Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Shared folders not present on mobile
  •  
Bikermouse

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I'm using Kerio 6.6.1 to sync/push my email to a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone.

This works fine, except for 1 thing: I can't "subscribe" to any shared folders on my mobile: they simply don't show up in the folder tree (and can't be seen or added with menu/tools/"manage folders" on the windows mobile phone).

It's not a problem with access rights because the shared folders do show up when accessing my mail with the webmail client or with Outlook (KOF).

I have done resets and reinstalled the mail account on my mobile with no result.

Anyone suggestions how to solve this?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

ActiveSync devices (including Widnows Mobile) do not support shared or public folders. The devices and the protocol is designed to work only with private user folders.
  •  
Bikermouse

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Mon, 05 January 2009 16:28

ActiveSync devices (including Widnows Mobile) do not support shared or public folders. The devices and the protocol is designed to work only with private user folders.

Duh? I've had this working with Kerio 6.5(with a WM 6.0 mobile)!

With a shared folder I mean: a folder from another user that has given me read/write access on one or more of his/her folders.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Bikermouse wrote on Mon, 05 January 2009 16:48

With a shared folder I mean: a folder from another user that has given me read/write access on one or more of his/her folders.

Yes, but it was a workaround for missing WM and ActiveSync capabilities. We had to prune it away because it did not work properly and reliably. Our messaging solution is supposed to be stable and secure which can't include hacks and workarounds for lack of features in other devices.
  •  
eRJe

So how do I now read my 2nd email postbox? I haven't found a way to setup more then one exchange accounts on my WM6 device.
  •  
TorW

By using Webmail mini? Just connect to the regular KMS webmail with your Windows Mobile thingy, and KMS will automatically give you a nice, usable mail client in the browser window.

Personally, I dislike the syncing stuff on any platform or device. It's a hassle to set up and a pain to support, makes users whinge and squirm when it breaks and is generally too expensive in terms of support man-hours. There's simply too many buts, ifs, patches and hidden little knobs that the various manufacturers decided to throw into the mix. The users doesn't really know how it works, and neither does our support guys.

Webmail is always there, needs no server config, uses no middleware, supports whatever the server supports, and all new phones has client side software to use it.

Just my two cents Wink
  •  
Bikermouse

eRJe wrote on Tue, 17 March 2009 22:14

So how do I now read my 2nd email postbox? I haven't found a way to setup more then one exchange accounts on my WM6 device.

I use only 1 (exchange) account which receives mail for all my email-addresses but have added additional POP3 or IMAP accounts in Outlook and on my mobile device to enable sending mail with different "aliases".

I beleive that this configuration is not supported by Kerio but that is the only way because Kerio does not support aliassing.
  •  
eRJe

I don't have any problem with the syncing stuff? I have been using it with my last 3 WM devices and partically with my current WM6 I can say it works great!

I find it easy to setup, easy to use and to downloads the messages doesn't create a lot of overhead compared to the webmail application. It's fast and simple!

Anyway up to the last update I was also able to download the shared folders. So all I had to do was to link my different mailboxes with the shared folder option to read all my mail with my WM6 device. Unfortunately that stopped working...

Thanks for replying!

Robbert
  •  
anthony.somerset

to add a second box you could use the imap side of things as i assume you dont need the calendar and contact sync side of the second box?

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
  •  
davidjdean

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Mon, 05 January 2009 17:16

Bikermouse wrote on Mon, 05 January 2009 16:48

Yes, but it was a workaround for missing WM and ActiveSync capabilities. We had to prune it away because it did not work properly and reliably. Our messaging solution is supposed to be stable and secure which can't include hacks and workarounds for lack of features in other devices.

We are looking at moving our customers from Zimbra to Kerio but the problem with seeing shared and Pulic Folders from mobile devices will be a show stopper for some of our customers.

I don't realy understand your reply.. If Zimbra can provide shared and public folders on Mobiles why can't Kerio ???

Zimbra put all folders into the main tree instead of seperate trees for each user and Public. This would seem to be a more sensible aproach.

Thanks

David
  •  
anthony.somerset

the problem is most users wont want to synnchronise that extra amount of data on the mobile devices purely because of connection speeds and battery life.

the original implementations of activesync which most people use was designed in such a way to make the process as efficient as possible for mobile device users so that they dont have to struggle with slow 3g/edge/gprs etc connections and so that it maximises there battery life

i can bet my life that if people had shared calendars and public folders on there phone they would be complaining about poor battery life, i mean some of my guys do already and we dont have any shared solution like zimbra's method running

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
  •  
davidjdean

Hi Anthony

IMO in most cases having extra contacts and calenders will have little effect on speed or battery life.

Activesync works on changes and contacts and calender events tend not to change so often. It is a busy email account that change constantly and are likly to cause speed/battery life problem.

On the iphone you can select only to show one calender or all calenders and one phone book or all phone books. So users would have control if speed or battery life was an issue.

Having trawled the user group it looks like a number of people would like this facility.

I contacted Kerio Support with a feature request (according to the documentation the correct way to move forward). They advised that they already had a request for this function on file and that my details have been added to the request.

If anybody else considers this an important missing feature please send a feature request to Kerio Support. This should move it up the list.

Thanks

David
  •  
mail4me

Submitted feature ticket today. This feature is really required for us, because we sync about 4 mailboxes to a single mobile device (hotline-Support).

There is no way to get this working on a mobile device with several imap folders. The memory consumption would be smaller with active sync support anyway. Had no problems so far with the older versions of Kerio supporting that feature.

Would be great to include that again. Perhaps the admin user can enable this feature with a checkbox in the administration panel. Doing it that way the "normal" active sync would be standard and the protocol would not be overloaded for every end-user.
Previous Topic: Major Calendar Issue
Next Topic: Kerio and internet problem
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Sep 25 15:12:25 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00496 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.