Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » What are your thoughts on Entourage for Exchange services with Kerio?...
  •  
sfpete

Send a private message to this user
Entourage for Exchange Web Services

Simply put, Entourage for Exchange Web Services - or, as MacBU's general manager, Eric Wilfrid, more succinctly refers to it, Entourage EWS - is an extension of the server-side processing benefits provided by Exchange Server 2007 (SP1 or later) to Entourage 2008 for Mac.

And, to hear Tedesco talk about them, the benefits are extensive.

Currently, the Entourage/Exchange relationship is based on WebDAV (http://www.webdav.org/), which - according to Tedesco - requires that the majority of the management of the communication between Entourage and Exchange is performed on the client side, which "owns all the logic".

Currently, "anything that happens - whether you're sending an email or accepting a meeting request, whatever the case may be, all that work is happening on the client".

Not good.

Such client-side processing makes troubleshooting tough, seeing as how admins must face an army of clients deploying an array of different devices from Macs to iPhones - tracking down an offender is no easy feat. With Entourage EWS, says Tedesco, "If there's an issue, I have one place to look for it". That one place being the server, since that's where the bulk of the Exchange processing will take place under Entourage EWS.

Client-side processing wreaks havoc on network traffic, too, according to Tedesco. "With WebDAV, if I accept a meeting request... it's six network calls to the server - with the Exchange Web Services it's one." Because the bulk of the Exchange access and management duties will be switched from the client to the server in Entourage EWS, "we'll have to do very minimal work to get an item on the server, and the server handles the rest".

Easier troubleshooting, less network traffic - all good stuff. If everything works as advertised, Entourage EWS could relieve a few IT headaches when it's released later this year. Currently it's in private beta, being pounded on by "20 enterprise-level customers" from the education, public, and private sectors. A public beta will be released later this month.
  •  
fastred

I sincerely hope that this will be possible with Kerio Mailserver...

Because Task synchronisation is one of the key issues we have struggled without...
  •  
fastred

Or another way to pose the question... Is Kerio's inter-operability with Entourage reliant on WebDAV, and will Kerio be able to handle the shift of Entourage to Exchange Web Services ?

Jeremy
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I can't comment it until we will see the first beta version. Kerio MailServer is providing most complex Entourage support available on the market (equal to Exchange) and we are willing to continue in leading the market in the future.
  •  
My IT Indy

I'm pretty excited. Entourage pretty much sucks right now. If it's going to be a slow monstrous app, have it actually do something.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
fastred

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Wed, 07 January 2009 22:22

I can't comment it until we will see the first beta version. Kerio MailServer is providing most complex Entourage support available on the market (equal to Exchange) and we are willing to continue in leading the market in the future.

Thanks! This is great to hear Smile

Kerio is a great product, keep up the good work.

Jeremy
  •  
Will Mayall

There are two parts to this answer:

1. Is it good that Entourage will have new features?
2. How will it affect users of Kerio servers?

Regarding the upcoming Entourage EWS features, here is a good overview: The Entourage Help Blog

The features that they list are:

1. Synchronization of Tasks
2. Synchronization of Notes
3. Synchronization of Categories
4. Support for attachments in Exchange Server calendar events
5. Logging for troubleshooting
6. More simplified Autodiscovery of Exchange Servers
7. Global Address List searches when connected via Outlook Web Access (OWA)

The first three items are probably the most useful. I currently have scripts running in Entourage which save the Categories and restore them if there are any issues.

But I am much more interested in Entourage becoming a more robust email client than adding new features. There are already more features in Entourage than most people need but even the features that get used are risky since the database can get blown out and you can lose data.

Regarding Kerio mail servers, updates to Entourage's support for Exchange seems a bit scary. Microsoft has a long history of trying to lock out competitors by using proprietary protocols. Kerio has done a great job of emulating an Exchange server. In some ways, Entourage seems to work better with KMS than Exchange.

Kerio has worked aggressively to provide very good support for Entourage. I hope they will be able to continue to do so in the future.

Will Mayall
  •  
rinzwind

EWS (Exchange Web Services) is already available on Exchange 2007. New is that Entourage is going to use them. So Kerio could already take a look at EWS. I hope MS has released a full specification of the web services. If these web services are any good, then more mail/groupware clients can benefit from it by providing better Exchange integration.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 January 2009 09:15]

Previous Topic: Double Entries in Directory Server and No iCal Autocomplete
Next Topic: Microsoft plan to drop WebDAV in Entourage update? READ THIS!
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 19:37:43 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00460 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.