Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio MailServer using System's Default IP (Can't stop Kerio from using system's default IP to send mail)
  •  
vf1917

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

Just a quick question re: IP binding in Kerio. Under the Services tab, I bound all of the services to the specific IP I'd like Kerio to use and everything's working fine from a functionality perspective.

However, one problem I am experiencing is the fact that KMS is using the system's default IP to route outgoing mail and I think that's contributing to some problems with spam filters of popular e-mail providers like Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail as there's a mismatch of IP's.

I have the proper A and PTR records setup for the IP I specified under Services along with a corresponding MX record. The problem is that in the message headers of outgoing mail, KMS is using the default system IP to route outgoing mail instead of the IP I specified under Services. Some e-mail providers may see this mismatch as suspicious and automatically flag it spam in the recipient's mailbox.

I tried looking at the mailserver.cfg file and changed the "BindIP" variable under "Misc" to the IP I want to use. However, KMS refuses to use that IP and continues to send mail using the default IP.

Any ideas on how I can stop KMS from using the default system IP to route outgoing mail?

Thanks.

•  
Mozilla77

I'm not sure if this is same problem I had early on but when I was testing I had a test server ServerA and setup up test account. After testing I moved the data over to its permanent home but it retained the name of the old server and was attaching that to all the headers causing the domain to be blacklisted.

Click on domains in the admin console and at the top it says Internet hostname, put your corresponding MX record that you want on your headers here. Start and Stop the mail server.
  •  
ikheetleon

Kerio mailserver is not a ip routing engine. I think the functionality you are looking for can be found within a router or firewall, not in a groupware (backend) solution like KMS.

The bind option is used for listening ports (inbound traffic to the mailserver), not outbound traffic, that's ip routing functionality.

Maybe you can make a routemap or static nat entry in your firewall or router?

Any traffic with destination port 25, origins from a specified source address. Or any traffic with source addres 10.x.x.x will use nat entry v.w.x.y?

Regards,

Leon
  •  
sedell

No, Kerio isn't an IP routing engine. On the other hand, just about every other mail server I've worked with allowed binding to a specific IP address for outbound mail.

Scott
  •  
ikheetleon

Personally I would never want an application to make ip routing decissions. That's up to the network. But from what I read in your post, Kerio is running on an outside ip address, is that correct?
  •  
cwachs

I agree with Sedell on this. The application should allow you to assign the IP associated with outbound traffic from a machine with multiple IP's. I have my Kerio in a co-location rack. I don't have my own router in that facility, I have to use the routers of the co-location ISP in order to get public IP's. Having them input router tables for this purpose is not an option. This is basic functionality that should be selected by the application. I am able to do this with every other application running on my servers except Kerio. Sendmail allows this. Communigate Pro does. Even my very old copy of Eudora Internet Mail Server allows this.

-----------
Server installation:
Kerio Connect 7.1
OS X Server 10.5.8
Apple G4 X Serve
  •  
anthony.somerset

i found out previously from delving into the install directory that kerio uses sendmail to actually deliver the mail so i assume its just a matter of adding the option in the admin panel?

someone in kerio may be able to provide more info or correct me if i am wrong

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
Previous Topic: One centralized webmail login for multiple server possible?
Next Topic: how do you move from unique public folders to global public folders
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 09:14:48 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00475 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.