Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Solution for hosting providers?
  •  
coolmike

Send a private message to this user
Hi

We are a hosting company and searching a groupware solution, which we could offer to our customers.

So far we tested zimbra, zarafa, scalix and open-exchange. Now we also found kerio.

My first question, is it possible to use it in hosting envoirment and sell it to different customers? Or is it just made for one customer which can have different mail accounts?

What about the outlook and mobile phone synchronisation. How well is this working?

Maybe someone else did the comparisation with the above products, which would you recommend or where do you see the benefits with Kerio?

Thanks
Michael
  •  
gbrown100

I was just looking at the possibility of hosting a Kerio server. Whilst Kerio does support multiple domain names, regarding the web access there is currently no way to have more than one active primary domain name. This means that your webmail can only have one SSL certificate against it.

i.e.
webmail.mydomain1.co.uk will be fine (Primary Domain)
webmail.mydomain2.co.uk will still be advertising mydomain1.co.uk's security certificate and so browsers will show as invalid

The only way I could think of getting round this was to have your own domain name for the webaccess such as xyzhosting.co.uk as the primary domain and then set up your customers with their own domain as secondary domains. They still ahve to always connect to your domain name for webmail.

I have had no problems with an iPhone, an HTC Touch Diamond and an HTC Tytn II but I am not a prolific user of mobile devices. I would say that you need to get a decent certificate that you are sure is supported by those devices. I got a cheap certificate but I have had to import the certificate authority into the windows mobile devices...

The last thing is that I have no idea how much bandwidth the KOFF connector will use. I really need to do some testing but maybe someone here already knows.

Graham
  •  
coolmike

Hi Graham

Thanks for the information. Where do you see the advantage of Kerio compared to Zimbra, Scalix and Open-Exchange?

I installed all of them, Kerio was for sure the most easiest one to install. Also for the user it is easy to use, but it has never the features which for example zimbra is offering. But most probably the endusers don't need this feature and we just need to give more support because of features like this.

I also asked Kerio also about the pricing model for hosting providers, but did not get an answer so far. I sent mails to all of the companies above, and was surprised how bad the response time is. Do you have also this experience or did you have more luck with pricing?

Michael
  •  
My IT Indy

I host several Kerio servers. I won't give *too* much info as this is a revenue stream for my company and I've spent years learning the *how* part of this.

It does work, if you understand the limitations to the management and inform clients of this ahead of time. If you go to Kerio's website you can find links to various providers (myself included) and you can get general pricing info for what companies charge.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
coolmike

Thanks for the information. Regarding the pricing I saw how much is your price. Do you pay the normal price for the kerio licenses or do you get a better price as a hoster?
  •  
My IT Indy

Since I am a reseller I pay a reseller's price.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
ikheetleon

The https virtual domain stuff can be solved. Just install a reverse proxy (bluecoat/apache) with several external IP addresses/listeners. Make a forward host to the http frontend of kerio mailserver. That way you let the customer connect with it's own domain name to kerio. They will always have to type the complete emailadress to login I guess... but it solves the https certificate problem.

The only disadvantage I've discovered in this setup that active connections seem to apear from the reverse proxy instead of the actual internet ipadres of the client.

Regards,

Leon
  •  
gbrown100

I did give this a go using just apache's reverse proxy and had no joy, I think I need to revisit it. Has been a while since I was playing with the proxy functions of Apache properly and probably just stuffed up the config file. Of course, if anyone fancies volunteering a .conf file Wink

As regards to features of other programs, tbh I came at this from a different direction. I already installed Kerio for some clients and then thought for a couple of companies too small to want their own system I could set them up a reasonable hosted environment.

Basically I never did do a comparison of features for other apps so cannot help you there.

As regards callback, I must admit I always use the phone to contact sales as I like to get a feel for their manner on the phone. I had great help from their sales team this way and once initial contact was made email responses were good also.

Graham

[Updated on: Wed, 19 November 2008 09:19]

Previous Topic: KOFF Contacts
Next Topic: Import Mailling list users, CSV
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 00:23:41 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00477 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.