Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Very slow install on Intel X Serve
  •  
cwachs

Send a private message to this user
I'm having a significant problem on a new install I'm hoping someone else has seen.

I had been running Kerio on a Apple G4 X Serve 1Ghz w/ 1.25 GB RAM. It was getting a little slow.

I installed Kerio and moved the data to an Apple Intel 2 x 2Ghz dual core X Serve w/ 4 GB RAM.

I can swear things are running slower on this new machine. For example, I upgraded yesterday from 6.0 to 6.1 on both servers (the old one is still active as a test server). The install on the G4 took 4 minutes and does not require a reboot. The install on the Intel X Serve took 25 minutes and requires a reboot (see more info below). Apache is also running on a different IP on the Intel server but it is only hosting a couple very inactive sites.

Processor utilization on the G4 during the Kerio upgrade was around 60%.
Processor utilization in the Intel X Serve during the upgrade was around 2%.

Both servers are running OS X 10.4.11

The last bit of info: Whenever I run a Kerio upgrade on the Intel machine, it not only takes a long time but does not restart the mail server when it is done. Trying to re-start the mail server from the preference pane fails with an error. I then reboot the server. It comes back up and Kerio starts up but NO other services begin (web, ARD, SSH, webmin, anything). I have to power down and then power up the server to get everything to come alive after each Kerio install. If I simply reboot a machine (without any Kerio installs), it comes back to life fine. It only has an issue following a Kerio install.

Anyone else seen issues like these on Intel X Serves?? Have any ideas on the slowness of Kerio on an Intel X Serve?

•  
My IT Indy

I have an Intel XServe an have not seen any slowness issues at all. In fact, if I didn't know KMS was running on it I wouldn't be able to tell by the CPU utilization as it averages maybe 1-2% with over 100 users on it.

I would check the hard drive to see if it's having problems.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
cwachs

Hard drive is a RAID and it checks out ok. Consul messages have no insight. Annoying.
  •  
My IT Indy

Is it the internal raid card? I have that exact setup and have never seen that.

One more thing, did you install it right after creating the raid array? If so, that would explain the slowness as the raid is writing parity. A regular OS X Server install on the raid array can take 30-40 minutes whereas the same install when the array is writing parity will take 2-3 hours.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
cwachs

Software RAID with Disk Utility. Server has been running for over a year on this RAID and it's a level 1 RAID so they are just mirrored. I'm more concerned with the part where the mail server wont restart after a Kerio upgrade or install without a power down and power up reboot (a simple reboot does not work right after a Kerio install).

-----------
Server installation:
Kerio Connect 7.1
OS X Server 10.5.8
Apple G4 X Serve
  •  
My IT Indy

Yeah, I'm guessing there's an issue with the software raid that's affecting the filesystem.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
anthony.somerset

i would reccommend a hardware raid over software raid anytime...

software raid really struggles when you have high disk activity.

i really cant understand why they invented software raid...

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
Previous Topic: Mail For Exchange
Next Topic: McAfee Scan Atachements
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 09:02:27 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00485 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.