Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KOFF and Windows 2003 Terminal Server (Anyone here using this combination with Folder Redirection?)
  •  
TorW

Send a private message to this user
Is anyone here running KOFF on Windows 2003 Terminal Server with Folder Redirection? The TS-es stores the Application Data folder on a central file server (meaning the AppData folder doesn't follow the roaming profile around), but every time the user logs off, the KOFF database vanishes in thin air.

For those who don't know about roaming profiles: the profile is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\ only as long as the user is logged in. At logoff, the profile is copied back to the file server. Because of "Folder Redirection" on the terminal server, the Application Data folder sits in the same location on the file server the whole time.

Next logon, KOFF starts another initial synchronization because it can't find the KOFF store, which ideally should be in the users "\Application Data\Kerio\Outlook Connector\Outlook.xxx.xxx.xxx\STORE.FDB". Only it isn't.

I have submitted a ticket with support, but I'm not optimistic.
  •  
TorW

To make a long story short: KOFF always stores the cached mailbox on C:, ignoring Application Data Folder Redirection set forth in Group Policies. The result is that the entire offline store is being copied back and forth across the LAN when a user logs on and off with a roaming profile. Not good for 3GB mailboxes.

Thus, we cannot use KOC since it doesn't display the owner names on shared calendars in Outlook (many users display Free/Busy for up to 30 other users), nor can we use KOFF since we have limited space on the TS farm blade disks. Neither can we use Microsoft's Junction tool (or linkd.exe) since MS only accepts local volumes as reparse point targets, not UNC paths or mapped drives.

I have filed a suggestion with Kerio to have KOFF behave like I think it should. In case someone from Kerio sees this, the ticket number is OER-989666.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

There are only three options where to store the database with KOFF data:

1. AppData/Local (local data) - database remains on the local computer in user profile. No copying, fast access to the database.
2. AppData/Roaming - database will be copied between server and client on every user login/logout which could be terribly slow.
3. Put database on network share (server). This will make Outlook unusable due to high network latency. Outlook and KOFF is very intensive database application.

KOFF use option #1.
  •  
TorW

If Kerio had given us the opportunity to store the KOFF database somewehere else than C:, we could have put it on a SAN disk shared by all the terminal servers. This does away with the problems in points 2 and 3. When you have a dozen terminal servers, you need roaming profiles.

Or, as I suggested elsewhere, make a connector that doesn't do caching but still knows all the KOFF tricks.
  •  
rblakely

The problem I found with KOFF on Terminal Services is that each user's instance of KOFF uses a massive amount of RAM. KOFF seriously limits the number of users you can put on a 32bit host with a 4GB RAM limit. I had to uninstall KOFF and revert to KOC on our Terminal Server because of this.
Previous Topic: Free/Busy Information in Outlook Connector (online)
Next Topic: 2 Domains with 1 IP..
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 01:52:04 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00403 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.