Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Will Kerio Ever Work With Evolution?
  •  
ptireland

Send a private message to this user
I've been wanting to switch over from a windows client to a linux one for a long time, and my main sticking point is that I must have native support for groupware. In this case, KMS.

I am addicted to Microsoft Outlook 2007, so I want to find something in Linux that has the same look, feel, and groupware capabilities as Outlook.

From the research I've done, there is only one email/groupware client for Linux that can pull this off, and it's Evolution.

I've been reading articles on here that were posted as long as 2 years ago begging for Evolution support. Does anyone know if Kerio is ever going to address this issue, or do they consider it dead?

I think this would make Kerio very popular among Linux users if they pull it off. There are a number of other companies trying to go for the linux groupware market right now including Novell, Open-Xchange, Kolab, egroupware, opengroupware, etc.

I think Kerio has a head start on these people and if they could just work out the bugs between the Kerio server and the Evolution client, I'm betting they'd have a real winner. Windows Vista has convinced many people to move to either Mac or Linux. Kerio has been spending time to work well with Entourage, I think it would benefit them to spend an equal amount of time on Evolution.

If someone working for Kerio reads this message, please send me an email to let me know if this is something Kerio is working on, or if it's something they just aren't interested in.
  •  
keriofan

Another idea: Try out Thunderbird and Lightning Wink

Kerio Mailserver 6.6.0 Patch 1 on CentOS 5.2 Linux Server
  •  
ptireland

There are plenty of other clients, but I am trying to use a client that looks and feels like Outlook and connects to Kerio as though it were connecting to Exchange in exactly the same way Entourage does.

Rather than piecing together 2 or 3 products to do different things, I'd like to have Kerio work with Evolution natively.

I'd like the experience to be exactly as though I were using Outlook and KOF or Exchange. One stop shopping with a similar interface, where you can check the calendars, tasks, mail, contacts, etc.

The programmers at Kerio are very good and Evolution is a great client. If Evolution can be made to integrate with Exchange, I'm sure Kerio can make it work with their product too. They just need to point some of their great programmers in that direction. I think the development would pay for itself because many people who wouldn't buy Kerio before would consider it.
  •  
marook

And when did you last test it?

What's the bugs, if it's still not working?

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
michal.szczesny

We've just upgraded the Kerio Mail server to version 6. We're a company that employs over 30 people at the moment.

Those lucky 40% of employees who run Win and Mac are benefiting from fantastic Exchange feature.

Unfortunately - we're a web app software house and 60% of our employees run various flavours of Linux with... Evolution. We cannot use it at the moment which is very frustrating, especially as the Evolution itself does support Exchange - why does Kerio not work with it then?

I will appreciate if anyone from Kerio will let us know if there are any plans of fixing the issue.
  •  
ptireland

I've tested it as recently as version 6.52

The goal is when you are creating the account in evolution, to choose "Exchange" as the server type, and then enter your Kerio server. If that can't be done, then some sort of connector for Kerio that integrates with Evolution in the same way KOFF integrates with Outlook and allows you to have all of the groupware functionality.

When you try to choose Exchange as the server type, authentication always fails.

I don't want to resort to choosing MAPI or POP as the email type because I want the full use of things like shared calendars, contacts, task lists, etc.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 November 2008 20:26]

•  
sonofcolin

Add your name to the feature request list for Evolution support by submitting a ticket.

However, I doubt it will get added as there are already viable alternatives (Webmail and Thunderbird/lightning) and Kerio has other priorities such as fixing the current supported features Wink
  •  
ptireland

It's a shame that Kerio would consider Thunderbird/Lightning to be even in the same league as Evolution, let alone a viable alternative, and webmail is more like a resource you use when you aren't near your own computer, or a real email client.

It's like saying, "Hey, this Ferrari is gassed up and it works great, but we aren't going to give you the key. Just use this Schwinn instead. It will still get you there."

I've seen threads in here 2 or 3 years old with people begging for Evolution support. I see it as a huge untapped market for Kerio. They would be fools not to take advantage of it.

What are the 3 most popular client operating systems on earth and what is the most popular email client for each?

