Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » searching contact notes in the web interface?
  •  
bioniccat

Send a private message to this user
This may be a remedial question that I'm just too dumb to figure out, but is there a way to search the contact notes field (or categories) via the web interface? From what I can tell, there's no way to do an advanced search to look for anything other than name and company. Am I just being daft or do we just have to rely on (in my case) Entourage or Address Book for this?

Thanks,
Stephen

:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|
Bionic Cat
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
http://bioniccat.com
  •  
p0ddie

Hi,

bit late, but same problem here. ( http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=58563&S =5bd8842fe8cf4750cbfd5de7787c4aa0#msg_58563) however I don't even get the search of other fields then email and name to work, how did you do that? any special ldap entries? do you use Kerio's ldap or os x server's ldap?
  •  
bioniccat

Hi P0ddie,

I can't do any kind of advanced search via the web interface. If I want to do anything along those lines, I have to use Entourage or Address Book. Using any other type of LDAP search, I also can't do any kind of advanced search. It appears to only query the name and email address as you noted. Grrr!

Cheers,
Stephen

Bionic Cat
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

LDAP access to contact is designed for email clients which use LDAP lookups for auto-completing email addresses. Therefore, it searches in basic contact fields used by email clients (fullname, email, company etc.).

If you need to enhance LDAP search capabilities, let us now and place a request via our technical support (http://support.kerio.com). Thank you.
  •  
bioniccat

Makes sense about LDAP (even though it would be nice if it were more flexible), but how 'bout the web interface? Anyway to do anything more than a basic search in it or is it just a front end for the LDAP search and not really searching the address book as Entourage or Outlook would?

Cheers,
Stephen

Bionic Cat
  •  
p0ddie

If you need to enhance LDAP search capabilities, let us now and place a request via our technical support

Aaah yes, the possibilities would be endless! Let me give you some reasons why this would be great:

1. I guess the majority of KMS run on a smaller server machine without ldap, thus relying on the KMS LDAP. Half of my clients run KMS on a OS X machine that has no OS X server software (either because they don't need an OS X Server or because they set up KMS on a separate machine or in a VM to have it in a DMZ)

2. getting search sesults for fields other than mail and name would enhance the user experience and make KMS a fully featured shared address book application (I know of some people that would use KMS for this feature alone)

3. easy sync of many contacts with phone numbers on mobile devices! A new employee starts in my company, I just hook up his iPhone with ActiveSync and he has all phone numbers of his co-workers and all other relevant business contacts or even the complete customer base (I would be happy to have my 10.000+ addresses with me on my phone)

4. hook up VOIP PBX systems to the KMS LDAP. I would have my assistant (not that I have one) enter the business card I just collected from my newly aquired customer to the KMS LDAP address book and seconds later, my sales departement could send a quote via mail or fax and I can have my key account manager call him from his VOIP phone right away because he is already in the phone book.

So what I'm trying to say here: There must be at least infinite more reasons to implement a full version of OpenLDAP Wink

I will make sure to send a request to tech support.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Well, my point was that LDAP is used only by email clients. All other clients (including Apple AddressBook, Outlook with KOFF etc.) use another methods for accessing or syncing the contact data. Therefore OpenLDAP is not a solution. It can help only when you use LDAP client instead of normal groupware client.
  •  
bioniccat

Still wondering whether or not anything but basic info can be searched via the web interface. We really need to be able to search the notes field or even the categories. Any way to do this?

Thanks,
Stephen

Bionic Cat
  •  
p0ddie

Spotlight search on a 10.5 server *duck* Rolling Eyes
  •  
p0ddie

Well, my point was that LDAP is used only by email clients

My point is: why restrict it to mail users only? I am quite sure most OS X users use the ldap backend of either os x server or KMS to sync their address book. What else would they use? Apple Address book uses LDAP, just as Outlook - or am I wrong here?
  •  
jh@nixi.com

Any news about this matter? Has any newer version of the mail server been enriched with better LDAP support? I need to search all telephone fields.

Best regards,

Jonathan
Previous Topic: blackholes.us is dead?!
Next Topic: Prevent Resource Calendars from sending email
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 04:46:42 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00511 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.