Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » post recovery synchierarchy issue on one mailbox
  •  
jakeharrop

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I'm a consultant that's been called in to resolve a clients mail problems; they had no anti virus on their mailserver server and it had become infested by the look of it. We had a nightmare with the ISP blacklisting them and blocking all traffic on port 25 etc.

Anyway, after we got rid of the viruses I noticed a lot of properties.fld errors in the logs (cannot create a file when that file already exists), so I went through and manually renamed all the affected files and let the system rebuild them. I think this happened because the virus dropped the partiton table and when it was resurrected, some permisions went a bit screwy.

At this point all seemed pretty much ok, apart from one mailbox which was still corrupted, though it would open - outlook just didn't show all the mail in it. Unfortunately one of the employees then took it upon himself to deal with it without telling me what he was doing.

It appears that this user's outlook had been configured to pull from kerio via POP3, but never to remove messages from the server, so as soon as he installed KOFF it pulled through several thousand old messages. I guess he panicked at this point and just started deleting stuff and creating new mail profiles in outlook - just allsorts.

I finally got my hands on the laptop in question on friday, created a new account in Kerio and deleted the old one, leaving the mailstore in place. I created a new mail profile using KOFF and pointed it at the server, did the initial sync and got the welcome to kerio mail - so far so good.

I then came out of outlook and manually copied the inbox and subfolders from the old mailstore into the new one, backed up the fld files in the inbox and let kerio generate new ones.

sanity check via webmail showed all working fine - correct number of emails and subfolders etc.

However, now whenever the user opens outlook, it pauses for about 60 secs then bombs out with a synchierarchy error.

I've done the above (create new mailbox and import old email etc) twice and as soon as I import old email I get the same error. Unfortunately I can't just create a new mailbox and then pass the old mailstore over to it during the deletion of the old one, as I need to be more selective.

can anyone suggest either a way to resolve the synchierarchy message, or the correct way to import mail from an old mailstore ?

BTW its kerio 6.6.0 patch 1

Thanks,

jake
  •  
winkelman

jakeharrop wrote on Mon, 17 November 2008 11:52

I then came out of outlook and manually copied the inbox and subfolders from the old mailstore into the new one, backed up the fld files in the inbox and let kerio generate new ones.

sanity check via webmail showed all working fine - correct number of emails and subfolders etc.

Why would you need to copy anything 'old' into the new one? You say everything is fine when checked in Webmail, which means everything is fine on the server. I would say: throw away everything and anything on the client's PC, start out fresh with a new KOFF/KOC and possibly even Outlook installation and configuration and it will sync with the 'fine' server data. No need to then afterwards import anything old. No?
  •  
jakeharrop

Thanks for the advice, but maybe I didn't make myself clear:

old mailbox = corrupt and not really working properly

so I created a new mailbox and deleted the old account within kerio, but left the mailstore in place from the old account.

I have to now populate the new mailbox with uncorrupt emails, and I know that everything newer than 15th October is ok, so I've cut everything from before then.

As soon as I copy these emails into the new, uncorrupt but empty mailbox, I get the hierarchy error. I've done it twice - new mail profile etc, and get the same error. however, at the same time webmail works ok.

I've got a temp workaround by installing the online connector, and that seems to be working without the synchierarchy error, but I'd still like to know the solution, if there is one.

Thanks

jake
  •  
winkelman

So you have a user where Webmail works and looks fine, KOC works and looks fine, only KOFF gives the hierarchy error. Right?

Sorry, can't give you any advice about this, wouldn't know. Anyone else?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

And probably some other features don't work properly as well (like ActiveSync or CalDAV) after applying this hack.

First of all, message store is not supposed to be modified by dirty actions like moving or copying files. If you do so please count with similar consequences as described in previous posts. Do it only when explicitly recommended by technical support.

In your case, you need to do following to fix the issue:
1. Stop KMS - this is a MUST
2. copy requested files/directories to the account mailbox
3. rename all index.fld files in the account to index.bad
4. delete folder GUID (first line) in all status.fld files in the mailbox
5. delete the __keriomapi_STORE directory
6. remove Outlook profile from the client
7. start KMS
8. create new profile in Outlook

In any case some settings will be lost after this (folder sharing, some Outlook views etc.).

Warning: This is not a general guide. I highly advise others to not manipulate with the data.
Previous Topic: DomainKeys
Next Topic: Outlook 2007 does not show some e-mails
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 18:02:56 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00418 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.