OD Master? The only reason I like the Windows server over the Xserve is the ability to do RAID 1/10 for OS/Mail store.

Thanks.
  •  
generic_penguin

yes, make sure date and time are in sync on the servers if using KDC tickets.
Also default action of a Apple server when making an OD master is to make the LDAP search dc=servername,dc=domainname,dc=com. But depending on the organization you not be using the dc=servername in the LDAP search. Just make sure in Kerio you set it up the same as the OD on the Mac

As for raids. What... The Xserves can do RAID 1 and 0 using the inbuilt software raid (part of disk utility) For Raid 5 and above you need a hardware raid card in the Xserve (This is an option when purchasing them)

•  
My IT Indy

I've had good luck with the internal RAID 5 card on the XServes. They're fast enough for hosting a lot of users.

There are external raid solutions that will give you a LOT of external storage, say 4x1TB esata for under $2k with a raid card.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
cysd.k12

My RAID issue is I wanted to do RAID 1 for the OS and RAID 10 for the mailstore. So I will need 6 drives and the Xserve only has 3, that is my problem in that regard.

Thanks for the info.
  •  
My IT Indy

Yeah, you're not pulling that off with 3 drives. I would take a look at some SuperMicro resellers as they make great rackmounted servers.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
cysd.k12

If I run the mailserver on a non-apple OS will I be able to bind to the OD Master?

I am open to Win 2003 or Suse in lieu of OSX.
  •  
My IT Indy

Yeah, you can bind. Just make sure DNS is bulletproof and the person's first shortname in WGM is what you want their email address to be.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
cysd.k12

•  
stevvot

HoosierMac wrote on Sun, 02 November 2008 08:19

Yeah, you can bind. Just make sure DNS is bulletproof and the person's first shortname in WGM is what you want their email address to be.

The only problem with this is that we want their email address to be firstname.lastname<_a.t_>ourdomain.com, and Open Directory does not allow the first shorname to have a period in it. Therefore, we have to add our preferred email as an additional shortname, but then the Open Directory Extension can't pull the username over to Kerio.

We have to have the usernames entered in both Open Directory and Kerio separately, though we can still use Apple Password Server to have the passwords pulled into Kerio from their Open Directory usernames.

Would love if Kerio would allow you to sync accounts based on any of the available shortnames in Open Directory, as that would solve our problem.
Previous Topic: Block POP3/SMTP/HTTP/IMAP access from live IP for some users
Next Topic: IMAP Sync Tool wanted
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 04:08:52 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00435 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.