1. Windows - Microsoft Outlook

2. Mac OSX - Mac Mail and Entourage

3. Linux - Evolution

Kerio has gone to the trouble to make the server side work with all three (though with 64-bit windows servers they need to fix the GUI part that integrates with AD), but has only done work on 2 of the most popular clients.

Why would Kerio work so hard to make KMS install on all 3 platforms, but only make it work with the most popular client on 2 of them? It's like they did half of the work on the Linux stuff, and then quit.

I've already requested a new feature (automatic account pruning for accounts without activity for a chosen period of time with the option to exempt individual accounts from this if you choose.

•  
marook

ptireland wrote on Thu, 13 November 2008 20:47

It's a shame that Kerio would consider Thunderbird/Lightning to be even in the same league as Evolution, let alone a viable alternative, and webmail is more like a resource you use when you aren't near your own computer, or a real email client.

Why would Kerio work so hard to make KMS install on all 3 platforms, but only make it work with the most popular client on 2 of them? It's like they did half of the work on the Linux stuff, and then quit.

Well, maybe... because...... Linux is mostly seen as a Server platform?
I know a lot of (geeky?) people like to use Linux as workstations, but a lot of people will argue that it's not..

And if Evolution uses MAPI, they would need to make a MAPI plugin for it.
Does Evolution work fine with IMAP etc?

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
ptireland

Evolution does work with IMAP. It works with Exchange. But if you choose "Exchange" as the account type and point to the Kerio server, it will not authenticate
  •  
marook

Well, as I tried to point out.

Maybe Evolution actually does MAPI when you select Exchange. And Kerio does Not support MAPI - it does IMAP!

That's why they need to make a MAPI connector for Outlook!

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
ptireland

I'm sorry, I thought my last post corrected my mistake. Evolution does not do MAPI, it does IMAP. I get a bit dyslexic with all the acronyms floating around.

Although, it turns out that there is a project under way to make a MAPI connector for Evolution.

http://blogs.gnome.org/sragavan/2008/01/21/evolution-mapi-ex change-2007-preview/

Evolution is supposed to be a client for all mail servers. It works Exchange (IMAP), POP mail, etc.

This is from Novell (who owns Evolution)

Novell Evolution 2.0 includes a number of new features aimed at improving user productivity and collaboration, such as built-in spam filtering, S/MIME and PGP security certificate management, and tight integration with the Linux desktop and Gaim instant messaging client. Evolution supports key data exchange and communications standards, such as IMAP, POP, SMTP, LDAP and iCalendar, and features vFolders, threaded e-mail view, in-line text editing and synchronization with Palm* and PocketPC handheld devices.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 November 2008 21:22]

•  
sonofcolin

Quote:

I'm sorry, I thought my last post corrected my mistake. Evolution does not do MAPI, it does IMAP. I get a bit dyslexic with all the acronyms floating around.

AFAIK, Evolution always had a MAPI connector so that it could work with Exchange. The reason Evolution doesn't work with Kerio is because when you select the exchange connection, it's looking for a MAPI connection on an Exchange server which KMS doesn't do.

What does Evolution offer that Webmail doesn't?
  •  
ptireland

What does Outlook offer that webmail doesn't. Pretty much the same answer. I feel much more comfortable working with outlook than with webmail. I like the Calendar tools, contacts, tasks (very important), drag & drop functionality, etc.

Kerio's webmail is very good and I use it in a pinch when I need a quick and dirty way to check my email. But when I'm doing my day-to-day work, I'll take Outlook a thousand times out of a thousand over webmail, and most other people are with me on that.

I don't think I'm asking for a whole lot. If Evolution can connect to Exchange, it shouldn't take too much work for Kerio to make a connector, or other tweaks to make it connect to Kerio too.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 November 2008 21:52]

sonofcolin

Quote:

What does Outlook offer that webmail doesn't.

That wasn't the question Smile
Quote:

I feel much more comfortable working with outlook than with webmail.

Ok
Quote:

I like the Calendar tools, contacts, tasks (very important), drag & drop functionality, etc.

All provided in webmail.
Previous Topic: Config advice
Next Topic: Number of Users
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 12:17:51 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00563 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.