Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Performance of large mailbox
  •  
Nixs

Send a private message to this user
I had a service go hay-wire over the weekend. A false positive in my antivirus software generated nearly a million e-mail alerts.

I've disabled the e-mail alerts and KMS is now set to prohibit more than so many e-mails per hour from clients.

But my mailstore is still unusable. I tried deleting the e-mails, but IMAP has taken over 48 hours now to delete these.

I can't even launch *my* e-mail client as the mail store is locked. The debug logs show IMAP DELETE events which are ancient yet still being processed very very slowly.

Deleting all these *.eml's and renaming the index.fld to index.bad did not resolve the issue.

Any tips?
  •  
sedell

Send a private message to this user
Nixs wrote on Mon, 05 January 2009 16:23

I had a service go hay-wire over the weekend. A false positive in my antivirus software generated nearly a million e-mail alerts.
I feel your pain. I had a false positive wreak havoc on my network several months ago, and it wasn't fun. Fortunately, I didn't get that kind of e-mail in my inbox.

Nixs wrote on Mon, 05 January 2009 16:23

But my mailstore is still unusable. I tried deleting the e-mails, but IMAP has taken over 48 hours now to delete these.

I can't even launch *my* e-mail client as the mail store is locked. The debug logs show IMAP DELETE events which are ancient yet still being processed very very slowly.

Deleting all these *.eml's and renaming the index.fld to index.bad did not resolve the issue.

Any tips?

I've run into issues in the past with renaming the index.fld to index.bad. It doesn't seem to check the contents of the mail folder for missing items, like something that was deleted from the file system, so they still show in the mail folder via webmail/Outlook after the re-index. I'm wondering if this happened to you, and if it's the reason deleting is taking so long - like each message goes through a delete, the server can't find it, hiccups a bit, then moves to the next, and so on.

First, I would kill the IMAP client to get it to stop the deletion queue. If that doesn't free up the account, I'd give the KMS service a restart.

If this is not your inbox, and there isn't much mail to lose that you're worried about, I would log into webmail, delete the folder, then re-create it.

If that's not an option, either because it's your inbox, or there's other mail to lose, I have another thought. I normally wouldn't recommend this, but rename the index.fld to something like index.old, and make sure there isn't an index.bad. Use webmail (to keep a client from hanging and trying to reconnect), and open the folder. That should initiate a full re-index. That can take some time if there is any amount of mail in the folder since it has to scan each message to add to the index. The downside is you lose flag info, like read/unread, if the message was replied to or forwarded, etc.

Scott
Previous Topic: Apple iCal + Kerio CalDav
Next Topic: Email outside in domain
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 09:22:02 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00442 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.