Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Where is profilecreator.exe?
  •  
TorW

Send a private message to this user
According to the manual chapter 33.1 ( http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/sect-koff.html#tab-profil ecreator), User Profile Creator (profilecreator.exe) is supposed to be installed alongside KOFF. I downloaded and installed KOFF 6.6.0 patch 1 (kerio-koc-6.6.0-7007-win32.exe), but the User Profile Creator is nowhere to be found.

Did I miss anything?

The Profile Creator would help tremendously in scripting the first startup of Outlook after migrating 100 users from Exchange to KMS.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 November 2008 01:47]

•  
TorW

I have submitted a ticket to Kerio Support regarding this issue. Right now I'm completely lost on how to deploy a large number of Outlook/KOC clients without guiding each and every user through the KOC wizard.

What I want to do is create a PRF file and launch it during the first user logon. Alas, the pertinent KOC info for the customised PRF file is nowhere to be found.

I'm using Windows Server 2003 Std x64 with Outlook 2007 SP1, by the way.
  •  
rinzwind

It should be in C:\Program Files\Kerio\Outlook Connector (Offline Edition)

You can start the configuration by downloading the batchfile from https://[mailserver]/setup/koc

It works good.

Example for login script:

ProfileCreator.exe /profile=Kerio /host=kms.domain /port=443 /user=user<_a.t_>domain /rename /offline

What could be improved is that the user shouldn't get an error because the password isn't entered yet.
  •  
TorW

rinzwind wrote on Wed, 12 November 2008 15:39

It should be in C:\Program Files\Kerio\Outlook Connector (Offline Edition)

Well, it isn't. Is it even included in the KOFF that is available n Kerio's web pages, or do I have to fetch a special KOFF from the mail server?

rinzwind wrote on Wed, 12 November 2008 15:39

You can start the configuration by downloading the batchfile from https://[mailserver]/setup/koc

That URL does not work. Kerio's docs says to use /integration, but that doesn't work either. When I roam around in the file system on the server, I see a file named " /opt/kerio/mailserver/webmail/download/KMS.KOC-6-5-2-T-6-426 .tgz ". It's 5,945,728 bytes. I'm going to get that file from the server and see if it makes any difference.

I should probably mention that we use KMS 6.5.2 on Red Hat Linux.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 November 2008 16:23]

•  
TorW

Update:

I downloaded these two files from the KMS 6.5.2 mail server:

KMS.KOC-6-5-2-T-6-426.tgz
KMS.KOFF-6-5-2-T-6-426.tgz

None of them had the User Profile Creator/profilecreator.exe inside. I assume it is because it is a 6.6.0 feature, in which case I'm left with upgrading to 6.6.0 or spend a lot of time on the phone guiding the users through initial KOC setup. Yes, we want KOC since all the users are migrating to a Windows 2003 x64 Terminal Server. KOFF is overkill in such a scenario, in my opinion.

Oh, and as mentioned above, KOFF 6.6.0 on Kerio's download pages doesn't have the mytchical User Profile Creator either. My last chance is to have someone send me the KOFF stored on a 6.6.0 KMS so I can have a look inside, but it's likely a long shot.

Why must this stuff be so hard to do? Why does it appear impossible to automatically mass deploy Outlook clients with Kerio Outlook Connector?
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

I think you need to upgrade to 6.6 to have the profile creator (as far as i know)
  •  
rinzwind

The integration page is indeed a new feature of 6.6 as is the createprofile.exe .
  •  
TorW

Ok, I see, but what I actually wanted to do was to automate deployment of Outlook 2007 with KOC. I originally thought profilecreator.exe could help me script it. I don't want to spend precious helpdesk time guiding several dozen users through the initial KOC wizard. Deployment of these things should just work. I have in the past done it with PRF files (profile templates) when Outlook talked to an Exchange Server, but the info which needs to go into a PRF file in this case is undocumented.

I have asked support to supply me with the HKCU registry settings which KOC sets upon installation, and if/when it's supplied I'm going to make myself a PRF file from scratch. Goodbye profit.

Crossing my fingers ...

[Updated on: Wed, 12 November 2008 17:13]

•  
rinzwind

You can install KOCO without configuration and user input (silent setup). You can then use createprofile.exe to create the profile in a logon script using %username% for example. No need for prf files.
  •  
TorW

rinzwind wrote on Wed, 12 November 2008 18:01

You can install KOCO without configuration and user input (silent setup). You can then use createprofile.exe to create the profile in a logon script using %username% for example. No need for prf files.

Did you mean Kerio's "profilecreator.exe" or did you mean another kind of profile creator?

[Updated on: Wed, 12 November 2008 18:08]

•  
TorW

Update: either I'm no good at explaining myself, or Kerio Support didn't understand what I am trying to accomplish. The long and short of it: Kerio's official stance is that automatic mass deployment of KOC just isn't possible unless you have a seriously high-bandwidth sneakernet Evil or Very Mad

So much for "eating into the Exchange market".
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

The only thing you need the bandwidth for, is the initial synchronization.

you can try to deploy KOFF to a select number of users at a time to save bandwidth, this can be done with active directory (as far as I know)

On the other hand, if you don't mind you have slow sync in the beginning you can just deploy everything at once.

But you will need the 6.6 mailserver to do this all

Good luck
  •  
TorW

RHarmsen.nl wrote on Wed, 12 November 2008 21:21

The only thing you need the bandwidth for, is the initial synchronization.

Well, don't underestimate the bandwidth of a good old sneakernet Laughing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakernet
  •  
Petr Silar (Kerio)

TorW,
There is step-by-step section in our product help about automatic deploying of Kerio Outlook Connector (Offline Edition) using Active Directory: http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/sect-koff.html#sect-koffa utoinstall
You need Kerio MailServer 6.6, of course.
  •  
TorW

Thanks, but I was referring to that very link in my original post. I don't need to deploy the software since it's on a terminal server. I wanted to automate the creation of profiles when the user logged in for the first time, but it was supposedly not possible.

But anyway, we are starting the rollout/conversion in a few hours and we have it covered.

If Kerio is serious about Exchange converts, please look into profile rollout issues. Or at least document the registry settings so we can piece together an Outlook PRF file and mass-create the Outlook MAPI profiles ourselves.

And last but not least: I have not yet gotten a decent answer about where the mysterious profilecreator.exe is. Neither here nor from opening a support ticket (see my previous posts in this thread). Does it exist? I have little time to play games and try to understand Kerios point of view with regard to version numbers and docs that are ahead of the actual product. I have customers and a 24 hr day like everyone else.

Sorry to be so rash, but in this particular case, Kerio was of absolutely no help.
Previous Topic: Import Entourage messages
Next Topic: Kerio MailServer 6.6.1 released
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 05:00:47 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00551 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.